[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Origins of sayings

whomper

I read the other day that when patrons would get rowdy in the old english pubs the bartenders would yell "Mind your pints and quarts " - Hence the term mind your P's and Q's. There was also a printing press explanation for mind your Ps and Qs as well but I thought the bar one was interesting.

Anyone else have the origin of some every day saying we may use ?

Fairly well known but the phrase "Rule of Thumb" actually comes from a ruling in England in the 1700s that allowed a man to beat his wife with a stick as long as it was no thicker than his thumb. Pretty dark.

Also, the phrase "taken with a grain of salt" actually comes from an ancient text describing an antidote for poison being taken while fasting with a grain of salt. Therefore, the grain of salt is meant to allow you to take things easier, or in the case of the phrase, less serious.

Bury the hatchet

When Indian Chiefs came to a peace agreement they would bury hatchets to signify putting the hatchet that would have been used as a weapon deep into the earth

Give 'em the whole nine yards...

Supposedly in WWII, fighter plane's ammunition belts were in 9-yard sections... so givin' them the whole nine yards would mean give 'em everything you got.

Edited by darin3

My ancesters are of Lebanese decent. The story that is told around our table is that Uncle Aheb was traveling across the desert (on a camel of cousre) and his many wifes were riding with him. They became very thirsty so decided to stop at the 7-11 next to the large Cactus. He went through the drive in and got a Super Big Gulp. However, he did not get a straw and asked the store attendant to hand him one. That was the "The Straw That Broke The Camels Back."

My ancesters are of Lebanese decent.

I first I wondered how you could be from lesbian decent :wacko:

Origins of Saying:

By and large

Meaning

On the whole; generally speaking; all things considered.

Origin

Many phrases are wrongly ascribed a nautical origin just because they sound like mariner's lingo. This one really is and, like many such nautical phrases, it originated in the days of sail.

To get a sense of the original meaning of the phrase we need to understand the nautical terms 'by' and 'large'. 'Large' is easier, so we'll start there. When the wind is blowing from some compass point behind a ship's direction of travel then it is said to be 'large'. Sailors have used this term for centuries. For example, this piece from Richard Hakluyt's The Principall Navigations, Voiages, and Discoveries of the English Nation, 1591:

"When the wind came larger we waied anchor and set saile."

When the wind is in that favourable large direction the largest square sails may be set and the ship is able to travel in whatever downwind direction the captain sees fit.

'By' is a rather more difficult concept for landlubbers like me. In simplified terms it means 'in the general direction of'. Sailors would say to be 'by the wind' is to face into the wind or within six compass points of it.

The earliest known reference to 'by and large' in print is from Samuel Sturmy, in The Mariners Magazine, 1669:

"Thus you see the ship handled in fair weather and foul, by and learge."

by and largeTo sail 'by and large' required the ability to sail not only as earlier square-rigged ships could do, i.e. downwind, but also against the wind. At first sight, and for many non-sailors I'm sure second and third sight too, it seems impossible that a sailing ship could progress against the wind. They can though. The physics behind this is better left to others. Suffice it to say that it involves the use of triangular sails which act like aeroplane wings and provide a force which drags the ship sideways against the wind. By the use of this and by careful angling of the rudder the ship can make progress towards the wind.

The 19th century windjammers like Cutty Sark were able to maintain progress 'by and large' even in bad wind conditions by the use of many such aerodynamic triangular sails and large crews of able seamen.

*No poop, midgets or weird fetishes were mentioned in this post

I hear people say with good intentions "not if I see you first" which is actually a slam.

People also throw the term "japped" around a bit. It seems fairly racist now. People who would never say "n" rigged or similar.

I hear people say with good intentions "not if I see you first" which is actually a slam.

People also throw the term "japped" around a bit. It seems fairly racist now. People who would never say "n" rigged or similar.

Like Bill Parcells?

In a similar vain, the word "gypped"... as in getting screwed out of money, etc. It's akin to saying getting "Jewed". Jews and gypsies were similarly persecuted by the Nazis and thus grouped together. At least that's what I've heard. I've never Googled it. :wacko:

if this is true, i was close...

Edited by darin3

I believe "Balls to the Wall" is in reference to a steam engine being at maximum power and some internal parts being against the engine wall.

It is an old saying from the dirkschneider era

S.H.I.T

Ship High In Transit

Stamped on crates of manure in the late 19th century when it was discovered shipping manure below decks caused severe sickness and even death when methane gas had no where to go.

I think a snopes search will disprove this