[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teachers are not Hero's?

tazinib1

I have no link. And in typical tailgate fashion, no foundation of anything but my own.

I was at the bar tonight, a place I need to stop frequenting, and stumbled across (literally) an argument about Teachers. Notice that I capitalized the T in Teachers. It is, bar none, the most ill forgotten job I have ever seen. Those men and women are hero's in my book. So to all you Huddlers that teach our little scooters...thank you. Thank you for being in 50% our little scooters life. bTW: have you found the book that explains all this diaper dirt to us yet?

Thanks for the props to teachers. We all had some good ones that probably inspired, encouraged, persuaded us to stay on track and become the fine, fine Americans most of us are. :wacko:

I'd like to think that most appreciate what teachers do. It's the ignorant few that bash them w/o really knowing teaching as a job. Of all the different jobs I have had, teaching was the most rewarding and the one that I loved the most. I know I made a mark in their lives, as many came back and told me so.

GOD BLESS ALL TEACHERS! :tup: Now and in the future.

I LOVE MY JOB!! and the best part is that I got into teaching for all the right reasons unlike some others.

I deeply respect and appreciate what teachers do, however I would not apply the word hero to them. But perhaps we hold different definitions for that word. I think that we are losing the meaning of the word hero by applying it to anyone that we admire.

What do you expect-yer from Texas-pretty cynical view. :wacko:

I witnessed a science teacher tell her kid that the difference between rockets and jets is that rockets fly higher but jets fly faster. I apologize if you do not understand.

I witnessed a science teacher tell her kid that the difference between rockets and jets is that rockets fly higher but jets fly faster. I apologize if you do not understand.

well the south has had many difficulties... education is one of them

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

I don't know if they are heros..... But they do usually get the short end of the stick..... IMO that's why you see a lot of bad ones that should be removed. They are just tried of the bulldiaper dirt they have to put up with and basically give up.

Still there are some good ones. And even at my advanced age I can still name the ones that left an impression on me as a kid, those were the folks that helped shape me early, and pointed me in the right direction.

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Still there are some good ones. And even at my advanced age I can still name the ones that left an impression on me as a kid, those were the folks that helped shape me early, and pointed me in the right direction.

That's the key! I agree that HERO is too strong. I know I helped many. Taught several classes w/ prison kids. There were too many to save, but I know I helped save a few. Helped them get skills to compete in the workplace and they took it and ran w/ it.

VIP Job ...most do it very well which we should be thankful for but no way are they heroes in the sense of the word where someone risks their lives to save other lives

Yes in some extreme cases where there have been shoot outs in school there have been teachers who risk or gave their life to save a life

They are heroes but would not broad brush all teachers as heroes

I deeply respect and appreciate what teachers do, however I would not apply the word hero to them. But perhaps we hold different definitions for that word. I think that we are losing the meaning of the word hero by applying it to anyone that we admire.

Hey somebody gets it. Well said. I do very much admire yet pity teachers as their authority has been shredded thanks largely thanks to our hypersensitive society and massive joke of a legal system.

There is an Air & Space museum here, gov't run. During the planetarium exhibit, the nice lady let the kids know the earth is 8000 miles around. When we tried to correct her, she was quite adamant she was right, and very upset we would dare challenge her knowledge.

did she explain to you about the man on the moon?

On new years day we went over to some friends house for a brunch. My 1st Grade Teacher Mrs. Byrum was there. She also taught my father in 1st grade. She had to be in her 90's. It was a joy to see her. I've had several teachers that I really admired, throughout school, though some I didn't appreciate at the time.

Mrs. Byrum was the perfect 1st Grade Teacher.

My 6th grade math teacher Mrs. Armstrong was a mean old bitty but she was exactly what I needed and gave me a love of math and the discipline I needed at the time.

Mr. Maxwell was my high school physics teacher for two years and gave me a love of physics that prompted me to take 3 physics courses in college.

Dr. Dale Truitt was one of the finest men I've ever known. He was one of my instructors that taught several of my construction courses in college, and was the faculty adviser for the Sigma Tau Epsilon which was the construction honors society. There are very few people I hold in higher esteem than Dr. Truitt. If it weren't for Dr. Truitt, I'm not sure I'd be doing what I'm doing today.

Those were the good ones. I don't know if I'd classify any of them as heroes, but I definitely have a lot of respect for each.

On the flip side I also had several teachers that should have been driven out of the classroom long before they taught me.

Mrs. Johnson 7th grade science teacher literally thought she had little people in her head. She is still teaching at that school. Luckily my daughter did not have her.

Mrs. Johnston my 10th grade English teacher was a bad alcoholic, and did not grasp the English language. My mother substitute taught for her once and she wrote my mother a thank you note. The note consisted of 5 of 6 sentences with three punctuation errors and 4 misspellings.

Mrs. Wilder my Algebra 2 teacher in high school was terrible. She was a pot head. The funny thing was they lost the teachers addition of the book, and it was her first year, so when she worked out the examples on the board she actually had to work them out. I'd shout out the answer before she was halfway through and it would infuriate her. Later on I used to go over to her house and smoke pot with her.

Mrs. Williams my Spanish 2 teacher in high school did not have a grasp on the English language much less the Spanish language. The only language that she really knew was ebonics.

Dr. Larry Parish the department head for the construction department in college. He was a pompous ass that didn't know a thing about construction. He was just good at working his way through the educational bureaucracy to a position of authority. Even the instructors under him had no respect for him. He is the only person I've ever heard Dr. Truitt speak ill of.

My favorite teacher was Mrs White who always taught class in high heels and wore those missile silo bras - often with a slightly see through shirt. Total MILF. Best days were when she had to stretch to write at the top of the blackboard. :wacko: