[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

National Anthem controversy

tazinib1

You dare to change the notes??

Ok before this gets into a race issue, which it is NOT, just sing the song the way it was written. You wanna be an artist? Cool, I'm down with that. Just don't butcher our national anthem in the process. It is one of only a handful of songs that should not be altered. If you can't sing it the way it was written, fine....thats cool. We'll find somebody that can. Why is this always a race issue. I can hear Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton getting geared up to defend this 16yr via the national talk cirquit...cause you know, they never have anything to say unless its involving some poor person that has been wronged by the white man. Ugh....

She seems to have a nice voice, so it's curios why she sucked so incredibly bad singing the anthem. It was terrible, and if she tried that in Philly, of course as long as there was no snow cause we all know everyone in Philadelphia would be in the basement weeping over bibles with the cell phones one finger press away from screaming at 911, they would have thrown batteries at her.

That article was not only poorly written, but the racial and "freedom of expression" issues were way off base.

Anyone - including Shai Warfield-Cross - is free to do the national anthem anyway they want, just like Hendrix did. On the other hand, event planners are free to invite whoever they want to sing by whatever guidelines they want. And the rest of us people are free to like or dislike whatever we want. We ALL have the freedom of expression - Ms. Warfiled-Cross' certainly doesn't trump anyone else's.

I do not like "alternative" versions of the National Anthem. If it was up to me it would be sung the way it was written. It is not up to me, so when some jackass gets up there and starts butchering it I typically change the channel or hit the mute button. That is just my opinion, and that is not to say people don't have the right to sing it anyway they want to.

I do not like "alternative" versions of the National Anthem. If it was up to me it would be sung the way it was written. It is not up to me, so when some jackass gets up there and starts butchering it I typically change the channel or hit the mute button. That is just my opinion, and that is not to say people don't have the right to sing it anyway they want to.

I agree. Some mindless jazz saxophonist at a Timberwolves game butchered the thing a few years back. It was awful. That said, why on earth is it mandatory to play it at every sporting and other event? Jeez, it's only a matter of time before you can't start a garage sale without a rendition of the National Anthem.

She couldn't hit the low notes, so she sang alternate ones. Cut the girl some slack. As national anthems go, the Star Spangled Banner is difficult to sing.

Plus it isn't really that great of a song.

She couldn't hit the low notes, so she sang alternate ones. Cut the girl some slack. As national anthems go, the Star Spangled Banner is difficult to sing.

This.

And I was expecting much worse. I didn't have a problem with it. I didn't think it was great either, but I don't think she was close to butchering it.

Aurora Marin, the teen's stepmother, told The Herald-Times that the directive denies Warfield-Cross her "rights of expression and individuality." The family has written a letter to school officials seeking an apology..

Don't agree with this. The school has every right to want it sang a certain way. If this girl can't do it, they can find someone who can. This is a bit off topic, but we're a nation of pussies. Everyone gets there feelings hurt way too easy.

It was written as a poem. The music was co-opted from a British song of the day.

I don't have a problem with a departure from the "traditional" performance, only to say that, if you're going to try it, it should be good. Marvin Gaye did a great version. I think that Feliciano's 1968 performance at Tiger Stadium is probably the best performance of the song that I have heard.

Edited by Furd

I don't like it when Blackies have to black up a song or what ever but I thought that was OK.

Why is it cute when some dumbass white girl can't remember the words and Mo Cheeks needs to bail her out but a Black girl can't black up the melody a little.

I think not remembering the words is worse.

Edited by MojoMan

Well jeez...guess this story should have included some National Debt substance for ya. Sorry brother, I'll try harder next time.

:wacko:

I have heard the national anthem been altered from "the original notes" at almost every sporting event I have been at. Singers take artistic license to put theor own personal stamp on "their" renditions. Doesnt make it right, but doesnt make it new news either.

+1 - I'm okay with slight deviations here or there, but some people are way over the top. IIRC, Whitney Houston's rendition was kind of the catalyst that made everyone want to change it up to make it special. The problem is that it is more often miss than hit.

Just curious... Does anyone know if this happens in other countries with their respective national anthems? Seems like any time I've heard another national anthem (granted, not often), it's always pretty much note for note what it should be.

+1 - I'm okay with slight deviations here or there, but some people are way over the top. IIRC, Whitney Houston's rendition was kind of the catalyst that made everyone want to change it up to make it special. The problem is that it is more often miss than hit.

Just curious... Does anyone know if this happens in other countries with their respective national anthems? Seems like any time I've heard another national anthem (granted, not often), it's always pretty much note for note what it should be.

Thats cause we have freedom. Other countries dont. Why do you hate America you pinko commie son of . .? :wacko::tup::lol: