[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

US Debt crisis

MojoMan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next bubble would be your stock retirements evaporating. Imagine the anger on the streets then. Men with corvettes and hunting badges and tin foil hats looting.

the ones with the tin foil hats wont be looting. We will be sitting back saying "I told you so".

I was on the point of transferring my entire non-cash portfolio to cash last night but backed out. I figured that the last time the market tanked, in 2008/9, I made bank over the next couple years by riding it out and being able to buy fund shares at a very low price.

This crisis is different and I have no idea just how bad the market action will be but I guess I'll be sitting on the rollercoaster a while longer yet.

I'm not liquidating, but I'm certainly more eager than ever to start pushing money that I would otherwise be putting into the market against my mortgage instead. Regardless of what happens with the value of my home, at least I'll own it and be able live there.

I'm not liquidating, but I'm certainly more eager than ever to start pushing money that I would otherwise be putting into the market against my mortgage instead. Regardless of what happens with the value of my home, at least I'll own it and be able live there.

This is an especially good idea for people who have mortgage debt of over $500,000. A component of several of the debt ceiling proposals is to eliminate the mortgage interest deduction for debt in excess of that amount.

This is an especially good idea for people who have mortgage debt of over $500,000. A component of several of the debt ceiling proposals is to eliminate the mortgage interest deduction for debt in excess of that amount.

That is not me.

You should not have your money invested in ANYTHING that you don't have immediate control over. I also maintain my long-term position of being heavy cash or cash equivalents. Have zero dollars invested long-term in stocks or bonds (munis & corporate). Even US government bonds will be too risky to hold eventually, I still think those are safe (short-term is safer) right now. Along with cash, having gold and silver on hand is smart.

The deflationary depression has been underway for a couple years now and it's finally becoming more evident to anyone who is paying attention. Deflation = rising dollar and a declining everything else basically. Once the deflationary trend becomes obvious to "Joe the plumber' (the bankers already know it and are bracing themselves), the system is going to unravel in a hurry.

My position has not changed in over 2 years and now more than ever. Riding out this debt-based money system anticipating a never-ending bull market is foolish. The jig is up and the bankers know it. Get out while you still can and realize nobody knows when the rug will be puuled - just know it will be pulled.

I almost bought a house for over $500,000 once. But then i found out Hopalong Cassidy killed himself in it- with a bow and arrow - so I passed.

You should not have your money invested in ANYTHING that you don't have immediate control over. I also maintain my long-term position of being heavy cash or cash equivalents. Have zero dollars invested long-term in stocks or bonds (munis & corporate). Even US government bonds will be too risky to hold eventually, I still think those are safe (short-term is safer) right now. Along with cash, having gold and silver on hand is smart.

The deflationary depression has been underway for a couple years now and it's finally becoming more evident to anyone who is paying attention. Deflation = rising dollar and a declining everything else basically. Once the deflationary trend becomes obvious to "Joe the plumber' (the bankers already know it and are bracing themselves), the system is going to unravel in a hurry.

My position has not changed in over 2 years and now more than ever. Riding out this debt-based money system anticipating a never-ending bull market is foolish. The jig is up and the bankers know it. Get out while you still can and realize nobody knows when the rug will be puuled - just know it will be pulled.

And when it is pulled, and Joe the Plumber investor starts selling everything, I will happily buy it up on the way down as I have 30ish years to go until retirement. The more I can buy on sale now, the better off I should be long term. Not saying I'm dumping money i can't afford into it or that I would make leveraged transactions, just that when the public does one thing, try and do the opposite.

And when it is pulled, and Joe the Plumber investor starts selling everything, I will happily buy it up on the way down as I have 30ish years to go until retirement. The more I can buy on sale now, the better off I should be long term. Not saying I'm dumping money i can't afford into it or that I would make leveraged transactions, just that when the public does one thing, try and do the opposite.

Indeed.

[Obama/Geithner] B-b-b-but our Government will fail making every single Corporation you invest in America worthless. [/Chicken Little]

Yeah, once Joe the plumber does sell, it will inevitably be the worst time to sell (i.e. the market bottom will already be in place or very close to it). However, I wouldn't be buying anything on the way down - I'd be waiting for it to tumble quite a bit before jumping in. I'm still targeting Dow 5k for ballpark price to start buying although I think a lower Dow is completely feasible. Who knows really, this market as we know it might collapse completely. I'm not ruling anything out at this point.

gold and silver can thrive even in a deflationary environment and I also just watched a video today by the YouTub'er TheWeeklyTelegram because he speaks sensibly and always makes great points.....and he was saying that while he loves gold that we are headed for a deflationary depression and I liked his point of view because it differs from my inflationary point of view but I like checking out all perspectives and could very well subscribe to the deflationary point of view even though I don't believe in holding cash - a deflationary depression suggests that "cash is king"....

maybe hold gold/silver/cash?.....I'm still not sold, but am open to variable change as none of us can completely predict exactly what will happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGlcVnrnxps&feature=feedu

check it out...

gold and silver can thrive even in a deflationary environment and I also just watched a video today by the YouTub'er TheWeeklyTelegram because he speaks sensibly and always makes great points.....and he was saying that while he loves gold that we are headed for a deflationary depression and I liked his point of view because it differs from my inflationary point of view but I like checking out all perspectives and could very well subscribe to the deflationary point of view even though I don't believe in holding cash - a deflationary depression suggests that "cash is king"....

maybe hold gold/silver/cash?.....I'm still not sold, but am open to variable change as none of us can completely predict exactly what will happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGlcVnrnxps&feature=feedu

check it out...

About the only thing you and I have disagreed on is whether it's inflation or deflation that is the result of the Fed's terrible policies over the past decades. I'm glad to see you're more willing to accept deflation as the probable outcome. Quite frankly, there are too many symptoms to not see deflation as the only real outcome and I'm surprised it's still the contrarian view. Anything that is bad for the banks = deflation, essentially. Let's look at what's going on right now in the world financial system:

The Fed is losing credibility and facing resistance from all directions. The Fed is also getting more conservative in their holdings. All of these are deflationary symptoms.

The housing market still hasn't bottomed while trying to resolve the HUGH foreclosure mess. Falling housing prices are deflationary since most bank loans are supported by property in the form of collateral. Lower housing prices are bad for banks and also deflationary.

What about all the private insurance companies that have insured all of those about-to-foreclose homes?

The next domino likely to topple is the so-called private-mortgage-insurance industry, which permits buyers to purchase homes without making a full 20% down payment.

Private mortgage insurance covers the first 25% of a mortgage’s value against default, plus accrued

interest. But the three big monoline insurers—MGIC, Radian and PMI, which comprise 60% of the

industry, according to research outfit Inside Mortgage—appear woefully undercapitalized to meet

the claims that loom over the next couple of years. In fact, there's a distinct possibility that the coming avalanche could more than wipe out the three companies' shareholder equity.

Barron's - 06/25

The European debt crisis is just beginning and will have a major impact in the US. Not only are entire countries on the verge of default, along with the largest of banks like the Bank of Ireland Plc, there's also this:

Half

the assets in U.S. prime money market funds were invested in European banks as of the end of

May….The Treasury is even saying privately that the U.S. needs to support the European bailout of

Greece lest European banks fail, U.S. funds take big losses, and we get another flight from money

funds.

WSJ - 06/27