[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much to update fuse box?

Guggs

Thinking about selling my house. I live in Minnesota and I think if one sells a house, it must have breakers instead of the old fuse kind of electrical box. Just wondering if anyone knows how much I may be looking at to update it. I looked elsewhere on Internet but could not find a clear answer. Thanks.

Thinking about selling my house. I live in Minnesota and I think if one sells a house, it must have breakers instead of the old fuse kind of electrical box. Just wondering if anyone knows how much I may be looking at to update it. I looked elsewhere on Internet but could not find a clear answer. Thanks.

What kind of wiring do you have? If you don't have to re-wire anything then that should help to keep down the cost. Hopefully the project doesn't get bigger when an electrician looks at it.

I know of no law in Minnesota that requires the electrical to be updated to breakers upon selling a house. We bought ours a couple of years ago and we looked at plenty of houses with the old style fuses. I haven't heard of anything changing since then. Ask a realtor or call your city or county inspection dept. to confirm, though.

If it's a 60A panel, some (if not all) insurance companies for the person buying your house will not write a policy until the box is changed to 100a. At least that's been the case here lately.

As far as price, around here you're going to spend from $1000-1800 to upgrade your panel.

I know of no law in Minnesota that requires the electrical to be updated to breakers upon selling a house.

I used to work at an electrical supply house in downtown St. Paul and I have never heard of such a regulation. Maybe things have changed since but you should look into this hard to be sure.

I live in Minny and had my fuse box switched out for breakers a bit over two years ago. Cost me about $1,300, IIRC, and I had a GFI put in the kitchen and three other outlets added, plus upgraded from 100A to 150A because we had so many electrical appliances we were blowing things out all the time.

No problems since.

:wacko::lol::tup:

SEC is crazy, but he is kinda correct. Landing wires on breakers instead of fuses isn't some incredibly hard thing to do. Neither is mounting a metal box on the wall. The problem is if you screw something up, you put your place at risk of fire. If you f-up your plumbing you might get water in the basement, but I typically tell people to hire someone for electrical work because there are a lot of ways it can go bad if you don't know what you are doing.

It's pretty easy to do yourself if you cut the power from the main. Though, I don't play with electricity, anymore.

SEC is crazy, but he is kinda correct.

No, No No.

Yes, wiring a box is not hard, but cutting the power to the main WILL NOT WORK. The two wires coming in are still HOT. You would have to pull your meter can, which is a big no-no with the power company.