[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are we raising a generation of nincompoops?

driveby

The speed of changing technology is one thing. Would you really blame a kid for not knowing how to use a rotary phone? On the other hand, I'm constantly amazed at the number of parents who do not have the courage to discipline their kids. What started out as a fear of emotionally scarring your children by being too hard on them has just turned into an excuse for parents not to do their jobs.

Welcome to the 21st century. Gotta love this from the person pointing it out too:

Susan Maushart, a mother of three, says her teenage daughter "literally does not know how to use a can opener".

Given that her mother is so stupid she doesn't know the meaning of the word "literally" I''m all, like, not surprised. Reallyseriouslyreally.

Be very, very, VERY afraid.

Edited by BeeR

Given that her mother is so stupid she doesn't know the meaning of the word "literally"

:wacko:

lit·er·al·ly   /ˈlɪtərəli/ Show Spelled

[lit-er-uh-lee] Show IPA

–adverb

1. in the literal or strict sense: What does the word mean literally?

2. in a literal manner; word for word: to translate literally.

3. actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy: The city was literally destroyed.

4. in effect; in substance; very nearly; virtually.

:wacko:

Her use of the word is at best very weak but still IMO incorrect.

This surprises you?

Speaking of not surprised, your pointless idiotic jabs certainly fit the bill. Do us a favor and follow Reggie Bush's example by turning your "aqualung award" back in.

Her use of the word is at best very weak but still IMO incorrect.

Speaking of not surprised, your pointless idiotic jabs certainly fit the bill. Do us a favor and follow Reggie Bush's example by turning your "aqualung award" back in.

It would be incorrect if the woman said, "My daughter is literally 10 feet tall," when, clearly, her daughter isn't.

It is correct to say, "My daughter literally does not know how to use a can opener," if, in fact, her daughter does not know how to use a can opener.

So unless you are here to say you have personally witnessed the daughter literally using a can opener, you should probably quit while you're ahead. Figuratively speaking.

It is correct to say, "My daughter literally does not know how to use a can opener," if, in fact, her daughter does not know how to use a can opener.
:wacko: OK. Technically it is "correct" - but it is so stupid/weak that IMO it is an incorrect use of the word. It's rather like saying "1 plus 1 is literally 2." It's true, but it's very poor English. And that's only if you use the definition you and wiegie are pushing, which is not the commonly understood/used definition of the word......which happens to be "in the literal or strict sense." So her statement re-stated would be: "she does not know how to use a can opener in literal or strict sense". As opposed to - ?

PS and oh btw, you followed up by using the word "figuratively" incorrectly. Perhaps you should quit while you're behind.

Exactly. In this context, the word "literally" is used to convey a fact that the listener is supposed to find surprising. It is used to deny exaggeration.