[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best and worst of the "old" musical acts you've seen

BeeR

Playing off the other discussions......note some appear on both my lists, means I saw more than once, having at least one very good and one bad concert. Again focusing on acts who have been around a long damn time and you saw way after their prime, and weren't "bad" because they didn't play what you wanted or any reason other than the quality of play simply was well below what is reasonable to expect:

BEST

Little Feat

ARS

James Brown

Steely Dan (NYRS Review actually)

Frampton

Bruce Hornsby

WORST

Little Feat

Marshall Tucker

Guess Who

Steely Dan

Edited by BeeR

WORST

George Clinton :wacko:

Really? I've seen P-Funk twice and both times were fantastic - once was on Halloween, which led to a rare occasion of the audience being dressed more crazily than the bad (I was grooving next to Fidel Castro).

Cheap Trick may be a bit up-and-down on their albums these days, but in the several times I've seen them, they've always been aces (then again, just watched a concert taped at the 2010 SxSW and it seems like Robin Zander's voice isn't what it was).

Really? I've seen P-Funk twice and both times were fantastic - once was on Halloween, which led to a rare occasion of the audience being dressed more crazily than the bad (I was grooving next to Fidel Castro).

We saw them several years back at the Jazz & Heritage Festival. I'm guessing Clinton was on something because he was completely incoherent (moreso than usual) even when he was actually doing his part. The band in turned seemed to try to make up for it by just throwing in more "funk." About half way through their set they'd already lost about half the crowd to other stages. Ended up a good thing though because we left and found a Brazilian drum corp playing that was outstanding. Folks were throwing money at them they were so good. :wacko:

I don't tend to catch many older acts. Got free tix to see Roger Daltry about 2 years ago and it was fun. Highlighted by how funny it was to see a bunch of 50 year olds, giddy to yell along with "Who the cuff are you?". But the band was solid and they did put on a very good show.

Steely Dan, this past August was as good a show as I've ever been to. Straight up. Tight as a freaking drum. They played all the songs I wanted to hear, the band they assembled was nails. Awesome freaking show.

I'm seeing Elvis Costello this April, since it's been over 30 years since his first album, he certainly counts as "older". Very much looking forward to that.

About 8 years ago I was visiting a buddy of mine on St. Simons. His wife comes running in the house, "we're going to Island Rock tonight", big smile on her face... My buddy and I just say ok.... She bursts out... "Outfield is playing!!!!!"

They actually did an excellent job and we got completely and utterly inebriated.

The worst one I went to was a Great White concert a few years back... :wacko:

Best:

Def Leppard at Music Midtown 2003 -- the set was heavy on their early (pre-Pyromania) stuff, then later songs mixed in as the set progressed. The show easily could have sucked if they played more of their newer crap. They sounded amazing. I consider them "old" since they hadn't released anything relevant in 15+ years at the time I saw them.

Neil Young 2011 -- Saw him at the Tower Theater in Philly with my BIL. The crowd was mostly old geezers and Neil didn't try to pretend he was any spring chicken either. It was just him, and the stage was set up with different stations where he would play a few songs on guitar, then move to the piano, etc. Pretty amazing to watch him do his thing well into his 60's.

Worst:

None :wacko:

About 8 years ago I was visiting a buddy of mine on St. Simons. His wife comes running in the house, "we're going to Island Rock tonight", big smile on her face... My buddy and I just say ok.... She bursts out... "Outfield is playing!!!!!"

They actually did an excellent job and we got completely and utterly inebriated.

The worst one I went to was a Great White concert a few years back... :wacko:

Oh crap, I forgot I saw them about 10 years ago at a horse park in Alpharetta. They were pretty decent. I also remember the Journey cover band that opened for them sounding as good as or better than Journey.

Best--

Roger Waters - The Wall (2010)

Leonard Cohen (2010)

Both of the concerts were amazing. Cohen did 2 1/2 hours and really just blew my mind.

I'm not sure if Springsteen/E Street Band counts but I saw them in 2009 (I think) and they were very good as well.

I saw The Police in 2009 (I think) and they were good but not great. However, I saw them in an outdoor stadium and the acoustics sucked so that may have had a lot to do with it.

Back in 05, I saw this combo concert with Earth, Wind and Fire, and Chicago opening.

EWF was, and still is, a great live performance and quality show.

Chicago was utterly sad, old and depressing.

..all this Steely Dan talk is intriguing. Going to Itunes now...used to have a greatest hits cd, but I think the ex stole it. :wacko:

I am now reeling in the years. :tup:

Edited by Skilly

Back in 05, I saw this combo concert with Earth, Wind and Fire, and Chicago opening.

EWF was, and still is, a great live performance and quality show.

Chicago was utterly sad, old and depressing.

..all this Steely Dan talk is intriguing. Going to Itunes now...used to have a greatest hits cd, but I think the ex stole it. :wacko:

I am now reeling in the years. :tup:

4 disc set called Decade of Steely Dan. It is all you need when it comes to Steely

4 disc set called Decade of Steely Dan. It is all you need when it comes to Steely
Not hardly. Nothing less than all CDs (save the newer ones) is necessary.

The "bad" concert I saw was mostly so because Fagan couldn't sing for squat. I don't mean not quite what he used to be - just bad. And some of their mod-ed versions of songs similar. ugh. Oh well.