[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Student peacefully requesting to burn the US flag

SuperBalla

My next favorite is the eventual fishing which revolves around proper flag protocol. guess I'll bet that started. I have burned more than one American flag.

It's not about burning the flag, that can simply be an act of proper disposal. It's about what you are thinking about when burning it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have burned more than one American flag.

US Flag Code. TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > Sec. 8(k). It states:

"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning"

I am assuming that you burned them under the guidelines of this code.... right?

It's not about burning the flag, that can simply be an act of proper disposal. It's about what you are thinking about when burning it.

I believe I was thinking something along the lines of "I can't wait to get away from Grandpa and his VFW firends so that I can get stoned and jump Ann Marie." Fairly patriotic thoughts actually.

US Flag Code. TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > Sec. 8(k). It states:

"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning"

I am assuming that you burned them under the guidelines of this code.... right?

Well that fishing trip went about as poorly as I thought, even hoped, it would.

this kid's reasons for doing this are pathetic.

but... once again, how is this not idolotry? We are talking about a piece of fabric. No soul or feelings, but a piece of fabric Folk want to get violent over this?

Okay - as I said - this kid's reason for doing this is pathetic which makes this seem a lot more disrespectful to our country, but violence? Even in those cases where somebody has real concern with the actions of our nation? Our country hasn't always been good and honorable in all things and the flag is just as relevant when we are doing bad things as it is when we are doing good things.

Most politicians do more damage to this country, our goodness, honor and spirit, than any flag burner could - but folk aren't all openly talking about violence brought against them

I love these threads. My favorite part is when people come in to post hyperobvious points about the first amendment as if those points have never occured to the reader.

So what do you want to see in a flag burning thread, onion dip recipes?

quote name='Furd' post='3435106' date='5/16/11 12:02pm']So what do you want to see in a flag burning thread, onion dip recipes?

Chicks, Lots of hot chicks wearing flag bikinis or flag decals on the backside of really tight, short jeans.

Like are found on this page.[

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

quote name='Furd' post='3435106' date='5/16/11 12:02pm']So what do you want to see in a flag burning thread, onion dip recipes?

Chicks, Lots of hot chicks wearing flag bikinis or flag decals on the backside of really tight, short jeans.

Like are found on this page.[

No better place for the US Flag than on a hot chick's vag!!!!

Well that fishing trip went about as poorly as I thought, even hoped, it would.

C'mon...I'm sure you had an impure thought or two when burning it. Did you think about your Honda/Toyota/BMW needing an oil change, traitor?

I'm was referencing those that advocated that the flag burner get his ass beat for the act of burning a flag.

Got it. Yeah, I don't mind drowning him out and intimidating him, etc. but would draw the line at inflicting bodily harm upon him.

this kid's reasons for doing this are pathetic.

but... once again, how is this not idolotry? We are talking about a piece of fabric. No soul or feelings, but a piece of fabric Folk want to get violent over this?

Okay - as I said - this kid's reason for doing this is pathetic which makes this seem a lot more disrespectful to our country, but violence?

Agreed. It would have been better if absolutely no one showed up.

If a person burns the American flag and no one is there to see it, did they really burn the American flag?

Wouldn't you think that if you are going to burn the US flag, there is a good chance you might lose yer teeth via a fist or boot?

Yes, without a doubt, so common discretion and my unwillingness to part with my teeth would tell me it was a bad idea. For the reasons stated earlier, I think it's a really bad idea on pretty much every level.

Still, flag burning IS protected free speech whether you or I like it or not, thus a boot to the teeth is tantamount to the suppression of free speech, which, IMO, is worse.

Wouldn't you think that if you are going to burn the US flag, there is a good chance you might lose yer teeth via a fist or boot?

If a young woman gets drunk at a frat party, there's a good chance some frat boys might pull a train on her or defile her in any number of ways. However, I certainly believe that the frat boys have broken the law and should be punished.

In both cases, the flag burner and the drunk woman have shown poor judgment (in my opinion). However, exercising poor judgment does not mean it is acceptable for others to break the law.

If a young woman gets drunk at a frat party, there's a good chance some frat boys might pull a train on her or defile her in any number of ways. However, I certainly believe that the frat boys have broken the law and should be punished.

In both cases, the flag burner and the drunk woman have shown poor judgment (in my opinion). However, exercising poor judgment does not mean it is acceptable for others to break the law.

This, and I'm astounded that it even needed to be explained.

Yes, without a doubt, so common discretion and my unwillingness to part with my teeth would tell me it was a bad idea. For the reasons stated earlier, I think it's a really bad idea on pretty much every level.

Still, flag burning IS protected free speech whether you or I like it or not, thus a boot to the teeth is tantamount to the suppression of free speech, which, IMO, is worse.

I know, there is no argument there. I hope it changes though, to penalize for burning the US flag. In a protest I mean, but then again, the proper way to dispose of the flag is to burn it. Could you legally seperate the two?

I understand perfectly what we are talking about bro, thanks. I am not disagreeing that it is against the law to punch someone in the face. I think the person punching the US flag burner also would know that they are about to get tackled by the cops and thrown in jail and quite possibly going to get the book thrown at him/her to be an example to other Americans, you may burn the US flag in peace.

Like Ursa said, it is clearly obvious that bodily harm would very likely follow, if you burn the US flag. Especially on a Republican, coonass, gun toting, America loving campus. Even you Yuk.

This, and I'm astounded that it even needed to be explained.

Hey goof...what are you talking about? Explained to who?

Edited by SuperBalla