[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Toy Hall Of Fame

Do Work Son

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GI Joe was a freakin doll. Nuthin like Army men. If you had to dress it, it was a doll, a girl's toy. GI Joe is right there with Cabbage Patch Kids. With army men you could have epic battles, thousands of soldiers. The only kid on my block who played with GI Joe's died of AIDS. True story. When I was a kid, you could buy complete themed army sets. Anzio invaders, complete with landing craft, a couple of tanks, hundereds of figurines. Had a civil war set that was incredible in detail, plastic bunkers, mortars that shot plastic ammo, cannons, horses and 300 figurines. I bet those sets are very collectable these days, and probably worth some serious cash.

Matchbox for sure. First toy I can remember having... Gumby. Toy guns were HUGH. The "Man From Uncle" spy kit was pretty freakin cool.

But, my absolute favorite was my baseball mitt. Does that qualify as a toy? We played street baseball from 8am till it got dark all summer long.

Being a kid sure was a blast. The world was as big as your imagination was. Infinite.

GI Joe was a freakin doll. Nuthin like Army men. If you had to dress it, it was a doll, a girl's toy. GI Joe is right there with Cabbage Patch Kids. With army men you could have epic battles, thousands of soldiers. The only kid on my block who played with GI Joe's died of AIDS. True story. When I was a kid, you could buy complete themed army sets. Anzio invaders, complete with landing craft, a couple of tanks, hundereds of figurines. Had a civil war set that was incredible in detail, plastic bunkers, mortars that shot plastic ammo, cannons, horses and 300 figurines. I bet those sets are very collectable these days, and probably worth some serious cash.

Matchbox for sure. First toy I can remember having... Gumby. Toy guns were HUGH. The "Man From Uncle" spy kit was pretty freakin cool.

But, my absolute favorite was my baseball mitt. Does that qualify as a toy? We played street baseball from 8am till it got dark all summer long.

Being a kid sure was a blast. The world was as big as your imagination was. Infinite.

My most memorable Christmas present of all time was the army set that I got when I was about 5-6 years old. It had dozens of green plastic U.S. soldier figurines (about two inches high), in all kinds of various poses... shooting a rifle, carrying the bazooka, kneeling with radio, two guys carrying stretcher (with holds in their hand pieces so you could actually fit the stretcher into their hands), etc. It also had the Japanese tan plastic soldiers, and came with a six-story "mountain" that was cut in half... the inside of the mountain had floors (representing the tunnels that the Japanese operated from), with ladders connecting the floors, and there was a flag on top of the mountain. Funny thing is that, as a kid, I played with that set for hours and hours on end, for literally years, and probably never realized what the mountain and everything represented, until I got older. By far my favorite toy/present ever. Those army guys were so simple (one piece of molded plastic, with no real "accessories" except for the stretcher), but yet so detailed at the same time. A definite classic.

But, I have to disagree with you on the G.I. Joe thing... the G.I. Joe figures that I started collecting (at a slightly older age... probably 7-8) were not dolls at all. We didn't "dress" them, or anything of the sort. In fact, the reality of it was that the G.I. Joe figures were nothing more than REALLY cool army men, in the sense that they came with unattached guns, helmets, swords, etc. Instead of the little simplistic army men with the weapons "molded" into one piece, the G.I. Joe figures had items that could be swapped from one figure to another, essentially. Once we started collecting and playing with the G.I. Joe's, the basic army man pieces became pretty much "obsolete."

I get what you're saying, though... The basic army men sets were more of a classic, and in my opinion, deserve to be in the toy HOF just as much as the G.I. Joe's (probably more). :wacko:

Stompers

I remember taking those things apart for whatever reason and pulling out the little battery powered engine. Hooking up the 9 volt battery and attaching things to the "drive shaft" or whatever you want to call it...like popsicle sticks or whatever. Yeah, I was a wierd kid.

I am, this second, one block away from the THOF. Never been though. Lots of debate at work each year when the finalists come out. I think the Atari 2600 got jobbed this year.

2008 they inducted the "Stick" yes a part of a tree stick.

My bad the 2600 is in there. I swear it was a cut this year.

Edited by satelliteoflovegm