[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Toy Hall Of Fame

Do Work Son

What the heck kind of toy is "stick"??? Is it a stick and a wagon wheel? A stick and a picket fence?

I thought of Operation, Mousetrap, Model rocket, those balsa airplanes you put together. AND, keeping with some of the list's theme, I think you cannot leave out a paper airplane.

Lastly, for the next generation list, how about the Lord Opie Doll? Although, the fact that you lose interest in the toy quickly, this new age doll will prove to be a hit - or be hit.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the heck kind of toy is "stick"??? Is it a stick and a wagon wheel? A stick and a picket fence?

I thought of Operation, Mousetrap, Model rocket, those balsa airplanes you put together. AND, keeping with some of the list's theme, I think you cannot leave out a paper airplane.

Lastly, for the next generation list, how about the Lord Opie Doll? Although, the fact that you lose interest in the toy quickly, this new age doll will prove to be a hit - or be hit.

I'm thinking the Elliott Wave might be a bigger hit with the kids.

I guess that's the point. The "stick" age old and versatile. Stick ball too.

I was into Transformers, still have them too.

I was really into Starting Lineup Talking Baseball too. HERE

Don't have the game, still have the baseball cards.

But one of my best Christmas memories (early 80's) was coming downstairs and seeing one of those big Tyco electric race car tracks all set up on the floor, the kind you can take apart and make different shaped tracks, with the handle and trigger where the further you pulled in the trigger, the faster the car went. And the cars even had little working headlights. That thing just blew me away.

The Big Wheel was awesomely cool. The little hand brake you could use to skid through mud puddles made it. Every last one I had had a flat spot on the brake tire from that. :wacko:

[skylive]running[skylive]

Not sure if that can be classified as a game. Did a lot of running for my life back in the day....so maybe it was a game for those chasing me....well....until they caught me....then it wasn't as much fun as they thought it would be. :wacko:

Sticks were cool. As was dirt. Solid plastic army men were the greatest.

Matchbox Cars

That was my main toy for basically my whole childhood. We had a huge tree in the backyard and I would build a city of just roads and bridges and airports (no buildings) out of the dirt under that tree. If it rained, I'd rebuild it each time. I'd pull the garden hose out and have rivers running under the bridges and beside the roads. This was elaborate. I was probably the easiest child on the planet to raise. I would stay out there for hours playing quietly. I recently gave my leftover matchbox cars to Tina's grandson. They were beat up and scratched but still in good shape. I'd wash 'em off and keep 'em clean. My favorites were the army vehicles and ambulance/fire trucks. These were the real small metal cars mostly and not the plastic ones that came out later. One of my all-time favorties was a set of WWII planes. To this day, my favorite WWII plane is the P-38 Lightning because it was the coolest plane in the set. I should've grown up to have Big John's job. :wacko:

Edited by TimC

Army men definitely #1. Add buildings w/ those plastic bricks (pre-lego) or Lincoln logs and you could make an awesome battlefield w/ bunkers and bombed out buildings.

Lionel trains are there, but we had American Flyer. 2 tracks not 3 and a real scale. Much more realistic.

There should be a separate list for just games (board games, etc.)... Just to throw out a few possibilities:

CandyLand

Shoots n Ladders

Yahtzee

Operation

Mr. Potato Head (I think this is technically a game, no?)

Battleship

Connect Four

Checkers

Chess

Monopoly

Risk

Life

Scrabble

Twister

Uno

Clue

Sorry

Memory

Dominos (could go under toys or games, really)

Trivial Pursuit (original)

Pictionary

PayDay

Boggle

Some of those might not make the cut, but I'm fairly certain there are enough "classic" games that have been around for multiple decades, to make a pretty significant list of just games.