[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

December 7th, 1941

Chief Dick

A day that will live in infamy.

Some photos.

Some info about the USS Arizona Memorial.

Having visited this memorial several times, you can just feel what went on there. The part that always gets me is the room where they list the men and women who died there. There is a list of names of men and women whose last request was to be buried with their shipmates after their own passing many years later.

:wacko:

just before 9/11, I was working in one of the twin towers as head of federal tax research for a Japanese Bank. Each department had one Japanese liaison to the home office. Well towards the end of Nov. 2000 it was announced that the year end holiday party was to be held on the 1st Thu. in Dec. (12/7).

I casually strolled to HR and mentioned the date to head of HR (American employee).

Next thing you know, the date was abruptly moved.

Come December 7th, work day was somber. Each and every Japanese employee kept their head down and did not interact in any way with US employees. As if they lost face, etc.

Weird and awkward workplace that day...

I count myself lucky in that by happenstance at a barber shop one Saturday I sat and spoke with a Pearl Harbor survivor for a couple of hours. Amazing to hear a persons personal experiences to go along with what we all know. I think I mention this before but my in-laws went out there a few years ago and for that Christmas they gave me a book on Pearl Harbor that was signed by the author and the survivors who were there that day when the in-laws went. It was a very moving gift to receive.

It's amazing. Went to the USS Arizona Memorial (Hawaii Honeymoon). Had no one in family or close in that war. Yet, overcome w/ emotion. Couldn't stop the tears.

Been twice and it's an extremely powerful experience. It's not completely unique in that there are other places that also wring the emotions (I've been to Belsen, the Nazi concentration camp, for instance) but it is nevertheless something that I highly recommend everyone should experience.