[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Moon: You are a racist if you criticize Newton

Bronco Billy

LINK

Moon angry over perceived racial bias toward Newton

By Mike Freeman

CBSSports.com National Columnist

March 30, 2011Tell Mike your opinion!

The words of Warren Moon carry tremendous weight. He's one of professional football's historic figures, both for his tremendous skill and his relevance as an African-American thrower.

So when Moon speaks about quarterback Cam Newton people should listen. When Moon says what he did during an extensive conversation with CBSSports.com about Newton and race, more than a few will.

Moon is Newton's adviser and prepared Newton for his combine workout in February. Since then, Moon has stayed in constant contact with Newton via text message and telephone conversations.

Moon was extremely angry over what he perceives as racially biased treatment of Newton by media and fans and was impassioned in his defense of Newton.

"A lot of the criticism he's receiving is unfortunate and racially based," Moon said. "I thought we were all past this. I don't see other quarterbacks in the draft being criticized by the media or fans about their smile or called a phony. He's being held to different standards from white quarterbacks. I thought we were past all this stuff about African-American quarterbacks, but I guess we're not.

"Of course there is racism in every walk of society. We've made a lot of progress in this country. But racism is still there. I just thought in the sports arena we were beyond it. I think the way Cam is being treated shows we're not."

Moon added: "The thing that makes me laugh is the question of can he [Newton] come out of the spread offense? Can he run a pro offense? Colt McCoy came out of the spread offense and very few people raised that issue about him. So did Sam Bradford. Same thing. Very few questions asking if Bradford could run a pro offense. Some of these questions about Cam are more about his intellect. It's blatant racism, some of it.

"When I played I fought some of this. Guys like myself and Randall Cunningham, we were playing for a bigger calling. We were playing for guys like Cam and others. It's disappointing to see some of this stuff still exists.

"There is no question," Moon added, "that African-American quarterbacks are in a better place. We've had black quarterbacks taken first overall recently like JaMarcus Russell ... Unfortunately, those players didn't have success.

"One of the things that's happening with Cam is that he's being lumped in with them. It's not fair. They're all different guys." Moon explained he doesn't think NFL teams are discriminating against Newton.

Moon is most troubled by the notion -- a notion that continues to grow -- that Newton is something he's not. To Moon, it's contrary to the Newton he knows.

"You can't be fake and win a national championship," Moon said. "The players will see through it. He's won at every level. He took that Auburn team to the national title and that team wasn't as talented as some other teams in the SEC.

"Just turn on the film and watch what he does on game day. Then if you have concerns just spend time with him. Go around the kid himself. Spend as much time as you need around him. You can only fake so much."

Some of you will hate what Moon says. Some will nod their head in agreement. What's clear is that Moon has the courage to discuss Newton in such honest terms.

Moon's words carry weight and they just started an interesting conversation.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Because Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford were also criticized as being "system quarterbacks" throughout their college careers, referred to themselves as future celebrity icons, and were caught trying to sell their services as players to prospective universities.

It's definitely because Cam is black.

:wacko:

Would Moon be Newton's adviser if Newton was white? Is that not racial?

Black QB's have not faired all that well in the NFL so is it not legit to question a guy coming out as a black QB? Maybe there is something that makes a white dude better at being a QB? Now that may come across as racial but could it be true? Are white people winning any sprint races? Is there something different about a black track star and a white track star? I think there is - does it mean either is any better of a person? No - black athletes sure seem to be faster when it comes to sprinting so is it that big of a stretch to maybe say white QB's are better suited than black QB's????

Black QB's have not faired all that well in the NFL so is it not legit to question a guy coming out as a black QB? Maybe there is something that makes a white dude better at being a QB? Now that may come across as racial but could it be true? Are white people winning any sprint races? Is there something different about a black track star and a white track star? I think there is - does it mean either is any better of a person? No - black athletes sure seem to be faster when it comes to sprinting so is it that big of a stretch to maybe say white QB's are better suited than black QB's????

Jimmy The Greek?

I guess it's a good thing Tebow was white, or Moon would have been complaining about his drop in the draft too.

Man, you beat me to it, but since I took the time to write out a sarcastic response:

Anybody else remember the same conversations about choir-boy Tebow last year, about how he was a system QB who played in a spread offense that doesn't require the same skills that a pro-style offense does? That you can't make it in the NFL with your feet alone and inaccurate throws?

And then go on to compare him to Bradford, who did nothing but dazzle at his pro day, and was clearly far more NFL-ready... Anyone who watched Newton at the combine could see with plain eyes that he was not very impressive and all over the place with his throws (though when he did much better at his pro day, those same "racists" had the nerve to say he actually looked much better. What an outrage!)

Then you add in the character concerns, and he's still projected to be taken higher than Tebow was. :wacko: Sorry Moon, but you're reaching for straws here...

LINK

Moon angry over perceived racial bias toward Newton

By Mike Freeman

CBSSports.com National Columnist

March 30, 2011Tell Mike your opinion!

The words of Warren Moon carry tremendous weight. He's one of professional football's historic figures, both for his tremendous skill and his relevance as an African-American thrower.

So when Moon speaks about quarterback Cam Newton people should listen. When Moon says what he did during an extensive conversation with CBSSports.com about Newton and race, more than a few will.

Moon is Newton's adviser and prepared Newton for his combine workout in February. Since then, Moon has stayed in constant contact with Newton via text message and telephone conversations.

Moon was extremely angry over what he perceives as racially biased treatment of Newton by media and fans and was impassioned in his defense of Newton.

"A lot of the criticism he's receiving is unfortunate and racially based," Moon said. "I thought we were all past this. I don't see other quarterbacks in the draft being criticized by the media or fans about their smile or called a phony. He's being held to different standards from white quarterbacks. I thought we were past all this stuff about African-American quarterbacks, but I guess we're not.

"Of course there is racism in every walk of society. We've made a lot of progress in this country. But racism is still there. I just thought in the sports arena we were beyond it. I think the way Cam is being treated shows we're not."

Moon added: "The thing that makes me laugh is the question of can he [Newton] come out of the spread offense? Can he run a pro offense? Colt McCoy came out of the spread offense and very few people raised that issue about him. So did Sam Bradford. Same thing. Very few questions asking if Bradford could run a pro offense. Some of these questions about Cam are more about his intellect. It's blatant racism, some of it.

"When I played I fought some of this. Guys like myself and Randall Cunningham, we were playing for a bigger calling. We were playing for guys like Cam and others. It's disappointing to see some of this stuff still exists.

"There is no question," Moon added, "that African-American quarterbacks are in a better place. We've had black quarterbacks taken first overall recently like JaMarcus Russell ... Unfortunately, those players didn't have success.

"One of the things that's happening with Cam is that he's being lumped in with them. It's not fair. They're all different guys." Moon explained he doesn't think NFL teams are discriminating against Newton.

Moon is most troubled by the notion -- a notion that continues to grow -- that Newton is something he's not. To Moon, it's contrary to the Newton he knows.

"You can't be fake and win a national championship," Moon said. "The players will see through it. He's won at every level. He took that Auburn team to the national title and that team wasn't as talented as some other teams in the SEC.

"Just turn on the film and watch what he does on game day. Then if you have concerns just spend time with him. Go around the kid himself. Spend as much time as you need around him. You can only fake so much."

Some of you will hate what Moon says. Some will nod their head in agreement. What's clear is that Moon has the courage to discuss Newton in such honest terms.

Moon's words carry weight and they just started an interesting conversation.

So burnt on the race card...If people would just let it die racism might die one day. Stop beating a dead horse and move foward.

I think your point is a bit of a stretch because there could simply be too many factors in play. For starters, there are simply more white QBs. More good ones and more bad ones. There's just more total. That doesn't necc. mean that white guys are better suited to play the position, it could simply mean that more white kids are guided into that position at an early age. Also, even among those black kids who get put behind center, if you're big and fast, especially fast, your coach is going to want to exploit that talent, so you may not get the attention to training at the more pocket-oriented aspects of the game. A guy like Payton Manning, for instance, was taught to do nothing more than drop back and look at the field. The last thing his coach wanted him to do was tuck it and run, because he may be the slowest guy on the field. And because the NFL likes a drop-back passer, he was better trained to excel at that level.

Who's to say that someone like Terrel Pryor wouldn't have become a better pure passer if his coach wasn't encouraging him to run as much because his HS coach and his College coach get paid to win games. Making him stay back and learn to be a better pure passer isn't going to yield the results that letting him take advantage of the fact that he's just as big and much faster than nearly all the kids on the other side of the line at the lower levels. I mean, if you're his HS coach and you know that you can just turn him loose on every play and he's going to get you 15 or more yards, why the hell wouldn't you do that? You don't care if he ever makes the pros as a QB, you care about going undefeated.

But that's not a black thing, that's a big and fast guy thing. So, if we draw the conclusion that you just did, we are being racist. If a black kid comes along who's not particularly fast, gets put behind center at an early age, and is trained the way that most white kids get trained at the position, there should be little reason why he wouldn't succeed.

I think your point is a bit of a stretch because there could simply be too many factors in play. For starters, there are simply more white QBs. More good ones and more bad ones. There's just more total. That doesn't necc. mean that white guys are better suited to play the position, it could simply mean that more white kids are guided into that position at an early age. Also, even among those black kids who get put behind center, if you're big and fast, especially fast, your coach is going to want to exploit that talent, so you may not get the attention to training at the more pocket-oriented aspects of the game. A guy like Payton Manning, for instance, was taught to do nothing more than drop back and look at the field. The last thing his coach wanted him to do was tuck it and run, because he may be the slowest guy on the field. And because the NFL likes a drop-back passer, he was better trained to excel at that level.

Who's to say that someone like Terrel Pryor wouldn't have become a better pure passer if his coach wasn't encouraging him to run as much because his HS coach and his College coach get paid to win games. Making him stay back and learn to be a better pure passer isn't going to yield the results that letting him take advantage of the fact that he's just as big and much faster than nearly all the kids on the other side of the line at the lower levels. I mean, if you're his HS coach and you know that you can just turn him loose on every play and he's going to get you 15 or more yards, why the hell wouldn't you do that? You don't care if he ever makes the pros as a QB, you care about going undefeated.

But that's not a black thing, that's a big and fast guy thing. So, if we draw the conclusion that you just did, we are being racist. If a black kid comes along who's not particularly fast, gets put behind center at an early age, and is trained the way that most white kids get trained at the position, there should be little reason why he wouldn't succeed.

I can add alittle to that. How many times do we hear the phrase "...played QB in High School"? ALOT!! I've seen many many black skill players who were transitioned from QB to other positions because of there athletic ability. I don't think its a matter of a black player not being able to play QB, I think its a matter of them being taken out of the position BECAUSE of there ability...not a lack of it.

Lets have a little contest. Name me 10 white QB's, past or present, that could transition from QB to another position and succeed at the NFL level. I'll start it off by giving you one: Tim Tebow (yeah I hate to admit it but the guy could be a RB).

Edited by tazinib1

This is not to say that scrutinizing Newton on all his off the field issues, and/or being concerned about whether or not he'll be a good NFL QB is racist as Moon says. That's BS. Like others have mentioned, Tebow dropped for many of the same on-field issues that people are pinning on Newton and had absolutely none of the baggage that Newton has. And, hell, it's not like Newton is really going to drop that far at all. He's almost assured to be a top 10 pick, Tebow was a "stretch" at 20-something.

I'm just saying the "maybe white dudes just make better QBs" is. Because that result could actually be a result of racial profiling from an early age, not white dudes simply being more genetically suited to the position.

Edited by detlef

This is not to say that scrutinizing Newton on all his off the field issues, and/or being concerned about whether or not he'll be a good NFL QB is racist as Moon says. That's BS. Like others have mentioned, Tebow dropped for many of the same on-field issues that people are pinning on Newton and had absolutely none of the baggage that Newton has. And, hell, it's not like Newton is really going to drop that far at all. He's almost assured to be a top 10 pick, Tebow was a "stretch" at 20-something.

I'm just saying the "maybe white dudes just make better QBs" is. Because that result could actually be a result of racial profiling from an early age, not white dudes simply being more genetically suited to the position.

I get what you are saying but look at what Taz said - Name 10 white QB's that you could transition to RB. You can't - again it actually does come down to race - I guess what I am kinda saying is that even if you do say it is race that it does not mean you are some horrible racist dude - maybe the definition of being racial is there but it is not always bad. It sure seems that black athletes are better suited as cover corners - is that racial - I guess but is it bad - no - why is it bad to say you are better gifted at something than someone else?

It sure seems like black athletes have basically excelled at almost every position in the NFL except at QB - just trying to figure out why that is and I do think the reason that in high school they are not groomed to be an NFL type QB is probably a good theory.

I get what you are saying but look at what Taz said - Name 10 white QB's that you could transition to RB. You can't - again it actually does come down to race - I guess what I am kinda saying is that even if you do say it is race that it does not mean you are some horrible racist dude - maybe the definition of being racial is there but it is not always bad. It sure seems that black athletes are better suited as cover corners - is that racial - I guess but is it bad - no - why is it bad to say you are better gifted at something than someone else?

It sure seems like black athletes have basically excelled at almost every position in the NFL except at QB - just trying to figure out why that is and I do think the reason that in high school they are not groomed to be an NFL type QB is probably a good theory.

I guess that's sort of the hard pill to swallow. I mean, my theory sort of implies that white guys end up being good QBs because they lack the physical skills to entice their coaches to either put them at another, more physically demanding position, or use them as QBs in a way that will hinder their ultimate success. And this is certainly not 100% the case.

Mind you, I've gotten into arguments with guys that white guys get an unfair rap about not being as fast and I think that's a rather thin argument. One need only look at the Olympic 100m finals to realize that it's hardly a bold assumption to say that most really fast guys just happen to be black. And, unlike QB, you're either fast or you're not. Some white kid is not going to be left off the track team because he's not black. If he shows up at tryouts and runs faster than everyone else, you have to think that some coach is going to train him and help him get as fast as he can. I'm sure there are instances of unfair racial profiling in recruiting that works against white kids at speed positions. But again, to say that most fast guys tend to be black is hardly an off-base statement.

I mean, the possibility that there's some genetic coding that makes white guys predisposed to be better passers shouldn't be completely ignored. There's obviously specific physical traits that are more common in black people than white people, so the opposite is certainly true. Aren't there certain spinal issues more common in black people? Maybe there's something in the shape or muscle make-up common in white men or something that makes white guys genetically inclined to throw a better spiral. Who knows? And just like it's not racist to recognize the speed thing, this wouldn't be either. However, given how much training must go into being a good QB (likely more than any other position on the field), I'm inclined to think that it does have a lot to do with how many are taught how to be passers from an early age.

Edited by detlef

I can add alittle to that. How many times do we hear the phrase "...played QB in High School"? ALOT!! I've seen many many black skill players who were transitioned from QB to other positions because of there athletic ability. I don't think its a matter of a black player not being able to play QB, I think its a matter of them being taken out of the position BECAUSE of there ability...not a lack of it.

Lets have a little contest. Name me 10 white QB's, past or present, that could transition from QB to another position and succeed at the NFL level. I'll start it off by giving you one: Tim Tebow (yeah I hate to admit it but the guy could be a RB).

I can only think of one. Nolan Cromwell played QB for Kansas and was an all-pro safety for the Rams. There may be some others but your point is valid.

I can only think of one. Nolan Cromwell played QB for Kansas and was an all-pro safety for the Rams. There may be some others but your point is valid.

Paul Hourning won the Heisman Trophy as QB for Norte Dame, then was a RB for Green Bay.

Can you name the white cornerbacks? I dont think its racism I think any coach would hire an alien if he could play the position because all coaches want is to win. Now I do think people stereotype and think white QB's can be better and black DB can be better but I think the NFL is the least racists organization around due to the fact they are all trying to win. I also think blacks have done great in the NFL.

I dont see them complaining there are too many blacks in the NBA. Nascar dosent have too many blacks either. Before you call the NFL racist look around. How many black hockey players are there? How many white rappers are there?

If you want to make a race quota everywhere then do it. Everything will be fair and people will still bitch about it.

I think when people only complain one way on anything they have an agenda.

There I go beating the dead horse I got sucked in again.

Edited by Undefeated72

Wasn't there an option QB from Neb (Crouch?) who had a short stint as a CB for the NYJ? I wouldn't say he succeeded at the NFL level, or anything, but he came to mind as a white QB who had the ability to play elsewhere.

Matt Jones (Arkansas QB that moved to WR in JAC) is another.

Give me a minute, and I'm sure I can come up with seven more. :wacko:

I'm not saying I take either side in this debate (although I do think Moon's a bit off on this one). I just found gbpfan's question to be an interesting one, because I know there HAVE been a few college QB's (some white) to move to other positions, over the years. Coming up with a solid list of ten, though, might be pretty tough.