[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What a heroic battle

bushwacked

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh now this makes more sense. First ladies have to have a "pet project" yknow.

I don't get fed govt involved here either, really. fn waste of their time/money. Let states handle it.

I think helping fat children is an admirable and appropriate project for a First Lady. Fixing health care, a la Hillary, not so much.

This issue should have been handled in Congress in a matter of minutes, not turned into a pissing match.

We need term limits and a couple new political parties to compete with the rubbish we have now. I am ready to go protest......oh, wait, I have to work!

Damn!

Where did you go that didn't have a kitchen? Never heard that. Although I knew some of the Millard schools did have a T Bell or something option in the cafeteria.

Pius X in Lincoln. We had a large "commons" area in the basement with a section in the middle where they would serve the food brought in and had vending machines and microwaves, but no kitchen anywhere in the building.

ETA: I went to the US Heart, Lung and Blood Assn. and I'm not obese, just overweight :wacko: Holy crap though, to be middle of the 'normal weight' at 6' 2 " I would have to weigh 170 lbs. :tup: I would be skin and bones.

You should completely ignore those tables and charts. They are there to prove an "epidemic" where only a problem exists (clearly a significant number of people are overweight but there is absolutely no chance of most people making the weight those charts have for varying heights). It is a classic tactic of the medical profession to talk up any health issue as much as possible, usually for funding reasons.

It is a classic tactic of the medical profession to talk up any health issue as much as possible, usually for funding reasons.

or in this case, a classic tactic of the political class. it's an epidemic! we must take action and spend hundreds of millions of dollars telling people how to live their lives!

Talking Points Memo takes a less metaphysical tack, and discovers to its outrage that (1) lobbyists for Big Pizza spent more than $5 million lobbying Congress to maintain the status quo, and (2) the reclassification of pizza as a non-vegetable might have helped lower the child obesity rate, which is alarmingly high.

When a democratic government begins making laws that harm particular business sectors, they hire lobbyists. If TPM thinks it has solved the problem of faction, it should reveal the solution before skipping right to complaining about its redundancy and assuming we’ve all made the same brilliant political discovery they have.

Otherwise, if they’re upset that the problems of faction have infected school lunch lines, they should remember that the only way to get the K Street money out would be to relinquish Congress’s micromanagement of what children eat for lunch.

And that brings us to the second point. TPM can’t believe that even though “the CDC estimates about 17 percent — or 12.5 million — of children between the ages of 2 and 19 are obese,” Congress is allowing public schools to continue passing off two tablespoons of salty pizza sauce as a vegetable.

But the 17 percent childhood obesity rate is not actually a result of Congressional action. Michelle Obama’s recent healthy eating campaigns admit as much — they’re aimed at parents.

Laws always have an effect on the character of citizenry — a fact which the left usually chooses to ignore — and much less frequently on its health. In the case of school lunches, it’s easy to trace the government take-over of lunchtime through parental disregard of nutrition to 17 percent childhood obesity.

If you teach parents that their children’s health is not their responsibility, they’ll stop worrying about it, but when your federal bureaucracy can’t keep their 74 million children healthy, you shouldn’t blame Domino’s and Papa John’s.

adapted from a post I made on another forum.

here is the menu for my four year old in his public school in france.

monday

carrot, cabbage, corn, pepper salad w vinaigrette

sauté d'agneau (lamb) w a paprika sauce

white beans

port salut cheese

chocolate mousse

orange and a cookie for snacktime

tuesday

beet salad

comté and beaufort tart

salad

plain yoghurt w sugar

bannana aplle compote

croissant snacktime

wednesday

leek soup

veal in cream sauce

carrots and potatos

flavoured petit suisse

kiwi

baguette and a chocolat bar w apple juice snack time

thursday

hard boiled egg w mayonaise

fish filet w lemon sauce

spinach in bechamel sauce

rice and veggies

pont l eveque cheese

prunes in syrup

pain d'epice and clementines for snacktime

friday

tomato salad

turkey roast au jus

cauliflower gratin

pilaf wheat

fromage blanc w sugar

apple pie

banana and milk for snacktime.

I do beleive that sitting children down to meals that are somewhat challenging is a good way to encourage healthy eating, which is in my opinion part of a child's education (my son went from being a picky eater to eating sushi, snails, and every stinky cheese you can imagine (on average they eat three different types of cheeses every week)) and certainly having everyone eat the same slop helps get rid of pickiness for those who beleive that school is strictly a learning place in the classrooms and want the government out of every other aspect of their children's lives (such as lunchtime) lunch, as has been pointed out, does affect classroom behaviour. Do you object to sports in school? They obvioulsy have nothing to do w learning, but clearly most people in the US would include that as part of their kids' education.

I don't know what public school lunches are like in the US, but if they are that terrible....you get what you pay for. Since we are in an era where no one wants to pay taxes, one shouldn' be surprised to not get anything in return (in general the US is fairly consistent: people don't want to pay taxes, and don't expect much in return, in france everyone expects the state to do everything, but no one wants to pay taxes. But that's a debate for another day)

I hate the fact that 'personal responsibility' is often code for 'i've got mine, you can stuff it'. Small children do not have a concept of personal responsibility. To punish them for it is sick in my opinion. I know that conceptually some of you tea partiests probably beleive their should be no public schools, but since we as a society do beleive in public education, why not make it as good as possible. Having decent, healthy lunches seems such a no-brainer tp me to be part of that education, but I guess we do not see eye to eye on this issue.

I think helping fat children is an admirable and appropriate project for a First Lady.

I don't think taking a state-level issue and trying to turn it into a federal one is appropriate. Also I don't think trying to stong-arm schools into only providing "healthy" meals will do much if anything to curb fatties.

I don't think taking a state-level issue and trying to turn it into a federal one is appropriate.

Public education is typically funded by ton of resources..local,city, county, state, and obviously federal. Their is only one agency that oversees the whole gamet.

You people think there is an inevitable horror of Obama's wife promoting healthy food for public lunches.

Pretty sure I summarized it.

or in this case, a classic tactic of the political class. it's an epidemic! we must take action and spend hundreds of millions of dollars telling people how to live their lives!

:tup:

It's not yello cake uranium but there will be about 1.2 million new cases of diabetes diagnosed next year. Interesting freedoms the right holds dear - the right to turn you kid into a diabetic and the right to not provide that diabetic kid with insurance.

:wacko:

You should completely ignore those tables and charts. They are there to prove an "epidemic" where only a problem exists (clearly a significant number of people are overweight but there is absolutely no chance of most people making the weight those charts have for varying heights). It is a classic tactic of the medical profession to talk up any health issue as much as possible, usually for funding reasons.

Right. I was at the doctor a few weeks back - my BMI qualifies me as "obese"; the doctor, when I was asking if I should come in yearly, every 6 mos, or what, said "someone in as excellent health as you only needs to come in every 3-4 yrs for a checkup." No mention of BMI or weight.

Right. I was at the doctor a few weeks back - my BMI qualifies me as "obese"; the doctor, when I was asking if I should come in yearly, every 6 mos, or what, said "someone in as excellent health as you only needs to come in every 3-4 yrs for a checkup." No mention of BMI or weight.

Maybe your doctor doesn't like you.

There are programs for free or reduced-cost lunches for low-income families.

and these need to stay. My kids have some friends that probably wouldn't eat lunch (my opinion based on knowing their parents) if it weren't for the school. Sorry to hijack, but even if those kids choose the crappy choice it is probably the best meal they will get in any given day.