[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Toy Hall Of Fame

Do Work Son

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gi Joe

Transformers

Balsawood gliders

Lincoln Logs

Chemistry sets (make your own gunpowder! Fun for the whole family! :wacko: )

Rubics Cube

Big Wheels

Stratego Board game

Pinewood derby cars

Star Wars

Slingshots (until the whole "got caught launching rocks at the side of a bus" incident.)

I also did hundreds of model airplanes and cars with my Grandfather. Some of my best memories with him was making those models.

collected football and baseball helmets out of bubble gum machines. 25 cents a pop. got a lot of doubles of teams but traded them with friends. Also made up games to play with each sport. very good memories. I now have chrome complete sets in my office and line them up each week to for weekly matchups.

you only dressed GI Joes if you are now fifty years old or older.

OK, makes sense, I'm 55. Heck, we had no clue what it meant to be ghey, but we sure knew that those early GI Joe dolls were not for "normal" boys. The one kid who had them was usually more often playing dolls with the girls on the block. I think his parents got him the GI Joes to get him away from playing with Ken dolls. BTW, this kid was not disliked or picked on... we just knew he was dfifferent from the get-go. He occassionally played some sports with us, but was the worst athlete in the neighborhood. He died about 18 years ago. He was a HS teacher and very highly thought of by all. Very sad funeral.

Sounds like GI Joes became more mainstream after my childhood.

Until playing sports consumed all my play time, it was matchbox and plastic army men. Like others, I (and we, my friends) built intricate cities and fortresses. We'de get it all set up which could take hours, and the war would start. The ending was always the same. The "sarge" and his best buddy were always the last ones standing, victorious on the battlefield.

Oh... editted to add countless hours collecting and flipping baseball cards. Gambling is what it was actually. We got into penny poker and after over a year found out one kid was using a marked deck. He did the same thing with his Stratego set. He never could find a way to cheat at Battleship, but he tried.

Edited by Rovers

When really little:

Leggos

Lincoln logs

Silly putty

Older:

Toy guns

Matchbox cars

Super balls

I could add stuff like footballs, some board games (or as my grandmother called them "bored games") and building plastic models, but I wouldn't call them "toys."