[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Possibly the greatest draft in NFL history coming up

Bronco Billy

By greatest draft, I don't mean by the influx of raw talent into the NFL. In fact, that lack of overwhelming separate-yourself-from-the-pack-future-fixture-at-All-Pro talent - but with enough talent to produce a whole lot of starter quality players at the NFL level - is precisely what makes this draft so intriguing.

In other drafts you could make a reasonable projection of the top 12 to 15 players, where they were likely headed, and come up with a list that was very similar to others doing the same thing completely independent of yourself.

This draft? It's all over the board. You've got 2 or 3 players that are very likely top 6/7 but could go to numerous places depending upon where the top 2 to 3 teams decide to go (and those are seemingly completely up for grabs also) and then a ton of players who fit into being fully capable of filling out the rest of the top half of the draft.

We also ought to see a ton of trading action in the bottom half of the first round as QB thin teams start trading up from the top half of the 2nd round in order to nab one of the gaggle of QBs who don't warrant upper 1st round picks but won't last into the middle of the 2nd round.

This draft ought to be one of the more exciting drafts to watch in terms of being a fan, and it appears there are very real possibilities for surprises right from the very start with 1.01. I don't remember any draft being quite as uncertain in the way it unfolds as this one.

Very true. The uncertainty of this draft is also in large part due to there being no free agency, so teams are not able to shore up various positions prior to the draft. This draft will have more of an impact on free agency when that opens up later this year, vs. free agency having a major impact on teams draft.

I've got to agree! I've never seen a draft where 1 week a guy could be considered a top 10 draft pick and then the next he's fallen around the 4th (Locker as example) while some lower draft picks are now showing up in the first round in many mock drafts.

For Dynasty FF purposes, this is a draft where quantity of picks outweighs quality. I would trade down for multiple picks.

In 1 Dynasty league, I have 12 picks, another 10 and one I'm working on a deal to add another 4, lower picks to my already 10 picks.

This is an IDP pick heaven in that depending where some of these kids end up, you could have a 5 rounder starting the season! It's freaking AWESOME!

In 1 Dynasty league, I have 12 picks, another 10 and one I'm working on a deal to add another 4, lower picks to my already 10 picks.

This is an IDP pick heaven in that depending where some of these kids end up, you could have a 5 rounder starting the season! It's freaking AWESOME!

I think this isa RB heavy draft.

For Dynasty FF purposes, this is a draft where quantity of picks outweighs quality. I would trade down for multiple picks.

The problem I have in 2 dynasty leagues is I went young last year and loaded up my team with rookie players & 2011 1st round picks

I in one league I own 1.04 , 1.06 , 1.12 , 1.13

My roster is already full with only 2 to maybe 3 players I want to cut lose ,, I hate to give up on the young talent I drafted last year to gamble on this years players ,,, We do not have to cut our rosters down until the eve of the first regular season game but it's hard to gauge most players that soon.

Edited by MustOfBeenDrunk

The problem I have in 2 dynasty leagues is I went young last year and loaded up my team with rookie players & 2011 1st round picks

I in one league I own 1.04 , 1.06 , 1.12 , 1.13

My roster is already full with only 2 to maybe 3 players I want to cut lose ,, I hate to give up on the young talent I drafted last year to gamble on this years players ,,, We do not have to cut our rosters down until the eve of the first regular season game but it's hard to gauge most players that soon.

LOL, ditto. I won a FA bid on Torain last year and I had a bunch of young players I was hoping to hold onto so before the season, when Channy cut Torain, I dropped Torain... got lambasted for that one!

I think this is one of the weakest drafts that I've ever seen before, if not the weakest. You've got no safeties, 1 LB, a lack of pass-rushers, no top-end lineman, maybe 1 or 2 RB's, and questionable quarterbacks all over the place. It's a pretty good draft at corner and WR, and there is some decent depth at DL, and that is about it.

I think this is one of the weakest drafts that I've ever seen before, if not the weakest. You've got no safeties, 1 LB, a lack of pass-rushers, no top-end lineman, maybe 1 or 2 RB's, and questionable quarterbacks all over the place. It's a pretty good draft at corner and WR, and there is some decent depth at DL, and that is about it.

That's why quantity is better. There is no sure pick in this draft, but I can guarantee there will be hidden gems.

That's why quantity is better. There is no sure pick in this draft, but I can guarantee there will be hidden gems.

we find that to be true every year ,,, my best was Colston with the very last pick of the rookie draft

So, again, why should the owners subject themselves to paying as much for the best of this shabby group as they do for the best of, maybe next year's group which could be much better? And why should the players lose money via salary cap that will be eaten up to a sub-par batch of rookies?

When STL and Detroit sucked last year, at least there was Bradford and Suh waiting for them. Whomever sucks next year gets Luck. Why should Carolina be forced to pay as much for Newton as someone pays next year for Luck?

An auction would fix this. Sure, it would be a wasted opportunity for Carolina to not be able to take advantage of whatever advantage they get in the auction for being last place, but at least they wouldn't have the compounded by being required to shell out big bucks for a guy who wouldn't be able to command top dollar in any other year.

So, again, why should the owners subject themselves to paying as much for the best of this shabby group as they do for the best of, maybe next year's group which could be much better? And why should the players lose money via salary cap that will be eaten up to a sub-par batch of rookies?

When STL and Detroit sucked last year, at least there was Bradford and Suh waiting for them. Whomever sucks next year gets Luck. Why should Carolina be forced to pay as much for Newton as someone pays next year for Luck?

An auction would fix this. Sure, it would be a wasted opportunity for Carolina to not be able to take advantage of whatever advantage they get in the auction for being last place, but at least they wouldn't have the compounded by being required to shell out big bucks for a guy who wouldn't be able to command top dollar in any other year.

Which is why Carolina really needs to stop with this Newton crap and take AJ Green.

This is a good point and sparked an idea in my head. What if the draft had elements of UFA? So Carolina drafts Newton and agrees to give him $30MM for 3 years - BUT then any other team can make a bid on Cam Newton for a higher dollar value (if they choose) at which point CAR could match or pass. Everybody wins (on paper) and no more rookie holdouts presumably.