[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Going to Boston, need hotel and parking advice

Skilly

The little woman and I are taking short vacation to Boston this summer to spend a few days there and see the sights. Any recommendations on hotels? I was thinking of staying downtown so that we are in walking distance of a lot of things, but I'm worried about parking. Most of the hotels charge upwards of $40 per day to park.

Would like to hit some lively bars at night, and in the day we plan on doing the touristy things.

The little woman and I are taking short vacation to Boston this summer to spend a few days there and see the sights. Any recommendations on hotels? I was thinking of staying downtown so that we are in walking distance of a lot of things, but I'm worried about parking. Most of the hotels charge upwards of $40 per day to park.

Would like to hit some lively bars at night, and in the day we plan on doing the touristy things.

I grew up three hours from Boston. In my life I would guess I have visited 17 of the 20 largest cities in the US, from Miami to Seattle to Houston to Chicago...but not Boston, and that's fine with me. I hear the people are rude, traffic sucks, it's expensive, and obviously you've got the Pats and Sox and their fans. I'd rather spend a winter in Kazakhstan. No offense to any Bostonians intended. :wacko:

I grew up three hours from Boston. In my life I would guess I have visited 17 of the 20 largest cities in the US, from Miami to Seattle to Houston to Chicago...but not Boston, and that's fine with me. I hear the people are rude, traffic sucks, it's expensive, and obviously you've got the Pats and Sox and their fans. I'd rather spend a winter in Kazakhstan. No offense to any Bostonians intended. :wacko:

:lol: All true. We are in Connecticut now, and just looking to do a quick vacation to someplace we can drive to. The reason I was asking about the parking is that I too hear it's hell there. Was hoping there is a way to find some long term parking and then maybe get a cab or shuttle to the hotel, if we decide to stay downtown.

When I finally leave the northeast, I probably won't be back so I figured I'd check out Boston. :tup:

I used to do a lot of work with BU. I like to stay in the Harvard Square section of town and take the T everywhere. There are a ton of pubs/restaurants in the area that you can hit after a day of being a tourist.

:tup: All true. We are in Connecticut now, and just looking to do a quick vacation to someplace we can drive to. The reason I was asking about the parking is that I too hear it's hell there. Was hoping there is a way to find some long term parking and then maybe get a cab or shuttle to the hotel, if we decide to stay downtown.

When I finally leave the northeast, I probably won't be back so I figured I'd check out Boston. :wacko:

Go on Hotwire, find a 3* or higher hotel in NYC. See a show, enjoy the best pizza in the world, take a Circle Line tour, have a picnic in Central Park, check out Ground Zero, window shop in Soho, people-watch in the village, walk around the seaport and see the old ships, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Screw parking, take the train to GCT and get a subway map.

:lol:

Granted it was in 1996... :wacko:

But around this time of year they had some sort of big sailboat deal and we couldn't find a hotel in the city to save our lives.

We had to stay in Brighton, I think, which was like 25 miles northwest of the city.

Enjoyed our stay there, though... and wish we coulda been in the city.

Only been to Boston once and that was many years ago. The only thing I can advise is not to try parking in a Parking Garage if you have a luggage carrier on top of your car. :wacko: Forgot all about that thing. :tup:

I'm picturing a Clark Griswald station wagon here.

:tup: All true. We are in Connecticut now, and just looking to do a quick vacation to someplace we can drive to. The reason I was asking about the parking is that I too hear it's hell there. Was hoping there is a way to find some long term parking and then maybe get a cab or shuttle to the hotel, if we decide to stay downtown.

When I finally leave the northeast, I probably won't be back so I figured I'd check out Boston. :wacko:

I went to college in Boston (for two years) and have visited numerous times, been to over a 100 Sox games, Celts, B's, concerts, etc. I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken a cab. Ride the T. It goes everywhere and anywhere you'll want to go. Any tourist location will tell you what T stop they are on, as well as any hotel or restaurant.

As far as where to stay, I've only stayed at a hotel four or five times. I'd look around down town, I'm not sure every hotel charges that much, but I could be wrong. Also, try some of the airport hotels, they might be lower.

My best piece of advice is to eat in the North End. It's not worth going to Boston without having dinner at any number of amazing Italian places. My favorite is Giacomo's. Go early or go late, because from 5:30 to 8 or so, you'll wait a half hour or more in the line down the block. There's only 12 or so tables inside, but the food is out of this world!

And don't order dessert. Save that for Mike's Pastry which is right down the street.

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

Thanks, good advice BBP! I've been studying the T-map of Boston and planning our trip around using that, just like you suggested. Now I'm thinking we will stay further out from downtown, save a few bucks on the hotel costs, and ride the train where we want to go. Now to see if the Sox are in town during those dates.....

You could drive to an MBTA station (like 128 station), park there, take the train into town...park more cheaply and still have the nice hotel experience.

I have stayed at the Marriott Copley a few times. Nice rooms, great location, and it's reasonable.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Haven't had time to sit down and think about this, but I'll put together some ideas for you in the next day or two.

What sort of food/bar experiences do you like?

Are you comfortable with mass transit (the boston subway)?

What level of hotel are we talking here (dollars per night or stars I don't care, will help me guide you)

D