[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Restaurant Bans Kids

Big Country

Kids Under 6 banned from restaurant

At McDain's Restaurant, in Monroeville, Pennsylvania, kids don't eat free. And starting next week, they don't get to eat at all. Mike Vuick, owner of the Pittsburgh area eatery has just announced a ban on children under 6 at his casual dining establishment.

After receiving noise complaints from customers about crying kids at neighboring tables, Vuick decided to institute the policy, which will go into effect July 16.

In an email to customers, Vuick explained: "We feel that McDain's is not a place for young children. Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times, they have disturbed other customers."

The owner of the "upscale, casual and quiet" restaurant explains to WTAE Local News, he's got nothing against kids in general, but their endless screams at public dinner tables are "the height of being impolite and selfish."

Last year, North Carolina's Olde Salty restaurant made a similar decision. Owner Brenda Armes posted a sign that read "Screaming children will not be tolerated", making it clear to parents when their kids scream, they'll be asked to take it outside. Armes said the move has boosted business, and Vuick is confident his ban will benefit McDain's as well.

But not everyone is on board. Some Monroeville locals are offended that they're being singled out for having young kids, and pointing fingers at noisy adults.

"If they're so concerned about noise, what do they plan to do about the loud people at the bar?" asks one local resident.

It's not illegal to ban kids from eating establishments, but some parents consider the move discriminatory, and potentially a violation of rights for certain special needs kids. What do you think: are kid-free restaurants a great idea or flat-out wrong?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More power to him.

As for these people complaining... Why worry about it, you should be so upset that he won't allow your kid in there that you shouldn't want to go there any how.

I see no problem with this. It's a private business, he can cater set up any restrictions (within reason) he wishes. I'd think there are plenty of restaurants happy to have the whole family.

As a parent, I have to say that I am amazed at how generally well-behaved my kids (4 and 1) are when we are out in public (mainly because they sure don't act like that at home), and if we're in a restaurant we do our best to keep them occupied and on a tight rein. But not all parents are so considerate, and even the best, most prepared parent can have a kid melt down on them at any time for any reason.

I see no problem with this. It's a private business, he can cater set up any restrictions (within reason) he wishes. I'd think there are plenty of restaurants happy to have the whole family.

As a parent, I have to say that I am amazed at how generally well-behaved my kids (4 and 1) are when we are out in public (mainly because they sure don't act like that at home), and if we're in a restaurant we do our best to keep them occupied and on a tight rein. But not all parents are so considerate, and even the best, most prepared parent can have a kid melt down on them at any time for any reason.

This, though generally if we are out with the kids we are going somewhere like Red Robin or Chili's that is more designed to be kid friendly and not taking them to an upscale restaurant.

So let me tell you about the winery I work at. The area outside is shaped like an L with the long leg holding our tasting areas (we do all of our tastings outside during the warmer months), our grills ( two large gas grills available for the public to use for free), and a covered area. The shorter leg is our "Family Area" where anyone under the age of 21 must stay. It is more open and kids can run and play all they want, there are plenty of picnic tables, many with umbrellas to provide shade.

95%+ of the people absolutely love this policy. It gives adults a place to do adult things and if they have someone responsible enough, they can go do their wine tastings while the kids remain under supervision and they don't have to spring for a baby sitter every time they want to come out to the winery. Yet if you look at Yelp (which I tend to despise), you will see that we are rated only three out of five stars and most of that reason is because of our "kiddie jail".

In fact, the single biggest complaint we get is about our Family Policy. Look people, you wouldn't take your kids with you to the bar, why the hell do you take them to a winery? I had one woman complain vehemently to me and then escalate to my manager because she wasn't allowed to take her 6 week old baby into the adult area. Are you F'ing nuts taking a 6 week old baby to a winery? And you're making a stink about it? I so want to stab people in the jugular with a pen some days.

Kudos to this restaurant guy with the balls to do this.

Edited by Kid Cid

This, though generally if we are out with the kids we are going somewhere like Red Robin or Chili's that is more designed to be kid friendly and not taking them to an upscale restaurant.

Very true. I'm not bringing my kids to the finest restaurant in town - though I've been surprised at some places that happily accomodate younger children.

In fact, the single biggest complaint we get is about our Family Policy. Look people, you wouldn't take your kids with you to the bar, why the hell do you take them to a winery? I had one woman complain vehemently to me and then escalate to my manager because she wasn't allowed to take her 6 week old baby into the adult area. Are you F'ing nuts taking a 6 week old baby to a winery? And you're making a stink about it? I so want to stab people in the jugular with a pen some days.

Kudos to this restaurant guy with the balls to do this.

you know, that policy sounds great to me for kids that are running around and screaming. but a baby that young is basically just going to be sleeping and being carried around. certainly not going to be creating a nuisance for other patrons. I'd probably be a bit taken aback too if I had a baby that young and someone told me they had to stay in the "kids area". :wacko:

you know, that policy sounds great to me for kids that are running around and screaming. but a baby that young is basically just going to be sleeping and being carried around. certainly not going to be creating a nuisance for other patrons. I'd probably be a bit taken aback too if I had a baby that young and someone told me they had to stay in the "kids area". :wacko:

Was going to post the same thing.

Look at it from our perspective, where do you draw the line? People will always attempt to take advantage of any given situation. If the 6 week old is Ok, them what about the 3 month or 5 month or...

The policy has to be absolute because of the Chia Pets. And I still think that the woman if off her rocker for bringing a 6 week old kid to a winery.

Restaurant owners should be allowed to choose their policy on this one. Not all children are unruly. Not all well behaved children are above a random breakdown. It's a fine policy to maintain a serene environment...... maybe something along the lines of.....

"We aspire to maintain a tranquil dining experience. Children or adults who cannot abide by this may be asked to leave."

At the club I run, any children under the age of 10 have to conform to the dress code AND pass an etiquette class with a written exam.

And we are a "family friendly" club. :wacko:

Kudos to the guy for doing this. :tup: and I have 3 kids of my won. The objective when going to a nice establishemnt is to AVOID the craziness of kids.

Look at it from our perspective, where do you draw the line? People will always attempt to take advantage of any given situation. If the 6 week old is Ok, them what about the 3 month or 5 month or...

The policy has to be absolute because of the Chia Pets.

I don't see that it does. if the kid is restrained in a carrier and quiet, that should be good enough to satisfy any reasonable person. draw the line there.

And I still think that the woman if off her rocker for bringing a 6 week old kid to a winery.

why? a one year-old, I agree. winery tour seems like a bad choice of activities. but an infant that mostly you just carry around while they sleep...I just honestly can't see what's so crazy about it.