[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ravens/Patriots Game Thread

Chief Dick

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read a tweet that Lee Evans was still in full uniform sitting in front of his locker a full 45 minutes after the game. He hadn't moved, said a word... Anything. He's going to be replaying that drop in his head for the next... Forever.

I do have a question about that play. He clearly caught it. He had one foot clearly down, the second may have been too. He didn't go to the ground to make the catch did he? Could/should that have been ruled a TD? Possession in the end zone is a touchdown. At the very least, that play should have been reviewed.

Edited by CaptainHook

I do have a question about that play. He clearly caught it. He had one foot clearly down, the second may have been too. He didn't go to the ground to make the catch did he? Could/should that have been ruled a TD?

His second foot wasn't on the ground, i know that for sure. I think the whole thing was that he never possessed the ball. I thought it was a good call.

His second foot wasn't on the ground, i know that for sure. I think the whole thing was that he never possessed the ball. I thought it was a good call.

I did too in real time. But looking at it in slow motion, he clearly possessed it. Does he have to get two feet down? Because it was close . . .

I did too in real time. But looking at it in slow motion, he clearly possessed it. Does he have to get two feet down? Because it was close . . .

If Calvin Johnson didn't possess his TD, which he is now referenced to, I don't see any way it's a catch. I just don't think he ever actually possessed it. Even is slow motion.

If Calvin Johnson didn't possess his TD, which he is now referenced to, I don't see any way it's a catch. I just don't think he ever actually possessed it. Even is slow motion.

The CJ TD isn't even a reference for a catch like that...CJ went to the ground...that is a completely different scenario.

The CJ TD isn't even a reference for a catch like that...CJ went to the ground...that is a completely different scenario.

Like, keg said, two completely different scenarios with different rules. And you're crazy if you don't thin he possessed it. He clearly had it until it was knocked out of his hands.

Edited by CaptainHook

Like, keg said, two completely different scenarios with different rules. And you're crazy if you don't thin he possessed it. He clearly had it until it was knocked out of his hands.

I don't know if I would say clearly, but it was clearly close enough to warrant a review, at least that is what I think

Nowhere did I say they were similar scenario's. I said if Calvin didn't have a TD, Lee Evans didn't have a TD. More along the lines of what is Vs What isn't a TD.

And you're crazy if you don't thin he possessed it.

Then I guess myself, and the officials at the game are crazy and wrong, and you are right.

It may well be a drop. But he did possess it before it was knocked out.

Can you possess a ball for a fraction of a second? Does that merit possession?

Like I've said, I see a drop. Then again, I don't have a longstanding disdain for the Pats. I didn't think it was a catch in real time, slow motion, slow motion camera #2, #3, or super slow motion.

I don't know if I would say clearly, but it was clearly close enough to warrant a review, at least that is what I think

They just replayed it and i replayed it in slow-mo...it is a split second but the ball does look like it was coming out prior to the 2nd foot getting down

They just replayed it and i replayed it in slow-mo...it is a split second but the ball does look like it was coming out prior to the 2nd foot getting down

I agree. It was clearly coming out before the second foot was down.

My contention was that he DID catch the ball. He did have possession in the end zone. But for it to be ruled complete, and a TD, he needed the second foot down in the end zone, correct?

Edited by CaptainHook

My contention was that he DID catch the ball. He did have possession in the end zone. But for it to be ruled complete, and a TD, he needed the second foot down in the end zone, correct?

without looking it up I am 99% sure he needed "2 feet" ...if the 2nd foot was down and then the swipe happened it would have been a TD

Edited by keggerz

Players catching the ball in the end zone must get two feet down in bounds in order to score a touchdown. The key stipulations are that the player also possesses the ball and the ball crosses the goal line. If a player has his feet in the end zone but receives the ball short of the goal line, this is not a touchdown by NFL rule. A catch made in the end zone requires two feet down and control of the ball on or past the goal line to be a touchdown.

Just got home, haven't read the entire thread, but what a gross game by the Pats offense. The D played very well, better than I thought they would. Both teams had missed opportunities, the Ravens just missed theirs at the end. I didn't like kicking three FGs in the first half and they almost cost the Pats the game. I'll take the fortunate results of the last few minutes and move on to the SB, but the Pats better play better offensively in two weeks.