[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gotta give props to the Cincinnati Bengals

Menudo

Many, including myself were expecting the Bengals to cruise to the #1 pick in the draft. I saw some predict that they wouldn't even win a game. I think I had them winning one or two in my predictions. What they have done is pretty damn impressive. I expected A.J. Green to be the real deal, and I'm thrilled that I drafted him in my keeper league. I did not expect Dalton to be as good as he has been. Also, there defense has been very solid. They got rid of the drama that was T.O. & Ocho, and they stood their ground against Carson Palmer. They have already won more games than most picked them to win all season. Very impressive considering the youth that they have.

Yeah, no doubt. And gawd knows I don't want to do this, but I gotta give Mike Brown credit for sticking to his guns on Palmer.

Sure he stuck to his guns and they are having a better season than expected but just think of what they might have been able to get in a trade to further help this team.

Sure he stuck to his guns and they are having a better season than expected but just think of what they might have been able to get in a trade to further help this team.

You have a good point, but, I do think it would have set a bad precedent around the league. I'm glad he stood his ground.

Maybe, but what can you seriously get from Carson Palmer at this stage of his career. Maybe a 4th?

For that I'd rather prove a point with the guy.

You have a good point, but, I do think it would have set a bad precedent around the league. I'm glad he stood his ground.

Yes, because team's always honor their contracts to players, right?

If you were wasting your career for a team that was showing no signs of improving whatsoever, would you really feel obligated to play for the same owner who would cut your ass if they decide you're not worth your contract anymore?

The loyalty factor is way overstated. It's a business for them, and they're only loyal to you if you're playing up to your contract, even if it's not your fault. He had every right to use what little leverage he had to get out of that dysfunctional organization (which is where the ownership/management deserved 100% of the blame).

Agreed the Bengals are doing much better , but we'll see very soon the true color of this organization. If Brown stands in the way yet again. Dalton is the future and there is no need to prove anymore to Palmer , let him go now , while there is something they can gain. If Oakland wants Palmer , the Bengals must make a deal for future picks, if not , then it's another disservice to the fans.

Yes, because team's always honor their contracts to players, right?

Yes, they do. They pay out any agreed-upon guaranteed money, and they write the checks due to them every game they are on the roster. What else is to be expected?

Oh, and if they are ever going to move Palmer, it should be right now - a franchise reeling from the death of their owner, known for overpaying to get what they want, in the midst of a competitive season where they look to be making a move to legitimacy - Mike Brown shouldn't be calling Oakland, he should be getting on a freaking plane and going out there to get it done. Take Carson with you in the cargo hold if you must.

Yes, they do. They pay out any agreed-upon guaranteed money, and they write the checks due to them every game they are on the roster. What else is to be expected?

Ummm, no they don't... They guarantee a portion of it, but if/when they decide that maybe they're paying you too much, then they can and will cut you, ending your contract with them.

How is that different than Palmer passing on the non-guaranteed portion? Much like teams can decide to part ways with a player who's underperforming his contract, Palmer decided to part ways with an organization that is underperforming their goal to win ball games.

Ummm, no they don't... They guarantee a portion of it, but if/when they decide that maybe they're paying you too much, then they can and will cut you, ending your contract with them.

I didn't say they guarantee it all, I said they pay all of what they guarantee. That's the only obligation they have, and that's the nature of non-guaranteed terms.

How is that different than Palmer passing on the non-guaranteed portion? Much like teams can decide to part ways with a player who's underperforming his contract, Palmer decided to part ways with an organization that is underperforming their goal to win ball games.

It's not. He has every right to not play, I didn't state otherwise.

I didn't say they guarantee it all, I said they pay all of what they guarantee. That's the only obligation they have, and that's the nature of non-guaranteed terms.

It's not. He has every right to not play, I didn't state otherwise.

I didn't say you stated otherwise, but I don't understand why you disagree with what I said... I said that teams do not always honor their contracts (which I guess I should have said aside from the guaranteed part), so Palmer should feel no obligation to either if he no longer wants to be in that organization... If we agree on that, then we're really just nitpicking...

I'm not so sure what a bad precedent this would be setting. People say that you won't get market value because everyone knows your hand is being forced. But is that actually true?

I would think that Palmer's trade value is absolutely determined by his advancing age, his recent health issues, and his high salary. If he were younger and/or cheaper, there'd be plenty of suitors. Just because Cinci is over a barrel on this, doesn't mean other teams wouldn't be competing with each other for his services. And, thus, driving the price up as high as it would be if Palmer wasn't holding out.

Heck, Kolb asked to be traded, got traded, and Philly got great value for him. How did Phily get hosed on that?

Cinci could have gotten a really nice package for Ocho and didn't out of spite. How is that smart.

I'm not taking sides or saying Cinci owes it to Palmer to move him. And I agree that the return price might be low enough that it's not such a bad time to be dick about it on purpose. But I don't quite see the concern that people have with trading a player who wants to be traded.

Here's what I don't get. Why doesn't Palmer call Brown's bluff right back? Why not report now and make them pay you millions to sit on the bench? I mean, they're certainly going with Dalton the rest of the way. Or at least I would guess they are. And, as a bonus, you're one year closer to finishing your contract.

If Brown is as cheap as people say he is, you'd think that would get him to trade him. Why does he want to have a guy on the bench making that much money?

I said that teams do not always honor their contracts (which I guess I should have said aside from the guaranteed part), so Palmer should feel no obligation to either if he no longer wants to be in that organization... If we agree on that, then we're really just nitpicking...

Yes, I'm saying Palmer has every right to not report, but not because the teams don't honor their contracts.

(A) As long as he's willing to accept the consequences of not showing up (loss of pay, possible breach litigation, loss of credibility/faith, etc) he can choose to show up or not as he pleases.

(:wacko: Teams DO honor their obligations. They pay the guaranteed portion of the contract, and that's the only obligation they have. The rest is about whether or not the performance matches the pay.

Yes, I'm saying Palmer has every right to not report, but not because the teams don't honor their contracts.

(A) As long as he's willing to accept the consequences of not showing up (loss of pay, possible breach litigation, loss of credibility/faith, etc) he can choose to show up or not as he pleases.

(:wacko: Teams DO honor their obligations. They pay the guaranteed portion of the contract, and that's the only obligation they have. The rest is about whether or not the performance matches the pay.

Before we get into arguing semantics, you and I obviously agree on this... That point was in response to it setting a bad "precedent", which I disagree with, because the precedent has already been set by the teams that they can opt out of the non-guaranteed portion of the contract at any time. No need to read anymore into it than that.

Again, my response is only to those who feel that Palmer has wronged the Bengals.

(ETA: Though I don't think Brown is in the wrong either for not trading him. I just think it's being stupid and stubborn)

Edited by delusions of granduer

Many, including myself were expecting the Bengals to cruise to the #1 pick in the draft. I saw some predict that they wouldn't even win a game. I think I had them winning one or two in my predictions. What they have done is pretty damn impressive. I expected A.J. Green to be the real deal, and I'm thrilled that I drafted him in my keeper league. I did not expect Dalton to be as good as he has been. Also, there defense has been very solid. They got rid of the drama that was T.O. & Ocho, and they stood their ground against Carson Palmer. They have already won more games than most picked them to win all season. Very impressive considering the youth that they have.

don't forget bratkowski ... he was the biggest one to get outta there. i can't tell you how refreshing it is to see an offense and a quarterback that is actually able to adapt to its surroundings. so far gruden has been a hugh addition.

with zimmer guiding the D, all we need is the offense to take care of the ball and take advantage of mistakes. dalton has been great at this, plus a bit more.

as far as mr. palmer, good riddance.

don't forget bratkowski ... he was the biggest one to get outta there. i can't tell you how refreshing it is to see an offense and a quarterback that is actually able to adapt to its surroundings. so far gruden has been a hugh addition.

with zimmer guiding the D, all we need is the offense to take care of the ball and take advantage of mistakes. dalton has been great at this, plus a bit more.

as far as mr. palmer, good riddance.

Agree big time on Brat getting out of there. Not 100% sure Gruden will work out long term yet, but they had to get a fresh offense in there.

I was not in favor of drafting Green instead of taking the draft pick package the Falcons offered, but it sure seems to be working out.