[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Citizens are mad!

SEC=UGA

(CBS) Despite its name, Bell, Calif., doesn't have much of a ring to it these days. Unemployment is 16 percent and most people in this blue collar town make about $30,000 - unless they work at City Hall, reports CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy.

Irate taxpayers stormed the building after finding out that the city manager is paid nearly $800,000 to run a town of just 37,000 people.

"We're being ripped off, we're being looted by this administration and we want to put an end to it," said one protestor.

Robert Rizzo has run Bell for 17 years. His starting salary was a reported $72,000. Thanks to pay hikes and an automatic 12 percent annual raise, his salary has skyrocketed nearly 1,000 percent.

He now makes three times as much as the mayors of Los Angeles, $232,425, and Chicago, $216,210 and nearly twice as much as President Obama, $400,000. Rizzo doesn't even live in Bell, he lives in a million-dollar home near the ocean in Huntington Beach. Tracy went to City Hall to talk to him and he wasn't on the job.

Taxpayers are also angry that the city's police chief makes $457,000. That's twice a much as New York's police commissioner, $205,000, who leads nearly 35,000 officers. Bell's chief oversees 33.

"They asked me to come in and make an assessment and bring best practices to this police department, and I have diligently been trying to do that," said Bell's Police Chief Randy Adams.

Cristina Garcia is leading a grass-roots effort to have both men fired.

"When you think about the fact that you have a police chief earning half a million dollars, you could create 17 new police jobs with that," Garcia said.

Taxpayers also want the City Council that approved these salaries recalled. Those council members make nearly $100,000 and their jobs are part time.

I don't know if I find this funny or if I should be outraged... Oh, well.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not funny. But what kind of blind sheep let this go on for 17 years? I don't blame those guys for trying to get as much money as they can at their respective jobs. They didn't steal it or anything like that. I blame the lack of curiosity on the part of the constituents, and the clear lack of intelligence on the part of the city council.

$700,000 of it?

Not this guy. If I get called out on it - sure, but if somebody wants to overpay me I am all for it.

Is that you, JaMarcus? :wacko:

BTW - I wholeheartedly agree in a normal competitive environ, but when I see my constituents putting raggedy-ass clothes on skinny-ass urchins with snotty-noses and somnolent eyes from malnourishment, I'd think about taking care of somebody else, I think. I'd like to think I would, anyway.

Hell, I couldn't imagine kissing the first ass to go become a looting, pandering cucksocker anyway.

How stupid are the people for not actually knowing that? The police chief in Chicago makes 300K + a year and it is brought up almost weekly in a different article. Not to mention that they routinely do articles on obscure gubmnet departnets in Il and what they get paid . . .

and this is CHICAGO. Not a town of 37K . . .

How does that town manage to pass a budget with their tax base with that kind of salary imbalance? It aint like they can sell millions of dollars in bonds for a town of 37K like big cities do to try and balance their budgets . . .

Is that you, JaMarcus? :wacko:

BTW - I wholeheartedly agree in a normal competitive environ, but when I see my constituents putting raggedy-ass clothes on skinny-ass urchins with snotty-noses and somnolent eyes from malnourishment, I'd think about taking care of somebody else, I think. I'd like to think I would, anyway.

Hell, I couldn't imagine kissing the first ass to go become a looting, pandering cucksocker anyway.

nah, perhaps its my soul and phatness that threw you off.

You make a good point when you bring up the constituents end of thing - that does make a big difference. I don't do guilt well and beat myself up over the smallest Megan Foxbaggery almost daily.

I would like to think that I'd have the strength to give it back, but I don't know. Everytime the Wench and I get a promotion, the money just seems to go somewhere. Same amount goes to church and charity, but the rest just kind of seeps into life like some economic osmosis. It feels like we've been sitting on the cusp of being able to do more since my daugter was born. I guess my point is that good intentions are good intentions until you get there.

Definitely not funny. But what kind of blind sheep let this go on for 17 years? I don't blame those guys for trying to get as much money as they can at their respective jobs. They didn't steal it or anything like that. I blame the lack of curiosity on the part of the constituents, and the clear lack of intelligence on the part of the city council.

This.

And also the later point about "how the hell did they ever manage to put a town budget together?" :tup:

And who the heck signed off on a contract including automatic 12% raises? :wacko:

How did nobody know about this? Do the city's books not get audited? Like, ever? Not sure if what they did was illegal but it was most definitely immoral. They should give the money back but won't. The entire city council, mayor and police chief most-definitely should all get fired sans the one new councilman who was only getting paid $8k per year.

This.

And also the later point about "how the hell did they ever manage to put a town budget together?" :tup:

And who the heck signed off on a contract including automatic 12% raises? :wacko:

I'm guessing that they did.I'm also guessing that all the auditing was done by either the city manager,or someone on the city council that was in bed for $100,000 a year.But that's a just a guess. :tup:

How stupid are the people for not actually knowing that? The police chief in Chicago makes 300K + a year and it is brought up almost weekly in a different article. Not to mention that they routinely do articles on obscure gubmnet departnets in Il and what they get paid . . .

and this is CHICAGO. Not a town of 37K . . .

How does that town manage to pass a budget with their tax base with that kind of salary imbalance? It aint like they can sell millions of dollars in bonds for a town of 37K like big cities do to try and balance their budgets . . .

one word......politicians

Hmmm, Bell Calif, 90% Hispanic, looks like a majority of the voters could also be the elected officials.

But I bet the landscaping is awesome :wacko:

When I saw this thread title I figured "mad" meant "insane" in which case I wasn't exactly surprised to see it was California. :tup: lol @ the whole thing though.

Here's the really cool part.

California law limits the salaries of council members to several hundred dollars a month, depending on the size of the city, according to Hector De La Torre, a state assemblyman from nearby South Gate, who sponsored legislation in 2005 that limits how much council members can get paid from other city-related assignments to $150 a month.

De La Torre said that after his bill was passed, Bell’s City Council voted to operate under its own charter, rather than adhere to state laws on how cities should be run.

Let's make sure it's nice and legal when we start looting guys,ok?

California law limits the salaries of council members to several hundred dollars a month, depending on the size of the city, according to Hector De La Torre, a state assemblyman from nearby South Gate, who sponsored legislation in 2005 that limits how much council members can get paid from other city-related assignments to $150 a month.

I have to say that's equally ludicrous. $150 / month?

Hmmm, Bell Calif, 90% Hispanic, looks like a majority of the voters could also be the elected officials.

If anything, he's underpaid. They'd have to pay me a million dollars a year to manage 90% Mexicans. Could you imagine?

"Hey El Guapo, it's your turn to worky worky today."

"No Senor Mayor, me so tired. Me no worky. Maybe tomorrow. I gots to go."

"Not so fast El Guapo! Or I'll pump you so full of lead you'll be using your dick for a pencil! "

"What do you mean? "

"I don't know. "

"I think he means that if you... "

"Shut up! "

Well,looks like they resigned.

California City Officials Resign in Salary Scandal

Apparently there is no severance package for them.They are however,eligible for state pensions.

Rizzo would be entitled to a state pension of more than $650,000 a year for life, according to calculations made by the Times. That would make Rizzo, 56, the highest-paid retiree in the state pension system.

Adams could get more than $411,000 a year.

Spaccia, 51, could be eligible for as much as $250,000 a year when she reaches 55, though the figure is less precise than for the other two officials, the Times said.

Well,looks like they resigned.

California City Officials Resign in Salary Scandal

Apparently there is no severance package for them.They are however,eligible for state pensions.

Rizzo would be entitled to a state pension of more than $650,000 a year for life, according to calculations made by the Times. That would make Rizzo, 56, the highest-paid retiree in the state pension system.

Adams could get more than $411,000 a year.

Spaccia, 51, could be eligible for as much as $250,000 a year when she reaches 55, though the figure is less precise than for the other two officials, the Times said.

Sign me up for one of them gubment pensions... PLEASE!!!!!

If anything, he's underpaid. They'd have to pay me a million dollars a year to manage 90% Mexicans. Could you imagine?

"Hey El Guapo, it's your turn to worky worky today."

"No Senor Mayor, me so tired. Me no worky. Maybe tomorrow. I gots to go."

"Not so fast El Guapo! Or I'll pump you so full of lead you'll be using your dick for a pencil! "

"What do you mean? "

"I don't know. "

"I think he means that if you... "

"Shut up! "

I laughed out loud