[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teens too dumb to join the military?!?!

SEC=UGA

MIAMI — Nearly one-fourth of the students who try to join the U.S. Army fail its entrance exam, painting a grim picture of an education system that produces graduates who can't answer basic math, science and reading questions, according to a new study released Tuesday.

U.S. map shows percentage of failed aptitude tests in each state by applicants between the ages of 17 and 20 between 2004 and 2009, and percent of failed tests nationally by race during same period.

The report by The Education Trust bolsters a growing worry among military and education leaders that the pool of young people qualified for military service will grow too small.

"Too many of our high school students are not graduating ready to begin college or a career — and many are not eligible to serve in our armed forces," U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan told the AP. "I am deeply troubled by the national security burden created by America's underperforming education system."

The effect of the low eligibility rate might not be noticeable now — the Department of Defense says it is meeting its recruitment goals — but that could change as the economy improves, said retired Navy Rear Admiral Jamie Barnett.

"If you can't get the people that you need, there's a potential for a decline in your readiness," said Barnett, who is part of the group Mission: Readiness, a coalition of retired military leaders working to bring awareness to the high ineligibility rates.

The report by The Education Trust found that 23 percent of recent high school graduates don't get the minimum score needed on the enlistment test to join any branch of the military. Questions are often basic, such as: "If 2 plus x equals 4, what is the value of x?"

The military exam results are also worrisome because the test is given to a limited pool of people: Pentagon data shows that 75 percent of those aged 17 to 24 don't even qualify to take the test because they are physically unfit, have a criminal record or didn't graduate high school.

Educators expressed dismay that so many high school graduates are unable to pass a test of basic skills.

"It's surprising and shocking that we are still having students who are walking across the stage who really don't deserve to be and haven't earned that right," said Tim Callahan with the Professional Association of Georgia Educators, a group that represents more than 80,000 educators.

Kenneth Jackson, 19, of Miami, enlisted in the Army after graduating from high school. He said passing the entrance exam is easy for those who paid attention in school, but blamed the education system for why more recruits aren't able to pass the test.

"The classes need to be tougher because people aren't learning enough," Jackson said.

This is the first time that the U.S. Army has released this test data publicly, said Amy Wilkins of The Education Trust, a Washington, D.C.-based children's advocacy group. The study examined the scores of nearly 350,000 high school graduates, ages 17 to 20, who took the ASVAB exam between 2004 and 2009. About half of the applicants went on to join the Army.

Recruits must score at least a 31 out of 99 on the first stage of the three-hour test to get into the Army. The Marines, Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard recruits need higher scores.

Further tests determine what kind of job the recruit can do with questions on mechanical maintenance, accounting, word comprehension, mathematics and science.

The study shows wide disparities in scores among white and minority students, similar to racial gaps on other standardized tests. Nearly 40 percent of black students and 30 percent of Hispanics don't pass, compared with 16 percent of whites. The average score for blacks is 38 and for Hispanics is 44, compared to whites' average score of 55.

Even those passing muster on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, or ASVAB, usually aren't getting scores high enough to snag the best jobs.

"A lot of times, schools have failed to step up and challenge these young people, thinking it didn't really matter — they'll straighten up when they get into the military," said Kati Haycock, president of the Education Trust. "The military doesn't think that way."

Entrance exams for the U.S. military date to World War I. The test has changed over time as computers and technology became more prevalent, and skills like ability to translate Morse code have fallen by the wayside.

The test was overhauled in 2004, and the study only covers scores from 2004 through 2009. The Education Trust didn't request examine earlier data to avoid a comparison between two versions of the test, said Christina Theokas, the author of the study. The Army did not immediately respond to requests for further information.

Tom Loveless, an education expert at the Brookings Institution think tank, said the results echo those on other tests. In 2009, 26 percent of seniors performed below the 'basic' reading level on the National Assessment of Education Progress.

Other tests, like the SAT, look at students who are going to college.

"A lot of people make the charge that in this era of accountability and standardized testing, that we've put too much emphasis on basic skills," Loveless said. "This study really refutes that. We have a lot of kids that graduate from high school who have not mastered basic skills."

The study also found disparities across states, with Wyoming having the lowest ineligibility rate, at 13 percent, and Hawaii having the highest, at 38.3 percent.

Retired military leaders say the report's findings are cause for concern.

"The military is a lot more high-tech than in the past," said retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Norman R. Seip. "I don't care if you're a soldier Marine carrying a backpack or someone sitting in a research laboratory, the things we expect out of our military members requires a very, very well educated force."

A Department of Defense report notes the military must recruit about 15 percent of youth, but only one-third are eligible. More high school graduates are going to college than in earlier decades, and about one-fourth are obese, making them medically ineligible.

In 1980, by comparison, just 5 percent of youth were obese.

MIAMI — Nearly one-fourth of the students who try to join the U.S. Army fail its entrance exam
:wacko: I didn't think it was possible to not score high enough to qualify for SOME job in the Army unless one was comatose.

"Too many of our high school students are not graduating ready to begin college or a career — and many are not eligible to serve in our armed forces," U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan told the AP. "I am deeply troubled by the national security burden created by America's underperforming education system."
Since the armed forces are still meeting their quotas, I very seriously doubt it. But if true, then stop empowering kids to misbehave and letting parents to go sue-happy on schools - ie give authority back to the teachers and school administrators where it belongs.

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.

The military exam results are also worrisome because the test is given to a limited pool of people: Pentagon data shows that 75 percent of those aged 17 to 24 don't even qualify to take the test because they are physically unfit, have a criminal record or didn't graduate high school.
I question this "Pentagon data" as well, esp the unfit part, which I suspect is the major limiting factor here. How do they assess that? Lots of kids flunking phys ed now?

"It's surprising and shocking that we are still having students who are walking across the stage who really don't deserve to be and haven't earned that right," said Tim Callahan with the Professional Association of Georgia Educators, a group that represents more than 80,000 educators.
Where has this guy been the last few decades? I'm shocked that he's shocked. And so much for the standardized tests being the be-all/end-all for educating our kids. Another shock.

Kenneth Jackson, 19, of Miami, enlisted in the Army after graduating from high school. He said passing the entrance exam is easy for those who paid attention in school, but blamed the education system for why more recruits aren't able to pass the test.
:wacko: More brilliance. First he says it's the kids' fault, then in the same breath the education system's fault. So it's the education system's fault that kids aren't paying attention?

"The classes need to be tougher because people aren't learning enough," Jackson said.
Then even more kids won't graduate. And I'm fine w/that, btw, but it doesn't address the problem.

The study shows wide disparities in scores among white and minority students, similar to racial gaps on other standardized tests. Nearly 40 percent of black students and 30 percent of Hispanics don't pass, compared with 16 percent of whites. The average score for blacks is 38 and for Hispanics is 44, compared to whites' average score of 55.
I knew it! Racist tests. The man oppressin again.

"A lot of times, schools have failed to step up and challenge these young people, thinking it didn't really matter — they'll straighten up when they get into the military," said Kati Haycock, president of the Education Trust. "The military doesn't think that way."
lol. That's incredibly idiotic from a wide variety of angles, most which should be rather obvious. eg: how does she "know" this, the stupidity of automatically blaming "the school system," again no accountability or blame where it belongs (on the kids and parents), on and on.

The test was overhauled in 2004,
Can't say for sure but I've known a number of recruiters who said it was made easier, and trust me, it wasn't all that hard to begin with. Edited by BeeR

Everyone should be REQUIRED to serve in the military. Enough of this blaming education for everything wrong with our youth. The head of our local WalMart distribution center told a group of teachers that all WalMart wants is employees who can tell time and show up everyday. If it's good enough for WallyWorld I'm sure it can be good enough for the Pentagon.

The reasons for kids not getting an education are two fold. Parents that aren't involved and don't care, and a system that allows kids to move on without having learned anything. Social promotions to the next grade.

Any kid that wants to learn can. You can lead a horse to water....AND you CAN make it drink.

As far as filling the quotas, wait until he economy turns around, if that ever happens. Of course it is the illiterates who can't get jobs turn towards enlisting. When their job market improves, the quotas won't get met.

Social promotion is a tough one. Some kids would stay in 1st grade until they can drop out at age 16-18 if there wasn't social promotion. I don't have the answer but too many kids are just dumb! What to do with them??

Don't promote them, just suspend them. It would be unpopular, sure. But many people use school as free day care. If the availability of that (free) day care dried up because junior isn't passing, I'll bet dollars to donuts that the parents would start placing more importance on junior passing. And if they continue to not give a rat's ass, then at least teachers don't have to slow the rest of the class down for the kids who don't care about learning in the first place.

Don't promote them, just suspend them. It would be unpopular, sure. But many people use school as free day care. If the availability of that (free) day care dried up because junior isn't passing, I'll bet dollars to donuts that the parents would start placing more importance on junior passing. And if they continue to not give a rat's ass, then at least teachers don't have to slow the rest of the class down for the kids who don't care about learning in the first place.

Guess the 2 people that have the most power in the education of a student :

A. teacher

B. parent

C. administrator

D. school board

E. lawyer

F. student

Answer B and E,

Guess the 2 people that have the most power in the education of a student :

A. teacher

B. parent

C. administrator

D. school board

E. lawyer

F. student

Answer B and E,

I've always felt that our education dollars are limited resources that should be invested for maximum return. If the parents just don't care, their kids are bad investments. These days, with school budgets cut to the bone, we have to do some financial triage. If parents aren't willing to hold up their end of the social contract that tells me all I need to know about how to prioritize our (very) limited education budgets. My two cents, anyways.

I've always felt that our education dollars are limited resources that should be invested for maximum return. If the parents just don't care, their kids are bad investments. These days, with school budgets cut to the bone, we have to do some financial triage. If parents aren't willing to hold up their end of the social contract that tells me all I need to know about how to prioritize our (very) limited education budgets. My two cents, anyways.

Oh i agree totally and i work with the kids that are on the fringe. But if you try to hold a kid back, move him or her to ebd classroom parents come unglued and call in the lawyers and the school admin and bard will crumble every time. Everyone's kids are going to Harvard and or Pro sports..

I don't have the answer but too many kids are just dumb! What to do with them??

This is actually a really good question and something I was thinking about a few weeks ago. An acquaintance of mine has a 17 year-old daughter and, unfortunately, she is below average mentally. She is a very nice girl and her parents have always been involved, caring parents; but for whatever reason, the girl just doesn't have the mental capabilities of most of her peers.

So, my question is: what happens to this girl when she becomes an adult? I honestly can't see anything that she could do that could earn her more than minimum wage (if she is even would be worth paying minimum wage to).

What happens to her?

This is actually a really good question and something I was thinking about a few weeks ago. An acquaintance of mine has a 17 year-old daughter and, unfortunately, she is below average mentally. She is a very nice girl and her parents have always been involved, caring parents; but for whatever reason, the girl just doesn't have the mental capabilities of most of her peers.

So, my question is: what happens to this girl when she becomes an adult? I honestly can't see anything that she could do that could earn her more than minimum wage (if she is even would be worth paying minimum wage to).

What happens to her?

Sounds like a perfect person to work for the IRS checking your healthcare papers.

Seriously, have you seen the momo's who work at the post office, or TSA? Those people SHOULD be making minimum wage, but they are highly paid, pensioned government employees.

Ironically, being a dumb obese criminal is almost always a requirement to be a Republican Congressman.

I suggest anyone who lets their children attend public school shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Meh, I went to public school. Of course our schools aren't as bad as some states. Besides, it's the quickest way to teach your children small fire arms proficiency while learning hand to hand combat.