[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Position

wildcat2334

The lowest I'd want to be is #5 cause I think after Frank Gore it drops down. I think I'd want to be #4, that way you can get Ray Rice who is king in PPR and still and decent pick in the 2nd round.

What the newb above said, #4 and #5 seems nice to me, you get what's left over of CJ, ADP, RR, MJD, and Gore. If you're high on Andre Johnson, #6 also works. After number 6 the consensus picks stop and you see the high low range of guys getting picked increase rather substantially.

Also, the 2nd round picks from the 4-6 position seem to be hold a higher tier of WR value than those who should be available at 2.10 and later.

got the #2 pick, thinking about trading down........... always seem to struggle when I have #1,2.........I had 11 last year and lucked into CJ

what do u fellas think is the ideal spot this year?

I think this year, with an early pick you're looking to go RB-WR-WR (assuming standard PPR). You'll probably have AP + two tier 2 WRs. If you can nab a tier two RB, that's viable also.

Being at the ends requires a different strategy than the middle. IMO you need to gamble more, both on hoping players will drop and having to reach for players because you have so many picks between every other round.

The benefit you get with an early pick is consistency from your first 3 rounds. In the draft below, I got AP + S.Smith [NYG], but I unfortunately found SJax in the third. Not the kind of consistency and lack of risk I want out of a top 3 pick, but the upside was too high there vs. who else was available.

Maybe it's because I'm a gambler, but I like drafting toward the ends, and early is obviously better than later. Generally I'd prefer 2 over 1 and 3 over 2 because you have a pretty good idea what the other guys are drafting at the turn and can pick accordingly (cutting them off & saving another player for the come-back). The top 3 RBs are in the same neighborhood IMO, and I think RR & Gore are a drop off, though a small one.

In Huddle Ladder – Hall of Fame, my #2 pick has so far shaped up thusly:

1.02 - AP

2.11 - S.Smith [NYG]

3.02 - S.Jax

4.11 - Ochocinco

5.02 - Sims-Walker

6.11 - Kolb

7.02 - Zach Miller

8.11 - Ricky Williams

9.02 - Jets

10.11 - LT2

11.02 - Alex Smith

12.11 - McGahee

13.02 - Demaryius Thomas

I felt I had to go RB more often than I would have liked because of SJax.

Good luck with your #2. I'd keep it if I were you.

In a redraft, I honestly don't care. I prefer the ends so I can start runs but it won't make or break me. My drafting strategy is to go against the grain or find the holes so to speak, which is essentially drafting the best player on the board (if that means TE in round 3 then that's what happens).

3, at the highest. Not sold on CJ. Hating on AP. MJD is a monster, and has been falling for some reason in drafts I've done lately. Anyone else notice this? I'm good with Ray, who absolutely dominated for me last year, or Gore as well. After that, I'd be comfortable taking Rodgers or Brees, and getting a running back like Mendenhall or Benson with my next pick.

I have # 5 and am thinking of going Rodgers - am I nuts? When I look at the overall scoring in my league last year Brees was #1 and Rodgers #2 (6 points behind) - after Rodgers it was Manning but a 51 point drop. I am not sure Brees will put up the same but it looks like Rodgers will.

If you look at the Huddle tiers at #5 you will not get a tier 1 RB at #5 and then probably not a tier #1 anything coming back - if you go Rodgers you get a Tier 1 QB and can probably get a tier #2 of WR and RB in rounds 2 and 3.

I am not 100% sold on Gore but am thinking QB at #5 maybe be too quick????

Great, I mean great, freakin' year to trade out of the 1st and pick up extra 2nd & 3rd rounders.

If not, I think I'd like to be sitting in the 5 hole, grab Turner with 1.05, and be ahead of the rest of the bell cow RB owners on the return in Rd 2.

I think this year, with an early pick you're looking to go RB-WR-WR (assuming standard PPR). You'll probably have AP + two tier 2 WRs. If you can nab a tier two RB, that's viable also.

Being at the ends requires a different strategy than the middle. IMO you need to gamble more, both on hoping players will drop and having to reach for players because you have so many picks between every other round.

The benefit you get with an early pick is consistency from your first 3 rounds. In the draft below, I got AP + S.Smith [NYG], but I unfortunately found SJax in the third. Not the kind of consistency and lack of risk I want out of a top 3 pick, but the upside was too high there vs. who else was available.

Maybe it's because I'm a gambler, but I like drafting toward the ends, and early is obviously better than later. Generally I'd prefer 2 over 1 and 3 over 2 because you have a pretty good idea what the other guys are drafting at the turn and can pick accordingly (cutting them off & saving another player for the come-back). The top 3 RBs are in the same neighborhood IMO, and I think RR & Gore are a drop off, though a small one.

In Huddle Ladder – Hall of Fame, my #2 pick has so far shaped up thusly:

1.02 - AP

2.11 - S.Smith [NYG]

3.02 - S.Jax

4.11 - Ochocinco

5.02 - Sims-Walker

6.11 - Kolb

7.02 - Zach Miller

8.11 - Ricky Williams

9.02 - Jets

10.11 - LT2

11.02 - Alex Smith

12.11 - McGahee

13.02 - Demaryius Thomas

I felt I had to go RB more often than I would have liked because of SJax.

Good luck with your #2. I'd keep it if I were you.

good stuff - thanks,I am with ya, goin to keep 1.2 and roll the dice- go AP, WR/RB in rd 2,3 depending on how the draft shakes out, although the offer from 1.06 is tempting bc I can grab AJ..........

I will be happier than a billy goat with 2 peckers if SJAX is there at 3.02 - that is hugh and the way Bradford looked last night, think he is gonna be money and sick value in the 3rd.

I had the 7 pick last year in my 12 team big money and won. I really don't think it matters where you draft if it's ppr.

but Brent, we all know you are in the Fanstasy Football Drafting Hall of Hame and the only reason you may lose in a given week is bad luck.....

I am not quite there yet and need all the help I can get

but Brent, we all know you are in the Fanstasy Football Drafting Hall of Hame and the only reason you may lose in a given week is bad luck.....

I am not quite there yet and need all the help I can get

Ok all joking aside, why does it matter in a ppr where you draft? If you draft the best player on the board and in a 12 team league, you get a top 6 RB or top 6 WR. It's impossible to select the top at either position which is why getting a top 5 or so is the goal because you presume that any of those top 5 guys have an equal chance of being the top guy at his position. Too many people get caught up in a strategy of grabbing RBs or WRs etc... I grab the guy who is best available. If I'm drafting 7 and 6 RBs went before me, I'm going WR without a doubt. If 3 RBs/3 WRs went, I make a judgement call on which RB/WR I like best.

Here are the 3 year averages for the top 6 RB/WR:

WR - avg points is 283.8:

RB - avg points is 287.2:

I really don't think it matters where you draft if it's ppr.

There are generally very different groups of players available in early rounds depending on where you draft. In PPR leagues there seems to be a rather substantial drop off in WR talent from mid 2nd to late 2nd. Stuff like that matters to me.

There are generally very different groups of players available in early rounds depending on where you draft. In PPR leagues there seems to be a rather substantial drop off in WR talent from mid 2nd to late 2nd. Stuff like that matters to me.

I don't disagree with that. It still boils down to drafting the best player available. I'm not sure I get your point. Are you saying you build your team around WRs no matter what and get RBs later?

Drafted from the #4 on tuesday night and I kinda like how that draft went for me. Drafting from the #11 tonight and (while I will be looking at different players in most cases) I am kind of excited to see what kind of team I can assemble from the tail end of the order. As others have said previously in this thread, if I didnt land in the top 4-5 I would just as soon have the #11 or #12 this year...

I had the 7 pick last year in my 12 team big money and won. I really don't think it matters where you draft if it's ppr.

Obviously, anybody can win from any spot, if they draft well and catch a few breaks. All I'm saying is this... If you're in the top six, you're going to get somebody you want, whether it be one of the "big four" RB's, Andre Johnson, Gore, or whoever. If I'm not going to get one of those six guys, I'd rather be picking 12, or as close to it as possible. I've done a number of drafts this year, and the 8- and 9-slots are somewhat uncomfortable, in the sense that your first pick feels like it could make or break your draft. I realize that's not the case... one pick can't make or break anything, but those draft slots are tough spots to be in. Essentially, you could go three different positions with those picks (depending on scoring), and going the wrong way could cost you big time. It's a risk/reward type of decision. With the first 5-6 spots, on the other hand, you really can't go wrong with the guy you take... almost a no-brainer.

PPR or not has nothing to do with it... The 7-10 spots have a slightly different feel to them. Not sure what you're going to get on the way back, so you really have to pick that first player carefully. I'm not saying you can't win from those spots... I just think those spots cause me the most stress. :wacko: