[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I told you they were evil

Kid Cid

No HOA here, but we moved into a neighborhood with some pretty extensive CC&Rs. As luck would have it, we live right next door to a brother/sister that take them over-seriously. Can't wait for our newness to wear off to the point they stop giving us "friendly reminders" about cars being in the driveway overnight or not getting the garbage cans in fast enough. :wacko:

You must be a saint, Jim. I'd have told them to F off first time they said anything like that.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be a saint, Jim. I'd have told them to F off first time they said anything like that.

Oh, it's coming. My wife has deftly jumped in front of me more than once... :tup:

Seriously, this bro-sis combo do not work and are home ALL day with nothing more to worry about than what the neighbors are doing.

They mentioned to my wife that they noticed our dogs like to string the trash out. Our dogs are in the backyard behind a 6' privacy fence. How the hell did they know my dogs got into the garbage? We're starting to wonder if they have cameras positioned in the trees and have a hugh bank of monitors in their house to e-patrol the neiborhood. Super :wacko:

after 3 yrs of keeping your trash can in the same place they tell you that it has to be moved into a more inconspicuous spot...you know to keep the "neighborhood" looking good :oldrolleyes:

we lived in a development with an HOA about 10-12 years ago in a city outside of phoenix, which underwent a massive building boom. one time we got fined for having our trash cans in view from the street. another time we got fined for having some weeds in our front lawn. you had to get approval to paint your house -- any color was OK, as long as it was beige. there were literally HOA people with nothing better to do than drive around the neighborhood looking for reasons to fine homeowners.

i understand the benefits -- houses with overgrown weeds and cars on blocks are a blight -- but the lengths some of these people went to was beyond ridiculous. we even had a rule that we couldn't leave our garage door open for no reason -- because, you know, the last thing i'd want is to have my neighbor try to talk to me.

or in your case, rice bowl.

Or soup bowl 6 houses away.

And why would you want to pay dues to have a busybody who thinks the Communist party was too lenient tell you how to live in your own home? :wacko:

Yep, we have an HOA here too like montster said to basically tell you to keep the weeds away and make sure everything looks cookie cutter.

You know, if you rip up the sod and spray paint the dirt green it would meet those conditions.

Got a letter from the HOA one time... "Please remove your christmas wreath from the front door"... Dated, December 28th... Sent them a letter back:

Dear HOA People,

Thank you for noticing the beautiful wreath I have placed on my door to Celebrate the Holidays. This particular wreath is not strictly a Christmas wreath and as a practicing Jew I resent the accusation. This wreath is in fact a holiday wreath, it was placed there to celebrate this wonderful time of year. As it is a holiday wreath and New Years and Kwanzaa have not yet arrived or ended, I will not be taking the wreath down, yet.

Thank you!

Got a letter on Jan 2nd... Please remove your holiday wreath from your door...

What does an HOA add in terms of making it worthwhile?

Here, we have a lake and our neighborhood is at least 600 acres, at least. We have no gated security and the HOA partners with the local poilce for security (we have break-ins alot, usually parked cars). That is alot of landscaping and alot of wooden fences with signs. The lake has grounds. The HOA also settles disputes between neighbors when it comes to cutting trees, drainage, etc. Also, they keep cousin Eddy from parking his ugly motor home in the front yard. There is more, but you get the gist.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

This is sad and I do not promote the HOA's actions so don't give me any flak when I say this, BUT, I think there is something missing in the story...

why didn't the wife pay the dues? didn't she get a late notice on the first month and why didn't she call her husband then? why didn't she call him the second month? couldn't she have sold something (even a wedding ring would be a last resort) to pay the dues? was she scared to tell the husband the truth? All I read was that the husband got a call from the wife saying their house was already for sale. Did she fail to mention the previous 3 months+ of late notices? Where was the call to the hubby saying "we just got a late notice and I spent the money somewhere else and need money". She got 2 late notices and had two chances to make that call but nowhere in the article do I remember seeing those calls being made. Where were those calls. It says the hubby got the first call when the HOA had already put the house up for sale. That's a little late notice to the hubby. The dues were $250 each month. She knew she missed the payment and didn't tell her hubby. Then she got fined after she missed her second payment b/c she didn't ask her hubby for help. I think the wife may have really dropped the ball and was affraid to tell her hubby in the first place, or maybe they purposely ignored their responsibility to the HOA. Something just seems missing here ... it is like the story is altered to piss us off and put no blame on why they were really in this position in the first place.

In our community, Our HOA tkaes care of lanscaping and snow removal for all public areas, posts reminders about cleaning up after your pets, visually inspects the extreior of all homes to ensure weeds are not overgrown, siding/roofs are in order, paint is not chipping, etc. They also negotiate rates for our trash removal, getting a little better than what we'd get on our own. Thats basically the upside.

The downside is they are a true pain in the neck. We have a recreation area within the community with a baseball field as part of it. Almost never used, and it shows. its the one area that is not kept as nicely as it should be. My son's team tried to use it for a couple informal practices back in the spring. 7 of the 12 members of his team live in the community. A local busybody neighbor saw us getting the field ready (over and above what the normal landscaper does....weeding the infield, reparing the backstop, etc., so that even after our 3-4 practices were over it could be in better shape then when we got there). Two days later, a letter comes from the HOA saying we can't use the field for "formal" practices....even though over half the team lives in the community! They said it was not to be used for pre-planned events.

Uh, isn't anytime a group of kids get together to play baseball, its pre-planned? or are they suppsoed to just know when to show up?

So I worte a letter back, saying thanks for the info, and that our kids will just play in the street and in neighbor's yards instead of utilizing a baseball field that was originally built for the purpose of giving the kids a place to play. :wacko:

Got a letter from the HOA one time... "Please remove your christmas wreath from the front door"... Dated, December 28th... Sent them a letter back:

Dear HOA People,

Thank you for noticing the beautiful wreath I have placed on my door to Celebrate the Holidays. This particular wreath is not strictly a Christmas wreath and as a practicing Jew I resent the accusation. This wreath is in fact a holiday wreath, it was placed there to celebrate this wonderful time of year. As it is a holiday wreath and New Years and Kwanzaa have not yet arrived or ended, I will not be taking the wreath down, yet.

Thank you!

Got a letter on Jan 2nd... Please remove your holiday wreath from your door...

Or say the Chrismas holiday is celebrated through January 6th (the 12th day of Christmas). This is a traditional day of taking down decorations.

I am so happy to be out of our HOA when we moved. The current busy-body retired money-borrowing couple across the street is trying to start one. We have 8 houses and only one said yes. I think they were disappointed. :wacko:

Out here in the country, people like to be left alone and mind yer own business. In fact, they named their house (I hate people that name their stuff) "On Golden Pond" because they are old and crusty like the movie. They had a small brick facade built with a plaque on it and everything on their driveway. I told the SO I was considering doing the same and naming it "MYOB".

If they push it too far, I may tell them my first rule will be that all cars must be parked in the garage. Their garage is so filled with junk, they can't park their 2 cars in it. Let's see how they think about stuff that affects them.

In our community, Our HOA tkaes care of lanscaping and snow removal for all public areas, posts reminders about cleaning up after your pets, visually inspects the extreior of all homes to ensure weeds are not overgrown, siding/roofs are in order, paint is not chipping, etc. They also negotiate rates for our trash removal, getting a little better than what we'd get on our own. Thats basically the upside.

The downside is they are a true pain in the neck. We have a recreation area within the community with a baseball field as part of it. Almost never used, and it shows. its the one area that is not kept as nicely as it should be. My son's team tried to use it for a couple informal practices back in the spring. 7 of the 12 members of his team live in the community. A local busybody neighbor saw us getting the field ready (over and above what the normal landscaper does....weeding the infield, reparing the backstop, etc., so that even after our 3-4 practices were over it could be in better shape then when we got there). Two days later, a letter comes from the HOA saying we can't use the field for "formal" practices....even though over half the team lives in the community! They said it was not to be used for pre-planned events.

Uh, isn't anytime a group of kids get together to play baseball, its pre-planned? or are they suppsoed to just know when to show up?

So I worte a letter back, saying thanks for the info, and that our kids will just play in the street and in neighbor's yards instead of utilizing a baseball field that was originally built for the purpose of giving the kids a place to play. :wacko:

It is always the old people on the board who get all uptight. Here, the members have to be voted in for a 3 year term. It is like normal politics, the old folks stick up for each other.

This is sad and I do not promote the HOA's actions so don't give me any flak when I say this, BUT, I think there is something missing in the story...

why didn't the wife pay the dues? didn't she get a late notice on the first month and why didn't she call her husband then? why didn't she call him the second month? couldn't she have sold something (even a wedding ring would be a last resort) to pay the dues? was she scared to tell the husband the truth? All I read was that the husband got a call from the wife saying their house was already for sale. Did she fail to mention the previous 3 months+ of late notices? Where was the call to the hubby saying "we just got a late notice and I spent the money somewhere else and need money". She got 2 late notices and had two chances to make that call but nowhere in the article do I remember seeing those calls being made. Where were those calls. It says the hubby got the first call when the HOA had already put the house up for sale. That's a little late notice to the hubby. The dues were $250 each month. She knew she missed the payment and didn't tell her hubby. Then she got fined after she missed her second payment b/c she didn't ask her hubby for help. I think the wife may have really dropped the ball and was affraid to tell her hubby in the first place, or maybe they purposely ignored their responsibility to the HOA. Something just seems missing here ... it is like the story is altered to piss us off and put no blame on why they were really in this position in the first place.

Did you miss the bit about Texas allowing this within only 27 days?

I am so happy to be out of our HOA when we moved. The current busy-body retired money-borrowing couple across the street is trying to start one. We have 8 houses and only one said yes. I think they were disappointed. :wacko:

Out here in the country, people like to be left alone and mind yer own business. In fact, they named their house (I hate people that name their stuff) "On Golden Pond" because they are old and crusty like the movie. They had a small brick facade built with a plaque on it and everything on their driveway. I told the SO I was considering doing the same and naming it "MYOB".

If they push it too far, I may tell them my first rule will be that all cars must be parked in the garage. Their garage is so filled with junk, they can't park their 2 cars in it. Let's see how they think about stuff that affects them.

+ a bazillion. I will NEVER buy a house in a subdivison for this reason. I don't do HOAs

+ a bazillion. I will NEVER buy a house in a subdivison for this reason. I don't do HOAs

Not only that but even if all the neighbors wanted one, I'd refuse to have anything to do with it. I'm pretty sure they can't be imposed on anyone regardless of what everyone else wants.

There's a lot missing from the story...

A more detailed article

The Heritage Lakes Homeowners Association was initially owed $977.55 and sent multiple notices by certified mail demanding payment. All went unanswered, said David Margulies, spokesman for the association and its management company, Select Management.

The problem, according to a lawyer for the Clauers, was that Michael Clauer – U.S. Army National Guard Capt. Michael Clauer – was deployed to Iraq.

His wife, suffering from depression over her husband's absence, had let mail pile up and didn't open any of the certified letters. May Clauer and her parents owned the house mortgage-free.

Margulies said his clients are aware of the law and routinely check for military connections before foreclosure. In this case, he said, a letter from the military incorrectly stated Clauer was not in the service.

"This was the perfect storm," said Margulies, noting his clients took all the required precautions. "Nobody's ever seen this situation."

"The HOA would love to see him get his house back," Margulies said of Michael Clauer, who commanded a company responsible for convoy security. But Margulies said it's out of their hands because they don't have the home.

It was purchased at auction for $3,201 by Mark DiSanti of Dallas and Steeplechase Productions. Neither DiSanti nor his attorney could be reached for comment.

The house was sold in May 2009 for $135,000 to Jad Aboul-Jibin of Plano.

His attorney, Roland Love, said, "Mr. Aboul-Jibin supports our country and soldiers and has no objection to Ms. Clauer getting the home back."

"My client is an innocent purchaser in this and simply needs to be reimbursed, which no one has offered to do."

The Clauers have been allowed to continue living in the house under a judge's order. And this week, a federal district judge ordered all the parties involved to get together to try to reach a settlement on the question of ownership.

There's a lot missing from the story...

A more detailed article

The Heritage Lakes Homeowners Association was initially owed $977.55 and sent multiple notices by certified mail demanding payment. All went unanswered, said David Margulies, spokesman for the association and its management company, Select Management.

The problem, according to a lawyer for the Clauers, was that Michael Clauer – U.S. Army National Guard Capt. Michael Clauer – was deployed to Iraq.

His wife, suffering from depression over her husband's absence, had let mail pile up and didn't open any of the certified letters. May Clauer and her parents owned the house mortgage-free.

Margulies said his clients are aware of the law and routinely check for military connections before foreclosure. In this case, he said, a letter from the military incorrectly stated Clauer was not in the service.

"This was the perfect storm," said Margulies, noting his clients took all the required precautions. "Nobody's ever seen this situation."

"The HOA would love to see him get his house back," Margulies said of Michael Clauer, who commanded a company responsible for convoy security. But Margulies said it's out of their hands because they don't have the home.

It was purchased at auction for $3,201 by Mark DiSanti of Dallas and Steeplechase Productions. Neither DiSanti nor his attorney could be reached for comment.

The house was sold in May 2009 for $135,000 to Jad Aboul-Jibin of Plano.

His attorney, Roland Love, said, "Mr. Aboul-Jibin supports our country and soldiers and has no objection to Ms. Clauer getting the home back."

"My client is an innocent purchaser in this and simply needs to be reimbursed, which no one has offered to do."

The Clauers have been allowed to continue living in the house under a judge's order. And this week, a federal district judge ordered all the parties involved to get together to try to reach a settlement on the question of ownership.

I blame it on the simpleton of a wife that he has... I wonder if he beat her soundly for her negligence when he got home :wacko:

If this happened to me, I would make it my life's work to murder each and every one of the people who did this to me.

Seriously... if someone took a paid for home valued a $300k away from me like that, I would definitely do major physical harm to everyone involved. I don't know if I could bring myself to murder them. But I would absolutely 100% think up a bunch of cliaz-inspired forms of revenge. They would most definitely suffer, and probably wish for death.

I don't give a flying fart what part of our fine country any HOA is in, they all suck like a gutter queen. And most(I won't say all) board members think they have the self rightousness to control other home owners as to how to run their lives instead of worrying about their own. They need to check themselves before they wreck themselves, cause shotgun bullets are bad their health.

"uh we have bylaws here that state our HOA has the right to........" "Really? Well I have the right to put my boot firmly up your ass" I stopped doing any contract work for these types. They love to tell you how to do your job better, after they have hired you. My last response to one of these dryed up biznotches was this : "Hey do I go down to the street corner and knock the schlong out of your mouth and tell you how to do your job better?" Contract was terminated, go figure.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

I don't give a flying fart what part of our fine country any HOA is in, they all suck like a gutter queen. And most(I won't say all) board members think they have the self rightousness to control other home owners as to how to run their lives instead of worrying about their own. They need to check themselves before they wreck themselves, cause shotgun bullets are bad their health.

"uh we have bylaws here that state our HOA has the right to........" "Really? Well I have the right to put my boot firmly up your ass" I stopped doing any contract work for these types. Thet love to tell you how to do your job better, after they have hired you. My last response to one of these dryed up biznotches was this : "Hey do I go down to the street corner and knock the schlong out of your mouth and tell you how to do your job better?" Contract was terminated, go figure.

:wacko::tup::tup:

HOAs are the invention and domain of jumped up tinpot stunted weasels with sad existences.