[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Social Security

Avernus

I'm trying to find a way to stop paying into Social Security and read that I would need IRS form 4852 - this is incorrect (I think anyways)

does anyone here know of a way to legally stop paying into Social Security?

'preciate the feedback in advance..

Members of certain religious groups who are opposed to accepting the benefits of any public or private insurance for death, disability, old age, retirement or health care can request to be exempted from paying social security and Medicare taxes on earnings as an employee or on earnings from self-employment. The tax exemptions must be applied for on Form 4029 Application for Exemption From Social Security and Medicare Taxes and Waiver of Benefits.

that and having a military pension i think, are the only ways to get out of it. or not making money.

I am pretty sure the only legal way to stop paying in is to stop having any income. It's not about you not paying for you, it is about you not paying for everyone else that they consider the problem. I would bet that waiver that dmarc mentions would be not be taken lightly and would require a ridiculous amount of proof you are not scamming the government. I worked with (and against) the IRS for many years in cases involving both individuals and a business. Not much wiggle room on their side.

If there were an easy way to opt out of Social Security people would be doing it all the time. Heck I would pay a decent amount of money just for the opportunity to stop contributing now with the understanding that I forfeit all rights to draw any money from the bankrupt program some day in the future.

If there were an easy way to opt out of Social Security people would be doing it all the time. Heck I would pay a decent amount of money just for the opportunity to stop contributing now with the understanding that I forfeit all rights to draw any money from the bankrupt program some day in the future.

I was of the understanding that people still believed that social security was there for their retirement and not government spending....and that not everyone knows/thinks that their money won't be there by the time they retire..

Just so you don't forget, you already HAVE benefitted from Social Security. If your parents had died when you were a minor (and well before you yourself contributed a penny to SS), you were basically insured by Social Security that you would get payments so you wouldn't starve to death.

Just so you don't forget, you already HAVE benefitted from Social Security. If your parents had died when you were a minor (and well before you yourself contributed a penny to SS), you were basically insured by Social Security that you would get payments so you wouldn't starve to death.

I know this and think that social security was and currently is beneficial....I'm talking about the future and the bridging of what it was about and is about to be....if not already...

I am extremely cautious that the government will simply take over social security and give to/take from people as they see fit according to whatever system we're headed into....because social security will be all gone by the time I would benefit from it..

I know this and think that social security was and currently is beneficial....I'm talking about the future and the bridging of what it was about and is about to be....if not already...

I am extremely cautious that the government will simply take over social security and give to/take from people as they see fit according to whatever system we're headed into....because social security will be all gone by the time I would benefit from it..

I don't think the people currently in charge of social security would let that happen.

I don't think teachers pay in either. They collect teacher retirement in lieu of SS. I'm not sure, I'd have to ask the wife, but I think I'm right in that.

Teachers in Minnesota do. Prior to the mid 80s they did not-only into their retirement fund. Now they pay into both social security and retirement. It probably varies from state-to-state.

Edited by borge007

Just pray you win the DNA lottery and will be able to cash in. Dumbest program ever. If you can't afford yourself when you retire, simply die and stop being a burden on society...you had your chance.

Just pray you win the DNA lottery and will be able to cash in. Dumbest program ever. If you can't afford yourself when you retire, simply die and stop being a burden on society...you had your chance.

The Eskimos were on to something...

I don't think teachers pay in either. They collect teacher retirement in lieu of SS. I'm not sure, I'd have to ask the wife, but I think I'm right in that.

Yup. Currently 14% of every paycheck goes to my retirement system. SS gets nada. So far.