[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HVAC Question

T_bone65

My heat pump keeps freezing up and shutting off. If it does run I feel no air coming out of the vents at all, it is 86 upstairs. Does this mean I am out of Freon? I am an idiot about this stuff but I called our service company and they are coming out tomorrow morning, what should I expect?

TIA for any help

My heat pump keeps freezing up and shutting off. If it does run I feel no air coming out of the vents at all, it is 86 upstairs. Does this mean I am out of Freon? I am an idiot about this stuff but I called our service company and they are coming out tomorrow morning, what should I expect?

TIA for any help

Pretty sure that it does that when you are low on freon. You may have a slight leak and will need to call a repairman with a detector to know for sure.

Pretty sure that it does that when you are low on freon. You may have a slight leak and will need to call a repairman with a detector to know for sure.

:wacko: Thats kind of what I figured. I turned the thermostat off as well so it doesn't just run.

This is more than likely the cause. Also, check your filter. If it's really, really dirty it can cause this also. And depending on the age of your HP, you may be in need of replacement. Do not buy anything without talking to me or sending me a PM

Chief Dick will be along shortly to tell you what a moran you are. :wacko:

And you're a moran.

I can almost guarantee you have a leak somewhere cause Freon doesn't just go away. It doesn't evaporate or wear away or disappear on its own. I'm guessing with the repair and refill, you're looking at a bill around $300.

This is more than likely the cause. Also, check your filter. If it's really, really dirty it can cause this also. And depending on the age of your HP, you may be in need of replacement. Do not buy anything without talking to me or sending me a PM

And you're a moran.

Checking the filters now, and the house is just over 5 years old.

ETA: The filters both look fine, we have the 90 day kind but they are both good to go.

Edited by T_bone65

If someone turned the thermostat down to low that could cause the unit to "freeze up"....turning it off and allowing it to thaw out and giving it another shot might be worth it....but honestly that usually happens in retail stores where employees are idiots...so like CD said, you are fooked (probably).

Edited by keggerz

Well, everything is thawed now after being off for 3 hours and will see what happens. It is 85 inside right now and my 4 y/o is sweating in her sleep. Going to let it run and see if it cools down, I can feel some cool air coming from the vents and it isn't frozen back up yet

Edited by T_bone65

Well, everything is thawed now after being off for 3 hours and will see what happens. It is 85 inside right now and my 4 y/o is sweating in her sleep. Going to let it run and see if it cools down, I can feel some cool air coming from the vents and it isn't frozen back up yet

I remember this happened to us last summer, right before we were set to have a bunch of people over for a Memorial Day (or was it a Fourth of July?) party. Fortunately we have a portable a/c unit that we used in our great room and most everyone was outside anyways. It thawed out for at least 3 hours but it went back on and we haven't had any problems since.

It is still 76 upstairs and I turned the thermostat back on again about an hour ago. I turned it off at 1:00 AM after it was still over 82 :wacko: Hope to hear from service compant within the next 30 minutes

Our coil froze once because of a freon leak. I agree with rajn. That's prob what it is. We had a leak in the line. Fixed it and gave it a blast of freon and we are good to go

On a 5 year old unit I probably would have done the same.

Where was the leak?

In the attic where a 1inch pipe goes into another pipe, bad soder joint I guess :wacko: He is draining all of the air out of the system still and then has to put in 5-6 lbs of freon