[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sorry but Eli sucks!

millerx

He may not be a top 5 QB in the league but I would put him in the top 10 or 12. He is a lot better than some of the crap that is out their posing as a starting QB.

This is true. I love the fact that he gets so rattled, though, that he turns into a turnover machine...good stuff! :wacko:

Trent Dilfer is above average too.

Exactly.

The only difference between Dilfer and Manning in those runs is that Dilfer's team was enough better than their SB foe that they didn't need to put together a game-winning drive. OK, that's not fair. I just looked up Dilfer's stats during his SB run and they've got to be the worst I've ever seen for a winning QB.

WK Game Date Opp Result G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost

18 12/31 DEN W 21-3 1 1 9 14 64.3 130 9.3 1 0 2 12 118.2 1 2 2.0 0 1 0

19 01/07 @ TEN W 24-10 1 1 5 16 31.3 117 7.3 0 0 3 32 58.6 4 1 0.3 0 -- --

20 01/14 @ OAK W 16-3 1 1 9 18 50.0 190 10.6 1 1 2 18 83.1 7 4 0.6 0 1 0

21 01/28 @ NYG W 34-7 1 1 12 25 48.0 153 6.1 1 0 3 20 80.9 1 0 0.0 0 1 0

None the less, if you go back and look at Manning's SB run, that was not Manning putting the Giants on his back. That SB win had way more to do with the Giants holding what may be the greatest offense ever to 14 pts. Hell, if dude doesn't catch a ball against his helmet, all this talk isn't even happening. Then he's just another guy who took his team to the title game and lost it.

So, in reality, he's an average QB who managed to hold up his end of the bargain for one stretch of games while his team played great as well. I mean, you can't even point to that season as a whole because in the regular season, they were just OK. How 'bout when he "out-dueled" Brett Favre in the NFC Championship game? He went 21-40 for 250 yds 0 TDs and 2 INTs. I'm guessing that they won despite that performance, not because of it. He was slightly better in the SB, but still not the kind of stat-line that dreams are made of.

And when you factor his rather pedestrian career stats (career passer rating of 80.2), I think he fits nicely in the average dept.

Are we speaking of Eli Manning the NFL quarterback, or Eli Manning the FF quarterback? If we are talking fantasy football, Eli is the #8 and #9 QB in the two scoring systems I just checked, making him considerably better than average. If we are just mad because the Giants lost, well, I won't argue that Eli Manning is no Peyton Manning.

I don't see how being wildly inconsistent game to game is above average. Right now he's in the middle of the pack. Later on in the future he might be above average.

He's definately not top tier when people came into the league as rookies like Rothlisberger and now Sanchez who just seem like game winners.

Are we speaking of Eli Manning the NFL quarterback, or Eli Manning the FF quarterback? If we are talking fantasy football, Eli is the #8 and #9 QB in the two scoring systems I just checked, making him considerably better than average. If we are just mad because the Giants lost, well, I won't argue that Eli Manning is no Peyton Manning.

Eli Manning is no Phillip Rivers either. Good trade, huh?

Peyton is definatly the better QB. However u don't need a great QB to win if u have a great team around him.

Honestly the Giants seem to have all the bases covered. Good D, lot of offencive weapon and a QB to manage the team and occionally make plays. Yes they ask him to do the 2:00 drill but not every game. (unlike the Colts and Peyton)

In terms of FF QB yes he'll put up good numbers and he's definatly someone I'd be willing to start at QB. Does he put up the insane numbers some of the other elite QBs in the leauge no but he's definatly that second Teir of QBs in the leauge on a great team.

QBs starting week 11 I'd take over Eli:

Flacco

Rodgers

Schaub

Sanchez

Big Ben

Bress

Freeman

Ryan

Bradford

Brady

Peyton

Vick

Orton

Rivers

That puts Eli in the same tier as:

Cutler

Fitzpatrick (who I might argue belongs in the tier above - but we need more of a track record)

Palmer

Kitna

Garrard

Cassel

McNabb

Hasselbeck

Pretty clear Eli is an average at best NFL QB.

Edited by gsmayes

I'm speaking from the perspective of NFL QB.

Regardless, while I'm not playing FF this year, nearly every year I've played, the 8th or 9th best FF QB typically resided in a statistical quagmire that included the next 10 or so QBs. Thus, essentially average.

He's definately not top tier

I don't think anyone is saying that he is "top tier". He has done pretty well FF wise and I don't really think we can consider him to average as in middle of the pack in the NFL (16 of 32). He has ranked in my main FF league as follows.

Yards / TD / INT / FF rank in my main local

2010 - 2595 21 16 #8 - currently year to date

2009 - 4021 27 14 #10

2008 - 3238 21 10 #11

2007 - 3336 23 20 #13 - SUPER BOWL YEAR

So the year that they won the superbowl they were a running team that played great defense throughout the playoffs. Now, the offense has gone through some changes since they traded away Ward, traded Shockey, lost Tiki to retirement, lost Plaxico to the big house, etc. Eli has become a much more proficient thrower and people should remember too that none of his WRs were household names until last year. I guarantee that nobody thought he could throw for 4000 yards, 27tds, and only 14 interceptions with S. Smith, Mario M., K. Boss and Hakeem Nicks. Yes, just like any QB he can get rattled and start turning the ball over. I'm not proclaiming him a top tier guy. He has been having a rougher go the last few weeks as his young receivers are dropping like flies to injuries.

I say he is above average, but definitely 2nd Tier. He has shown progress the last few years throwing for more yards and touchdowns and personally I think a lot of his interceptions happen when his young WRs bounce the ball off their hands to the other team. He is an average FF, #1QB but I think if you look at what all 32 teams have behind center, it's pretty easy to say he is above average.

So Marino was a below average QB?

as your remark is really more sarcastic, so I'll agree with you. Marino was an exceptional quarterback. But everyone knows Eli's ring was given to him by his defense and a man no longer with the league that caught a football on the side of his helmet.

Back on Eli's bye week I had to make a choice in my limited bench league.

1. Play without a QB

2. Pick up Fitzpatrick and drop either Eli or an injured Vick.

I chose to drop Vick.

Result:

:wacko:

4 weeks ago we had a guy offer us Vick for Moss and didnt pull the trigger

Oh, the opportunities I missed this year:

1. Watched Vick sit on the WW for weeks.

2. Missed numerous chances to pick up Steve Johnson.

3. Kept believing the Panthers would eventually get the offense running like the past few years.

4. Hesitated on Jacob Tamme.

5. Missed Arian Foster by one draft spot (wound up with DWill, who probably contributed 20 points to my starting lineups).

QBs starting week 11 I'd take over Eli:

Flacco

Rodgers

Schaub

Sanchez

Big Ben

Bress

Freeman

Ryan

Bradford

Brady

Peyton

Vick

Orton

Rivers

You have 14 guys here, but you could argue against 3 of them (Flacco, Schaub, and Bradford - and I'm a Rams fans). And Freeman is iffy as well just because of the short track record... This would put Eli at #11 or #12 in the league. That seems like above-average to average at worst.