[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bye week strategy when drafting

arnoldg3

Many people do not account for bye week conflicts when drafting. Some even suggest to have many players on same bye week, basically assuring a loss that week, but being stronger all other weeks..How do you feel about having backup quarterback sharing same bye week as starter, and backup tight end sharing same bye week as starter? Especially when both players are ranked very closely. You may be aquiring a strong duo who can be used based on matchups, week to week, and provide a strong replacement if the other is injured. Do you feel that this outweighs the downside of having to drop an excellent running back 5 or receiver 5 to fill that spot during their bye week? By the end of the year, through aggressive free agency acquisitions, these #5 players may be excellent starts due to injuries, bye weeks, or favorable matchups. Any thoughts?

Don't overthink it. Not until after round 6 at least - and even then value > bye week coverage. The risk of an injury to your backup is just as likely as to your starter, and you'll cross that bridge when you come to it. With backup QB though you've GOT to have a different bye week. On the other hand, TEs are more prone to injury, so that overlap wouldn't concern me as much - especially since your backup TE is more about overall value as opposed to bye week filler. At least in my experience.

Edited by overworkedirish

I'll worry about bye weeks after the draft and look through my roster.

I draft what players are best for my team and will help me win no matter what there bye weeks are.

You will usually have dead weight you can cut if need be to make a roster move if you have to.

I try to make sure my backups don't have the same bye weeks as my projected starters, but other than that, I try not to overthink it. I'll work the waiver wire for my bye-week fillers if I have to, especially at WR.

This year will sort of be new territory for everyone. With FOUR weeks of 6 teams on a bye, waiver wire work to cover byes will be heavier and slim pickins. Not impossible, but trickier. I think you will see many more teams with their top two RBs or WRs (or some combination) on a bye at the same time in those four weeks. And you'll have to dig a little deeper for a fill-in QB, TE, PK or Def.

Edited by SteelBunz

This year will sort of be new territory for everyone. With FOUR weeks of 6 teams on a bye, waiver wire work to cover byes will be heavier and slim pickins. Not impossible, but trickier. I think you will see many more teams with their top two RBs or WRs (or some combination) on a bye at the same time in those four weeks. And you'll have to dig a little deeper for a fill-in QB, TE, PK or Def.

This will be big "slap in the face" surprise this year when you start getting the the second half of the draft and start realizing how many guys are off the same week.. I have seen a guy take the hit on a bye week and actually win because the fantasy moons lined up but I will make sure that TWO bye weeks dont get me

Why would you draft two QBs, TEs, PKs or DFs with the same bye week?

Presumably you waited until late in the draft and are getting two middle tier type guys ... which sounds like a match up headache to me. How will you feel about guessing wrong on the matchups?

I much prefer to draft my starting QB, TE and PK and roll with them the whole year, using a 1 week fill in for their bye weeks. Unless, of course, injuries or performance dictate otherwise.

Why would you draft two QBs, TEs, PKs or DFs with the same bye week?

Presumably you waited until late in the draft and are getting two middle tier type guys ... which sounds like a match up headache to me. How will you feel about guessing wrong on the matchups?

I much prefer to draft my starting QB, TE and PK and roll with them the whole year, using a 1 week fill in for their bye weeks. Unless, of course, injuries or performance dictate otherwise.

This

And I will add DST to that as well. The only time you will ever see more than one K or DST on my roster is to cover a BYE. Otherwise, I have one of each and they are in every week.

And backup QB should NOT have the same BYE week as the starter (to answer the OP).

And backup QB should NOT have the same BYE week as the starter (to answer the OP).

It's that simple.... If u have a 3rd tier QB backing up ur 1st or 2nd tier QB, barring injury, you only plan on starting ur 3rd tier QB on the bye week of ur starter...

It's that simple.... If u have a 3rd tier QB backing up ur 1st or 2nd tier QB, barring injury, you only plan on starting ur 3rd tier QB on the bye week of ur starter...

If I have a Tier 1 QB and I know I'll only be starting my backup during that one week, I'll look for a backup with a good matchup that one week if I can find one.

I agree, QB is the only thing I pay a lot of attention to when accounting for byes.

And stop drafting backup kickers and defenses people. :wacko:

I don't even look at byes. If you believe predicting how well your team will play out in 8 weeks with enough resolution to account for the the other 15, I commend you, but it's impossible IMO. Drafting QB's with the same bye may seem like an oversight, but by week 8 you can have a few weeks ahead of time to pick up someone who can get you points. I just pick the best players and deal with whatever the season dictates.

How true. I unfortunately have 4 of 5 WR's on the same BYE week in week 5 :wacko: . I did not pay attention to the BYE week when I took them because their value was too good to pass up when I took them. I am in panic mode looking at one starting WR (we use 3) in week 5 but by week 5 I believe that my roster may look different than it does right now.