[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Going to New Orleans on Thursday - Sunday

paulzale

Went to Milwaukee earlier this year and your guys' input was invaluable. I did a search and didn't find anything recently that pertained to New Orleans.

My wife and I are going for a little weekend getaway before her conference starts on Monday. We get in at noon on Thursday and I leave Sunday morning, staying at the Hilton on St. Charles Ave. I have done a little search on trip advisor and came up with the following possible to do's:

- Ride the St. Charles Street Car

- New Orleans Original Cocktail tour (not sure this is worth $30/ea. + drinks, but gets great reviews)

- Massages at Spa Atlantis (wise cracks accepted)

- Rum Distillery (Not sure about this either)

Anything else to entertain, we don't want to be too busy across the 3 days together, but 1 thing to do per day that takes 1-3 hours is good.

Food choices are up in the air. Any must go places, my wife is a fairly plain eater, loves steak and potatoes, while I am more adventurous, so we need a menu that can accommodate both of us.

Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Find Slayer

2. Cafe DuMonde

3. Haunted History tours there are several groups that do these, I'd ask the hotel about one for a discount

I enjoyed Brennan's steak house last time I was there and tehy had a nice selection of standards and local stuff. Had great breakfast at a little joint Slayer frequents. Best grits I've ever had, can't remember the name of the place.

i haven't been in a while, but if i were going i would:

- hit a john besh restaurant Yup

- hit a brennan's restaurant Yup

- cafe dumonde I guess for tourists. There is a quiet little bakery type breakfast joint with an awesome courtyard. Very low key.

- french quarter Add in a morning carriage ride with the wife and you will also learn a bit about what you are seeing.

- garden district Sevaral guided tours. Check with your hotel.

- domelise's for po boys IMHO this place was and still is over rated. Is very popular.

- i liked the aquarium The Aquarium/IMAX/Riverboat to the Zoo package is worth the price.

- riverboats

I added my thoughts to what Bier has layed out. There is also Port of Call for burgers and or steaks. Tujagues (sp?) on Decatur. Foods ok and a lot of history. The Old Blacksmiths shop, perfect for an afternoon cocktail or a nightcap before heading back to the hotel.

Riding the streetcar line all the way down St Charles to Carrolton is great as well.

I will PM you with phone # to reach me if you have any questions.

I added my thoughts to what Bier has layed out. There is also Port of Call for burgers and or steaks. Tujagues (sp?) on Decatur. Foods ok and a lot of history. The Old Blacksmiths shop, perfect for an afternoon cocktail or a nightcap before heading back to the hotel.

Riding the streetcar line all the way down St Charles to Carrolton is great as well.

I will PM you with phone # to reach me if you have any questions.

I may have mentioned this before, but my wife was a vegetarian for 7 years (including through her 4 years living in New Orleans). When we moved in together, she was somewhat cured of that and slowly began eating meat but with chicken and fish. The burger at Port o'Call was her return to beef. She took the first bite, looked at me and said "What was I thinking all those years?". I had no idea.

I could keep you busy for a week. If you are into old steamboats then you must ride the Natchez. do the 2;30 run you get a narrated tour of the Mississippi and you can see everything. The dinner cruise is nice with a nice spread and a dixieland Jazz band if something more romantic suites you. Just take an afternoon to walk around and marvel at the FQ. The cocktail thing is so so. PM some interest and I'll see what's up.

Muffaletta from Central Grocery

Lamb chops at Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen

Cafe Demonde

Roast Beef Sandwich at Mother's with Debris Sauce

Red Beans and Rice at pretty much anyplace

Bourbon Strret at 2:00 AM

I miss the Big Easy......

OK, digesting all of this and only having 3 days I think my plan is the following, but is subject to change:

Thursday:

- Arrival around noon

- Lunch at Port of Call for burgers with a Monsoon

- Walk around and people watch

- Dinner K Paul's or August

- Pat O's (Hurricane), Igors (Bloody Marys), Tropical Isle (Hand Grenade)

Friday:

- Breakfast at Cafe DuMonde

- Garden District

- Lunch at Mother's for Po Boy's

- Massages at Spa Atlantis

- Dinner Charlie's

- Pat O's (Hurricane), Igors (Bloody Mary, Tropical Isle (Hand Grenade)

Saturday:

- Breakfast/Brunch Court of Two Sisters

- Ride the St. Charles St. Street Car

- Lunch at Cooter Brown's to catch a few college games

- Natchez riverboat ride?

- Dinner at Br. B's Bistro

Stuff in red still looking for recommendations, my stomach is rumbling thinking about tomorrow!

Edited by paulzale

OK, digesting all of this and only having 3 days I think my plan is the following, but is subject to change:

Thursday:

- Arrival around noon

- Lunch at Port of Call for burgers

- Dinner (Jon Besh joint)??

- Drinks out and about

Friday:

- Lunch at

- Dinner (Brennan's rest.)?

- Drinks out and about

Saturday:

- Breakfast (looking for a local joint)

- Garden District

- Lunch Somewhere not overrated for Po Boy's

- Massages in the afternoon

- Drinks out and about

Stuff in red still looking for recommendations, my stomach is rumbling thinking about tomorrow!

If you want to eat at Luke let me know as I have a friend who works there. May or may not be able to hook you up with some VIP type treatment.

Mothers for the roast beef poboy as mentioned in this thread. I will think about lunch for the street car ride. There is a bunch of good places where St Charles meets Carrolton. You may want to set aside a little time to wander that riverbend area as it has really come alive in the last few years and has a completely different vibe than the Quarter does.

:wacko: Not sure how I forgot the roast beef at Mother's. Nsab would even be proud of that.

I will still recommend one of the guided walking tours. You could probably include that in your drinks out and about time one night. As I recall, there was not a second of the tour we did where my wife didn't have a drink in her hand. We've done those in Boston and New Orleans and had a blast on both. I'd advise doing one of them anytime you visit any city with some history.

Restaurant August (John Besh) is awesome - be prepared to drop some coin though.

ETA: If you're looking to maybe catch some college games on Saturday and drink a variety of beers then I would recommend Cooter Browns. Straight shot up on the street car from the French Quarter on the corner of Carrolton and St. Charles and you get the street car tour of St. Charles. Cheap oysters and awesome bar food for hangovers plus TVs all over the walls. A block down is Madigans - my hangout and employer for a few years but it's not really a place to go and eat or watch games - just a nice bar.

Also, on your way up there or back - stop off at Igors on St. Charles for a Bloody Mary - world famous.

Edited by twiley

Thursday:

- Arrival around noon

- Lunch at Port of Call for burgers

- Dinner (Jon Besh joint)??

- Drinks out and about

Friday:

- Lunch at

- Dinner (Brennan's rest.)?

- Drinks out and about

Saturday:

- Breakfast (looking for a local joint)

- Garden District

- Lunch Somewhere not overrated for Po Boy's

- Massages in the afternoon

- Drinks out and about

Hit up Court of Two sisters Jazz brunch on Saturday for breakfast.

Court of Two Sisters

3 Days hardly seems like enough time, that or I'm gonna pack on 5 lbs. this weekend!!!!

It's not - first day I was in town last July - I crammed 5 places into an afternoon because most of the weekend was packed.

Two things happened -

I was stuffed from eating so much and drunk as a skunk by 5pm. Had drinks at Mr. B's and dinner at Bayona later that night and only remember because of the receipts in my pocket the following morning.

Thursday:

- Arrival around noon

- Lunch at Port of Call for burgers with a Monsoon

- Dinner K Paul's or August

- Pat O's (Hurricane), Igors (Bloody Marys), Tropical Isle (Hand Grenade)

Friday:

- Garden District

- Lunch at Mother's for Po Boy's

- Massages at Spa Atlantis

- Dinner Charlie's

Saturday:

- Breakfast/Brunch Court of Two Sisters

- Lunch at Cooter Brown's to catch a few college games

Updated with some of your recommendations

Edited by paulzale