[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Golf Club (Air) Travel Bag

Bengal Mania

I am taking my first golf trip by air this fall (going to Pinehurst!), so I need to buy a travel bag.

Hard shell seems obvious buy, but they seem a lot more expensive than soft shell

Soft bag has enough room to pack everything else as well. (also has padding around club heads), which also helps w/ luggage fees. I also think soft bag would be easy to throw on top of van on future driving trips (I guess hard would as well)

What do you all think is the way to go?

I have no idea when I'd ever take clubs on plane again, but you never know......

thanks

Edited by Bengal Mania

I'd say a good thick soft bag is the way to go. I've got a hard one and it's just too clunky. It works, but it does have a hard time fitting in smaller vehicles. If you do get a hard one, try be watchful of the size as some are too big.

I typically recommend the soft shell to my customers, but make sure it has good padding! The soft shell will let you fit all sorts of extra stuff and it just a lot easier to lug around. If you get one with good padding, you won't have any problem at all. The hard shells are hard to transport, hard to store, don't hold as much stuff, and don't protect the clubs any better than the soft case. The clubs tend to bang together a litlte more in the hardcases and they are prone to crack a little bit. The biggest benefit of the soft case I have found is that you can stuff all your dirty clothes in it for your drive home. Not to pimp my site, but here is a link to the one that I use personally:

Golf Travel Bag--Club Limo

Also the Roadster and Spyder are very functional. By all means let me know if you have any questions.

If you do choose a hard case, I recommend something that has different sections that can colllapse down to make it smaller.

Edited by Seahawks21

which also helps w/ luggage fees.
You might check to see how much the luggage fee is and compare that to shipping your clubs to your hotel via fedex/ups and have them waiting for you when you check in.

Club glove last bag

Agree, I love mine. Club Glove Website

However, the airlines don't warranty against club breakage with a soft sided bag. They make you sign a waiver, at least Southwest does. However, they don't charge extra for the clubs. I have never had an issue with club damage as it is nicely padded and you can stuff 2 pairs of shoes along with lots of clothes around the clubs.

I bought myself a hard sided case about 10 years ago, just because it put me more at ease that my clubs would arrive undamaged. Most of my friends I have traveled with all use the soft sided travel bags and none have had any problems. And as several have mentioned, you can generally stuff more things in your soft bag then your hard case.

However, I know more and more people that are using this approach mentioned below by cdrudge. When you stop and think about it, who are you going to trust more with your clubs, the airlines and their baggage people or FedEx or UPS? I don't trust the airlines with any of my luggage any more.

You might check to see how much the luggage fee is and compare that to shipping your clubs to your hotel via fedex/ups and have them waiting for you when you check in.

I have a hard case and am abouut to change it out for a (well padded) soft case. As others have stated, I feel like I'll be able to put more things in it and it will be a litttle easier to store at home.

Most airlines consider golf clubs like a normal piece of luggage so you shouldn't have to pay an extra fees for them. I have thought about shipping my clubs via fed ex/ups before but last time i checked it was a lot cheaper to just pay the airline luggage fee.