[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A headhunter calls you about a job change and you take the call....

Tford

Headhunter calls you about a job change and you take the call....  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What do you say to your current employer?

• Nothing unless your discussions with the headhunter lead to a change of employment.
    • Discuss it with your boss when you receive an offer and you are trying to make a decision.
    • Discuss it with your boss when you head in for the interview.
    • Discuss it with your boss AFTER you talk to the headhunter about the prospects they have.
    • Discuss it with your boss BEFORE you talk to the headhunter to seee if he's ok with it
    • I wouldn't talk to a headhunter while currently employed.

I'm currently employed by a medium sized oil and gas producer in Canada as a production engineer. It's a career that really in demand in the province I live in because almost every oil and gas producer that has operations in Canada, has a major operations center in Calgary.

Because Calgary is such a hub for engineering and engineers are scarce, headhunters make a good living finding people for companies in need.

I've fielded many phone calls from them in the past but I've always been turned away when I say that I'm not interested in a lateral move, only a promotion. At least, until last week. A headhunter called him on behalf of a company that's larger than the one I currently work for and was very receptive to the possibility of me getting a look at a senior engineering role. I'm guessing that because I become a professional this year, that is causing me to get lumped into a higher group than I'm used to belonging to.

I have no idea about benefits, pay, bonus etc. and only have a rough idea of the duties of a senior engineer with that company.

My boss does not know that I have talked to the headhunter but I have not followed up with headhunter past our initial talks. So I guess that rules me out of option 5 and 6. Just curious what the typical play is where. If I had to guess, once you reveal that you are looking at other options, you've kind of burned the bridge for moving up in your current company, haven't you?

Say nothing to your employer, they will not understand and furthermore will not trust you or possibly even consider you in future promotions. If tell them and stay, then they will think you are bucking for a raise by threatening them. Loyalty goes a very long way. What is going to happen if say prices for Oil and Gas fall and some of the "new guys" have to be let go, regardless of their title? Like I say, loyalty means alot, especially in harder times. Very hard to let go of a guy who has been with the company for 10 years versus the new guy. Plus, you better make damm sure any new job you take is with a company that has lots of acreage to produce and a big agenda and watch out for any new start up companies or companies trying to ramp up drilling activity only to shut down when prices go bad or shut down b/c Land Dept. can't get any acreage. My 2 cents ... good luck!

If you work for a corporation, I wouldn't say anything to my current employer. If you work for a company in which you have a reasonable relationship with the owner of the company (say a family-owned firm) I might say something if things got serious with the head-hunter.

In either case, I would not conduct any business with the headhunter while you are at work or while using any company resources (say a company-issued cell-phone, company e-mail account, etc.)

I think that you should always explore your options.

I don't think that there is any reason for you to tell your employer that you spoke with a headhunter.

I think that you tell your employer about the offer before resigning only if you want to use it as leverage for a raise or promotion.

You have absolutely no responsibility to do anything except give appropriate notice upon resignation, and then mainly to keep your reputation intact and to not burn that bridge.

A business is in business to make money. They will employ you as long as you are helping to meet that goal.

You are employed to make money. You should work with the company that best helps you to meet that goal.

Before you went in for an interview at the other company, it'd be good if you knew whether or not you'd be inline for a promotion within the year if you stay where you're at...

You have absolutely no responsibility to do anything except give appropriate notice upon resignation, and then mainly to keep your reputation intact and to not burn that bridge.

A business is in business to make money. They will employ you as long as you are helping to meet that goal.

You are employed to make money. You should work with the company that best helps you to meet that goal.

This.

Unless, of course, you are employed by a professional sports team.

If you work for a corporation, I wouldn't say anything to my current employer. If you work for a company in which you have a reasonable relationship with the owner of the company (say a family-owned firm) I might say something if things got serious with the head-hunter.

In either case, I would not conduct any business with the headhunter while you are at work or while using any company resources (say a company-issued cell-phone, company e-mail account, etc.)

This.

Say nothing to your employer, they will not understand and furthermore will not trust you or possibly even consider you in future promotions. If tell them and stay, then they will think you are bucking for a raise by threatening them. Loyalty goes a very long way. What is going to happen if say prices for Oil and Gas fall and some of the "new guys" have to be let go, regardless of their title? Like I say, loyalty means alot, especially in harder times. Very hard to let go of a guy who has been with the company for 10 years versus the new guy. Plus, you better make damm sure any new job you take is with a company that has lots of acreage to produce and a big agenda and watch out for any new start up companies or companies trying to ramp up drilling activity only to shut down when prices go bad or shut down b/c Land Dept. can't get any acreage. My 2 cents ... good luck!

I agree. Even if you have a conversation with the headhunter that goes absolutely nowhere, I definitely would NOT tell my current employer about it. It could end up hurting you whether they would admit that or not.

And take Wiegie's advice. Don't use company phones, email etc. to pursue this if you do.

You wouldn't believe the number of resumes that I have found in copy machines at the various places that I have worked. :wacko:

All the advice here is sound: don't tell your current employer but also don't act cloak and daggery with the potential one. Telling the potential you cannot take calls at the work place or emails through the work system makes you look better.