[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I need a new router?

chester

Wireless at home has been spotty. I had the cable company check from their end and they said the modem is working fine. Suggested it's the router. Any suggestions before I get a new one, and on what kind to get if I need a new one. Don't need anything special.

Wireless at home has been spotty. I had the cable company check from their end and they said the modem is working fine. Suggested it's the router. Any suggestions before I get a new one, and on what kind to get if I need a new one. Don't need anything special.

Can you plug in an ethernet cable and make sure that the modem is not the problem first?

If it is not, I have had fine luck with both D-Link and Linksys models

Can you plug in an ethernet cable and make sure that the modem is not the problem first?

If it is not, I have had fine luck with both D-Link and Linksys models

When I was on the phone with charter yesterday, they said it was absolutely not the modem. I asked them if I should try a direct line and they said try it later just to be sure since I had to find one.

I forgot and tried one when I read this. It didn't work either.

Called back just now. After about 2 minutes, new guy tells me the modem is the problem. :wacko:

This is going to sound fanboyish, but the Apple Airport Exreme is amazing. It just works with every computer/phone/tablet/playstation that we, our friends and family have. I had gone through several other routers before the Apple and there was always a problem, no mas.

This is going to sound fanboyish, but the Apple Airport Exreme is amazing. It just works with every computer/phone/tablet/playstation that we, our friends and family have. I had gone through several other routers before the Apple and there was always a problem, no mas.

You really can't go wrong with an Airport Extreme, unless you are a person that refuses to pay a premium for a product that works great 100% of the time and is completely backed by it's company if it does have an issue....but some folks around here don't like that trade-off.

When I was on the phone with charter yesterday, they said it was absolutely not the modem. I asked them if I should try a direct line and they said try it later just to be sure since I had to find one.

Called back just now. After about 2 minutes, new guy tells me the modem is the problem. :wacko:

That's the problem with calling tech support...you often find a dumbass that doesn;t know what they are talking about on the other end of the phone. But they have had 'training'. :tup:

NetGear is garbage IMO.....

Every one of these companies have good and bad products. I wouldn't make sweeping generalizations. I did my homework before I bought my last one. It is a Netgear WNDR3700. It's been rock solid for well over a year now. I think I've had to reboot it twice. It's not cheap though. It's still around $100.

smallnetbuilder.com does some pretty thorough reviews.

Called back just now. After about 2 minutes, new guy tells me the modem is the problem. :tup:

It's rarely the router. I actually had problems last night, and got ahold of TW via chat. While telling them my problem, and them telling me it was definitely not their modem, the problem mysteriously disappeared. Go figure. :wacko:

You really can't go wrong with an Airport Extreme, unless you are a person that refuses to pay a premium for a product that works great 100% of the time and is completely backed by it's company if it does have an issue....but some folks around here don't like that trade-off.

:wacko:

This is going to sound fanboyish gay, but the Apple Airport Exreme is amazing. It just works with every computer/phone/tablet/playstation that we, our friends and family have. I had gone through several other routers before the Apple and there was always a problem, no mas. I can download gay pron at speeds not seen from other non-gay routers.

:wacko:

So we have a couple of tablets and the innernets connection is very uneven , somtime great and sometimes crappy. I download a WiFi analyzer app but the strength of our WiFi signal does not necessarily coincide with the innernets quality. I've tried swapping channels on the router and sometimes it seems to help. Does this mean its not my router but maybe my modem and my crappy Cox High Speed Innernets that's at fault? Suggestions?