[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anybody care about the mass starvation going on in the Horn of Africa right now?

wiegie

I think this sums it up:

Governments worldwide and the U.N. have faced criticism for their slow response to the severe drought but they face severe problems getting aid to a region in the grip of a raging conflict across much of southern Somalia.

Years of anarchic conflict in southern Somalia have exacerbated the emergency, preventing aid agencies from helping communities in the area. Nearly 135,000 Somalis have fled since January, mainly to neighboring Kenya and Ethiopia.

The WFP has said it cannot reach more than 2 million Somalis facing starvation in areas controlled by Islamist militants, who imposed a food aid ban in 2010 and have regularly threatened relief groups.

So typical of many 3d world countries and areas in such desperate need, ie gov'ts and assorted POFSs who won't let help in and/or siphon it off for other causes - then those trying to help get criticized. Brilliant. IMO there's a special place in hell for them.

Edited by BeeR

It's absolutely heart wrenching and one thing that I simply choose to largely ignore because of the physiological impact it has on me. I cannot take the images of starving children (or any child suffering) and it does give me nightmares. We donate to programs through the Church to help out in those regions but that is about it. As horrendous and deplorable as this is I prefer to focus more on the home front with donations and the such but, still, we do donate towards this issue.

Compassion fatigue sets in when the same issue arises over and over and over again, regardless of what the west does. Sooner or later, totally intractable problems get put on the back burner in favor of problems that are less daunting, which is pretty much everything else.

With the right of self-determination and the end of colonialism, however benevolent, comes the need to look after oneself. Until Africa gets off it's collective ass and stops inflicting wounds to itself, they are doomed to repeat these events.

Its tragic, but there is nothing *we* can do to fix the problem. All we can do is shovel money at temporarily blunting the symptoms, knowing that for everyone dollar we commit less than a dollar's worth of food will actually end up in a hungry belly.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of kids right here in the US who don't know where their next meal is coming form. They get first dibs on my charity.

Its tragic, but there is nothing *we* can do to fix the problem. All we can do is shovel money at temporarily blunting the symptoms, knowing that for everyone dollar we commit less than a dollar's worth of food will actually end up in a hungry belly.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of kids right here in the US who don't know where their next meal is coming form. They get first dibs on my charity.

I wish we would all begin to view things like this. I really do get miffed when I hear about church gorups doing mission tours to Guatamala, Haiti, Mexico, etc... when much of this money could be spent here at home improving the lives of neighbors who are in dire circumstances. For instance, many of these churches were still allocating dollars in central America when those resources could have been used in the Gulf, post Katrina.

I really do abstain from making charitable contributions to organizations that are global in their reach. I want my money to stay home and impact americans. I don't want it to go over seas where the seemingly continue to perpetuate more problems when they receive charitable monies.

Local church gives away $7,000 in free......gas.

This happened on Saturday and I thought the Church could help the community (or world) in better ways than giving away $7k in free gas. It must be one of those churches where the pastor drives a Caddy. :oldrolleyes:

As for Africa, unless we're going in armed a week before we go in with the food, it's not going to help. Unfortunalely.

This happened on Saturday and I thought the Church could help the community (or world) in better ways than giving away $7k in free gas.

Just become a Pastor and then you can start making all of the correct decisions. :wacko:

:wacko:

I wish we would all begin to view things like this. I really do get miffed when I hear about church gorups doing mission tours to Guatamala, Haiti, Mexico, etc... when much of this money could be spent here at home improving the lives of neighbors who are in dire circumstances. For instance, many of these churches were still allocating dollars in central America when those resources could have been used in the Gulf, post Katrina.

I really do abstain from making charitable contributions to organizations that are global in their reach. I want my money to stay home and impact americans. I don't want it to go over seas where the seemingly continue to perpetuate more problems when they receive charitable monies.

I wish the govt saw things this way. Unfortunately, they send our money overseas too.

I wish the govt saw things this way. Unfortunately, they send our money overseas too.

[Pakistan, Israel, China] That's so they'll be our friends. [/Pakistan, Israel, China until the money stops]

This happened on Saturday and I thought the Church could help the community (or world) in better ways than giving away $7k in free gas. It must be one of those churches where the pastor drives a Caddy. :oldrolleyes:

Yeah but it's an old Caddy.

I'm not getting "an American life is worth more than a foreigner's life," esp when IMO more than a few of the people homeless, hungry etc in this country brought it on themselves largely if not entirely, certainly on avg far more than those in most other places. Granted seeing part of donations going to some corrupt gov't elsewhere isn't exactly a great choice either.....

+1