[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Musical talent?

BeeR

I play a little keyboards, but mostly by memory - my reading music ability is so lightweight it barely registers ie I can't just sit down and look at something and start playing it. On a good day I can also sing pretty respectably (which is to say when I hear myself recorded I don't always cringe) but don't think I could do so in public. Which I'm sure the public is OK with.

Guitar

Violin

IMO the 2 hardest instruments to play. What I love about keys is all the notes etc are right there, just hit em. :wacko: Guitar you have to memorize and be able to quickly bounce around for the various notes and chords - it just amazes me anyone can, let alone proficiently.

I have no musical talent at all. Nada. Nothing. My wife on the other hand has a very nice singing voice and use to play the violin. My daughter is an aspiring opera singer and plays use to play violin. My son is very good with the guitar, plays a little sax and drums and is very good at writing music. In fact, he writes real well. He was in a garage band that performed at a club. :wacko: I wonder who my kids get their talent from? :tup:

IMO the 2 hardest instruments to play. What I love about keys is all the notes etc are right there, just hit em. :wacko: Guitar you have to memorize and be able to quickly bounce around for the various notes and chords - it just amazes me anyone can, let alone proficiently.

And I feel it is the other way. With guitar you only need to train one hand for notes but with piano both hands are needed and they need to move independently of each other.

I played trumpet for a few years and was pretty good when compared to the other kids. I can sing 'ok' compared to other people who don't sing much either.

Generally, my family is above average talent-wise musically. My mom and sister blow me away. My daughter, too (vocals, cello). I think I'm probably about on par with my dad.

ETA: I can whistle, too. :wacko:

Edited by muck

I play a bit on the conga. The Wench plays the piano, guitar and mandoline. She said if she wins the AY2 (blah blah blah) both league she's putting your cat's money toward a martin or taylor.

We've been getting together with friends to jam every 3 months or so (everything from Streetlight and Cage the Elephant to the Police and the Mamas and the Papas). If any of you cats in the tri-state area want to jam out a bit, send me a PM.

None. I mean, I can hold a note singing and can play hot cross buns on my son's clarinet but only because he aggravates me to no end to play. I wish I could play something like the piano or sax.

Generally, my family is above average talent-wise musically. My mom and sister blow me away. My daughter, too (vocals, cello). I think I'm probably about on par with my dad.

My family is also thick with musicians. Grandma, mom and sister are all near concert level pianists. Sis can dang near bring me to tears with her rendition of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (my favorite) as well as play stupifyingly difficult jazz. Dad sings really well and my siblings all play multiple instruments. Once of my brothers taught himself guitar and plays better than most. Same brother also does a lot of military funerals playing a slow and properly soulful Taps on trumpet.

Jimmy beat drums. :wacko:

I can whistle the Guns and Roses song "Patience" exceptionally well.

I instantly started whistling that tune when I read that. :tup:

ETA: My gradma is not doing well. Advanced sundowners, broken hip and ankle... she has not forgotten a lick of music and is like her perfect self while playing the piano, organ or violin. It is truly amazing to see the transformation come over her when she starts playing - music is cool that way.

Edited by Jimmy Neutron