[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Duchess Jack

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why does it not surprise me in the least that this "top social conservative" is someone no one has ever heard of.

but they guy has a point. those stormtroopers are totally ghey.

:wacko:

The American Family Association, founded in 1978, is a fixture in the social conservative community. And Fischer isn't a nobody. He's currently scheduled to speak at "Values Voter" summit in September, along with Reps. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) and Mike Pence (R-IN) and Mike Huckabee.

:wacko:

The "Value Voters" seminar isn't exactly the GOP National Convention. I think if we apply the criteria used to establish him as a "top social conservative" to both sides,of the isle, there'd be embarrassment a-plenty to go around.

The "Value Voters" seminar isn't exactly the GOP National Convention. I think if we apply the criteria used to establish him as a "top social conservative" to both sides,of the isle, there'd be embarrassment a-plenty to go around.

But it is the current face of the GOP. Palin, Bachman, Huckabee, Naked Senator from Massachusetts and Rand Paul.

The military has always had homosexual personnel. Anyone that thinks different hasn't been paying attention.

In 1966 my ship was in the yards here in Bremerton having just come back from the Nam. We all frequented this one bar downtown, because it was a great bar, and it was owned by two retired navy guys.....both homosexuals. Both had joined during the war. (1942 for one and 1943 for the other.)

They talked one of my crew to out himself.... and goodbye.... out on a medical discharge. Had two others that got caught enjoying themselves while we underway back to the States and they were gone too.... after they were courts martialed.

Throughout my career worked with many that preferred their own side of the aisle. As long as they didn't say anything nothing happened to them and they continued to serve. Those that said something, or were "found out/caught" were gone. None of the people I was stationed with ever felt "threatened" in the shower or anywhere else....we couldn't have cared less as long as the "other aislers" did their job. Which they all did.

Don't ask, don't tell worked for a long time before it was called "Don't ask, don't tell."

this thread really wasn't even political until you decided to come in and "perch it". good job :tup:

That is an awesome phrase. From now on, let's try to limit the perching of non-politician threads. :wacko: God knows there are enough threads on the subject (and yes I know the military is part of the government, but it's not like they wear donkey or elephant uniforms so I think it'd be nice to not get side tracked).

Don't ask, don't tell worked for a long time before it was called "Don't ask, don't tell."

I guess that is kind of what I wonder. It's not like a physical exam is going to find out that a soldier has caught "the ghey". So whatever we call it, some gays are going to let people know and some are not. I think soldiers worth a dump are going to know they have bigger things to worry about. Whether they are in a fox hole or not, being in a foreign country with a limited number of friendly faces around would sure make me give a crap less if the guy next to me has different sexual, political, or social beliefs.

A few things:

1. Sodomy is a crime in the military. Basically every homosexual would eventually be brought up on charges.

2. Many current servers in the military swore an oath and signed their name on official documents saying they were not homosexual. Coming out would be bad since lying on an official document is a crime. Every thing they say or sign comes into question as being truthful.

3. Congress governs the laws for service members. It's not necessarily the service members that need to be swayed, it's Congress. If Congress changes the law, the service members will follow the law put before them.

4. It costs money for separate dormitories, housing, bathrooms, and such. Probably thousands of documents reference being homosexual, all the documents have to be updated and distributed. Financially it's tough to change a law. It's not a snap of the fingers to accomplish.

5. Most military installations aren't necessarily in progressive locations. Homosexuality isn't accepted many places in the world, let alone in the USA. Service members and family members safety are put in jeopardy once they leave the installation.

6. The primary religion of our nation largely abhors homosexuality. Organized religion itself is known for life taking causes. Another safety concern.

6. That said: Gays have always been in the military, heck the Romans took over nearly all the civilized world with a large gay population.

A few things:

1. Sodomy is a crime in the military. Basically every homosexual would eventually be brought up on charges.

2. Many current servers in the military swore an oath and signed their name on official documents saying they were not homosexual. Coming out would be bad since lying on an official document is a crime. Every thing they say or sign comes into question as being truthful.

3. Congress governs the laws for service members. It's not necessarily the service members that need to be swayed, it's Congress. If Congress changes the law, the service members will follow the law put before them.

4. It costs money for separate dormitories, housing, bathrooms, and such. Probably thousands of documents reference being homosexual, all the documents have to be updated and distributed. Financially it's tough to change a law. It's not a snap of the fingers to accomplish.

5. Most military installations aren't necessarily in progressive locations. Homosexuality isn't accepted many places in the world, let alone in the USA. Service members and family members safety are put in jeopardy once they leave the installation.

6. The primary religion of our nation largely abhors homosexuality. Organized religion itself is known for life taking causes. Another safety concern.

6. That said: Gays have always been in the military, heck the Romans took over nearly all the civilized world with a large gay population.

What's a "Gay"? :wacko:

We're all talking about "ghey's" on this thread. :tup:

A few things:

so, um... does this also apply to hetero males that like a little back-door fun with the women folk?

As somebody else mentioned - they're likely doing it now as well. Why not punish it in the same manner that you would a male serviceman buggering a female serviceman.

To suggest that this is in place to protect gheys is laughable. They don't seem to think so - and if they were worried - they could always 'not tell' even if the rule telling them to 'not tell' is removed.

And we should coddle these people? We should worry about their bigotry? If they cannot handle themselves in the right way with a fellow soldier - how are they going to handle themselves when stationed in Iraq and Afganistan when surrounded by people they have reason to not like?

How many female service women were raped by fellow officers last year? How many had to deal with sexism? Should we ban all women from the military?

As an ex military guy who served in Desert Shield/Storm, I'm telling you how it is At least when I was in. I can almost certainly say it hasn't changed. I'm not asking anybody to agree with it or am I saying this is my opinion on the subject matter. I'm just telling you how it was and how it almost certainly is now.

Unless you have served in the military, have been on a ship for 6 months with the same people, day in and day out, it would be rather hard to understand the view of gheys on board. It isn't nice and it certainly isn't something I would want my children to learn. But it is what it is and I find it extremely hard to imagine that times have changed all that much. And this is the NAVY I'm talking about. I can tell you its 100x's worse in the Marines or Army.

As an ex military guy who served in Desert Shield/Storm, I'm telling you how it is At least when I was in. I can almost certainly say it hasn't changed. I'm not asking anybody to agree with it or am I saying this is my opinion on the subject matter. I'm just telling you how it was and how it almost certainly is now.

Unless you have served in the military, have been on a ship for 6 months with the same people, day in and day out, it would be rather hard to understand the view of gheys on board. It isn't nice and it certainly isn't something I would want my children to learn. But it is what it is and I find it extremely hard to imagine that times have changed all that much. And this is the NAVY I'm talking about. I can tell you its 100x's worse in the Marines or Army.

I heard you make a mean chipped beef on Toast . .SOS sailor! :wacko:

No problems when I was in the Navy. Most of the homos I knew were as out of the closet as one could be under don't ask don't tell. Never was an issue in my 4 years.

:wacko: DADT started in 1993. You were out of the Navy in 1992.