[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MVP Candidates

keggerz

The defense is carrying the Packers. Clay Matthews is carrying the Packers' defense...

This.

I think the Chargers lose every game without Rivers, and the Pack would be hurt without Mathews, but that D is still stout without him and would still win their share of games.

I said in an above post that the MVP is almost a lock to come from a team with a playoff record. If the Chargers don't make the playoffs, I don't see Rivers getting the honor.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's amazing that a WR has never won it (almost as amazing that a kicker has)but then again, even Rice had great QBs throwing to him...

If Matty Ice keeps on winning games with his arm, it'll be hard to not give it to him, but it's been clear so far in Atlanta that the best player on the team has been Roddy, and it's not really close...

Case and point - Roddy stripping the ball to save the game

After Ryan made a mistake that WOULD have lost it with just over a minute left, Roddy flies in out of nowhere to strip the ball and give him another shot. Just an unbelievable play, and the same as he's been doing all season with game-winning offensive plays. There's very few guys you could say are playing better or harder than this guy right now.

Let's break tradition this year. RODDY FOR MVP!!

I said in an above post that the MVP is almost a lock to come from a team with a playoff record.

Is this where we start the "what does MVP even mean?" discussion? :wacko:

I could probably just search and autotext this, but "MVP of the league" to me, means the player who has the MOST value to his team. Ideally, the player with the "most value" is from a playoff team, but usually playoff teams have multiple key players - to use the Packers for an example, Matthews has been their BEST player, on the strongest unit, but they might arguably suffer more if CB Tramon Williams or DL BJ Raji went out than if Matthews did.

Then again, the Packers' offense (and the Chargers' and Colts', for that matter) COMPLETELY revolves around Rodgers. So you could say he is the KEY player, as if he goes down, they'd be hard pressed to win without him. But he hasn't been the best player on the team - perhaps 3rd or 4th best. Might not even be the best player on the offense, as Josh Sitton and Chad Clifton have been playing their positions better and more consistently than Rodgers has been at QB.

Others simply see MVP as "best player on the best team" - in which case it's COMPLETELY wide open, as the best team is far from clear. And on most of the teams in the running for the "best" title (Giants, Pitt, Falcons, Pats), the best player so far has NOT been the QB on most of them.

Dan Dierdorf's comments before the start of the Colt's game this week in regards to Peyton Manning and all of the injuries the Colts have sustained this season, especially around all the guys that Peyton normally throws too..... (Addai, Clark, Gonzales, Collie, Hart, & White - All out)...

This was Dierdorf sepaking as though he was Peyton...... "I don't know what your name is, but I'm demanding you run the right route and you catch the ball!!" :wacko:

He went on to say, he's still getting it done statistically and in the win column despite all the injuries to both the offense and defense.

This is what makes Manning the top MVP Candidate!

Edited by Big Dogs

Dan Dierdorf's comments before the start of the Colt's game this week in regards to Peyton Manning and all of the injuries the Colts have sustained this season, especially around all the guys that Peyton normally throws too..... (Addai, Clark, Gonzales, Collie, Hart, & White - All out)...

This was Dierdorf sepaking as though he was Peyton...... "I don't know what your name is, but I'm demanding you run the right route and you catch the ball!!" :tup:

He went on to say, he's still getting it done statistically and in the win column despite all the injuries to both the offense and defense.

This is what makes Manning the top MVP Candidate!

This weekend's 185 sure doesn't help! :wacko:

This can be argued for Rivers as well. Rivers has a better QB rating, more yards and has been playing uphill all year. It has been a failure of the Special Teams and a few gaffs by the D. It is still a team sport and Rivers can't be running down field as the gunner on kick coverage! (Actually. he can't really run! :tup: The Colts lose that game without the defense scoring. See? Team sport!

Deardork is a foll and I can't stand listening to him. And by the way, the announcers have been saying the same thing about Rivers as well. I think their seasons have paralleled in a very strange way as QBs. I'm looking forward to the game at Indy to watch IMO the two best QBs in The League square off. These two teams usually have fun games to watch (recent history). I am looking at this as a could win for the Chargers, but clearly the Colts have to have a big edge at home. I also understand that the Chargers are really hated in Indy, (Charger fans DO NOT have the same vitriol for the Colts) so I imagine that stadium will be pumped up!

Is this where we start the "what does MVP even mean?" discussion? :wacko:

I could probably just search and autotext this, but "MVP of the league" to me, means the player who has the MOST value to his team. Ideally, the player with the "most value" is from a playoff team, but usually playoff teams have multiple key players - to use the Packers for an example, Matthews has been their BEST player, on the strongest unit, but they might arguably suffer more if CB Tramon Williams or DL BJ Raji went out than if Matthews did.

Then again, the Packers' offense (and the Chargers' and Colts', for that matter) COMPLETELY revolves around Rodgers. So you could say he is the KEY player, as if he goes down, they'd be hard pressed to win without him. But he hasn't been the best player on the team - perhaps 3rd or 4th best. Might not even be the best player on the offense, as Josh Sitton and Chad Clifton have been playing their positions better and more consistently than Rodgers has been at QB.

Others simply see MVP as "best player on the best team" - in which case it's COMPLETELY wide open, as the best team is far from clear. And on most of the teams in the running for the "best" title (Giants, Pitt, Falcons, Pats), the best player so far has NOT been the QB on most of them.

I absolutely agree with you! My point is that history shows it is not simply the best player, but team performance also has a lot to do with it. I think it is BS, but that is the way it has tended to be.

i don't think he did. he has played 3 games. vick is NOT an MVP candidate...at this point.

troy smith had a good. is he an MVP now?

Talk to me in 4 weeks or so. A candidate has to start more then 3 games.

from the original post:

NFLN just did a segment on MVP Candidates at this point in the season and here is the list of players they put up on screen:

Peyton Manning

Phillip Rivers

Tom Brady

Michael Vick

Clay Matthews

Just sayin'...

Mike Vick wins second straight NFC offensive player of the week award

Posted by Mike Florio on November 16, 2010, 4:59 PM EST

To absolutely no surprise, Eagles quarterback Mike Vick has been named the NFC’s offensive player of the week, a day after Monday night’s six-touchdown performance against the Redskins.

He’s the first quarterback to win the award in consecutive weeks since Randall Cunningham in 1998, during the Vikings’ 15-1 season.

Vick also was the NFC’s offensive player of the month for September.

:wacko: he played in all 16 games last year.

Hmmm. "Yeah but" he didn't START any and had a VERY limited role. Not sure if that really qualifies him for the award, but absent any rock-solid parameters, I'd think he'd be in the discussion, possibly be the front-runner for it.

The Eagles have not yet approached Michael Vick about a contract extension, and Vick's agent, Joel Segal, said he wouldn't comment on whether he'd be willing to discuss a deal with the team during the season.

Philly obviously will want to do what it can to retain Vick, who is arguably the favorite for MVP even though he's played in only six games. The franchise tag may not exist anymore under whatever collective bargaining agreement emerges, so the Eagles may or may not have that option. Vick won't comment much on the issue, saying, "we haven't started any negotiations. We are just taking it 1 week at a time. If it's going to happen, it will happen."

As much as the league is all about image now, I bet Goodell and company are praying for Vick to cool off and be out of contention for the award. They don't want a dog killer to be the face of the NFL. Redemption story, comeback player, sure. MVP, I don't think so. Not in the league's best interest...

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Also, good call on LT earlier. That was mentioned in the radio interview I posted about earlier and forgot about it. Here's the list...

Season↓ Player↓ Team↓ Position↓

1957 Jim Brown Cleveland Browns Running back

1958 Jim Brown (2)[7] Cleveland Browns Running back

1959 Johnny Unitas[8] Baltimore Colts Quarterback

1960 Norm Van Brocklin Philadelphia Eagles Quarterback

1961 Paul Hornung Green Bay Packers Running back

1962 Jim Taylor Green Bay Packers Running back

1963 Y. A. Tittle New York Giants Quarterback

1964 Johnny Unitas (2) Baltimore Colts Quarterback

1965 Jim Brown (3) Cleveland Browns Running back

1966 Bart Starr Green Bay Packers Quarterback

1967 Johnny Unitas (3) Baltimore Colts Quarterback