[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Self-serve checkout machines

BeeR

43 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Prefer the self-serve machines
    • Prefer cashiers
    • Pretty neutral/other (desc)

voted prefer cashier. but if i have less than 10 items and the people in front of me look like it might take them a little longer (many items, using a check, or lots of coupons, etc) i'll shoot over the self checkout machines as quickly as i can (if there is less of a wait). i like having both options available.

Used to hate them. But since my local full serve grocery store was closed and a new self serve store has moved in I've warmed up tp self-serve checkout machines and beginning to use them more and more. Chose the neutral option.

btw, i've never used a bank atm in my life, don't know if I ever will.

Edited by slambo

voted prefer cashier. but if i have less than 10 items and the people in front of me look like it might take them a little longer (many items, using a check, or lots of coupons, etc) i'll shoot over the self checkout machines as quickly as i can (if there is less of a wait). i like having both options available.

yep...but I'll add produce that needs weighing

I'm with Bier on this one. Depends. If I have less than 10 items or so and am alone without the kids, I'll take the self-serve machine every time. If I'm on a full-on grocery shopping trip, then I'll go with the human checker every time.

Edited by Trojanmojo

I'm with Bier on this one. Depends. If I have less than 10 items or so and am alone without the kids, I'll take the self-serve machine every time. If I'm on a full-on grocery shopping trip, then I'll go with the human checker every time.

I don;t want to do it for a full on grocery trip, but with a smaller shop I'll do it with the kids.... they enjoy scanning the items

There's a Wal-Mart a couple blocks from me that has them. I use them about 75% of the time when I have a handful of items. Same for when I go to Home Depot--I'll use them more often than not. However, at Home Depot, the machines are trumped by a cute checkout girl any day of the week! :wacko:

There's a Wal-Mart a couple blocks from me that has them. I use them about 75% of the time when I have a handful of items. Same for when I go to Home Depot--I'll use them more often than not. However, at Home Depot, the machines are trumped by a cute checkout girl any day of the week! :wacko:

Clearly you don't live in Virginia.

I don't really get the "only use them when I have a few items" responses. Why is using them with more items not preferred? If it's quicker to use with a few items, it'll be even quicker with many.

I don't really get the "only use them when I have a few items" responses. Why is using them with more items not preferred? If it's quicker to use with a few items, it'll be even quicker with many.

opportunity for error and having to call someone over to fix it increases. a few items are quicker to scan and go. with a larger load, it is going to take longer to ring up anyway so might as well unload on the belt and let someone else ring it in.

Used to hate them. But since my local full serve grocery store was closed and a new self serve store has moved in I've warmed up tp self-serve checkout machines and beginning to use them more and more. Chose the neutral option.

btw, i've never used a bank atm in my life, don't know if I ever will.

+1. My bank has hot cashiers.

opportunity for error and having to call someone over to fix it increases. a few items are quicker to scan and go. with a larger load, it is going to take longer to ring up anyway so might as well unload on the belt and let someone else ring it in.

OK thx. I guess I'm lucky that they do them right here ie there is always someone right there as the sort of station monitor for those machines - you never (or very rarely) ever have to "call someone over."

OK thx. I guess I'm lucky that they do them right here ie there is always someone right there as the sort of station monitor for those machines - you never (or very rarely) ever have to "call someone over."

so you hit the self checkout machines with 20+ items and have no problems? that is impressive. on the few occasions I've tried i have experienced:

- scanner did not read a upc

- then double scanned it

- didn't read the coupon

- have to look up codes for produce

- wrong change

- machine froze

- issues with weight on loading area

- generally takes longer to unload cart, scan, and bag than vs register (more people working on it- assembly line so to speak)

Because it's probably slower per item to do it yourself than to have the clerk take care of it. So, with a big cart, it makes sense to just wait in line with all the other people buying a ton of crap.

However, the fact that there's almost never a line and, if there is one, it feeds four or more machines and virtually everyone going through self-check also has just a handful of things, it is ultimately faster.

Story: I once ran to Lowes early one Saturday to pick up a few items to finish a project. I grabbed 10-15 items and went to check out. There were no love cashiers, only self check-out kiosks. Ever trying scanning 12' sections of trim on on of those stationary scanners? :wacko: I asked for assistance and was told there would be no cashiers for another hour and a a half when business traffic patterns dictated their use. I left my cart and they lost a $200+ sale.

Home Depot had all my stuff AND a live body at check-out.

If I'm not going to save money, I don't want to check myself out or bag my purchases.

I do think WinCo has the winning combo - they check, I bag and save money.

Story: I once ran to Lowes early one Saturday to pick up a few items to finish a project. I grabbed 10-15 items and went to check out. There were no love cashiers, only self check-out kiosks. Ever trying scanning 12' sections of trim on on of those stationary scanners? :wacko: I asked for assistance and was told there would be no cashiers for another hour and a a half when business traffic patterns dictated their use. I left my cart and they lost a $200+ sale.

If I'm not going to save money, I don't want to check myself out or bag my purchases.

I thought for items like that they put the bar code on a sticker that you can remove and scan. Was this not the case?

screw scanning my own items, I get pissed when I do not have a bagger.

this

and this...either pay me to do the job they should be doing or give me a discount

How could it be that there wasn't a Manager or someone else there that was able to assist a customer asking for help? Even the person who answered your question should have been trained on how to ring you up. Pathetic excuse for Customer Service. Glad you bailed on them.