[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you burn?

rajncajn

I'm sure they'll like it fine when, between the beer and the "y'all watch this" moments, your house burns to ashes and they can rid the neighborhood of you... :wacko:

The burn pile is a good 90 yards from the house.

The neighbors probably do want to get rid of me, though.

And you just got crossed off the invite list, meanie.

It should be banned in ours as well with as many pine forests & fires we have around here, but unfortunately it's not. If it's windy and dry then the forestry commission will issue temporary burn bans.

So you're saying that people that live below sea level right next to the Gulf make questionable decisions. :wacko:

I heard of a guy who one time poured gasoline on a tree stump he wanted to burn. Turns out the gasoline went to the roots and when he lit it he burned not only the stump but also the roots that were under his house. The whole place went up in flames.

No oxygen = no flame

I do not burn leaves. I compost them. We live in an area where burning is allowed provided there is not a burn ban in affect. Unfortunately we have had a burn ban for so long, that since it was recently lifted, it seems everyone is burning. I live in a neighborhood that has lots from 1 acre to 10acres. I don't have a real problem with it as long as they are responsible about it. Yes it makes thing unpleasant at times, but that is the part of the price you pay living out side the city limits.

I remember once when I was younger, my cousin had a huge field of Josh Gordon. The GBI set in upon him and torched the whole thing, right in the middle of summer. It jumped from his property over to the neighbors pasture where it caught the newly cut hay field on fire, it burned about 140 acres of the hay field, three homes and some 500 head of cattle were caught between the Hwy and a fire. Something like 23 cos were hit on the road and 100+ perished in the blaze.

The biggest problem was is that every one in the area was so stoned that they couldn't get their faculties about them to go and round up the cattle or put out the blaze.

In San Diego county you can have a fire pit on your property, but burning of brush or leaves is not permitted except by the Fire Department. Camp fires in the parks are also permitted in designated areas. If the Santa Ana winds become too strong, no fires of any kind are permitted.

No oxygen = no flame

Well, I've fought wildland fire and if the conditions are right; stuff can slow burn underground for a long time. Also have seen root systems turn into pretty impressive underground cavernous type void space in relatively quick time.

ETA: A quick example

Also the soil gas samples I have collected or studied, typically still have quite a bit of oxygen. :wacko:

Edited by bushwacked

Well, I've fought wildland fire and if the conditions are right; stuff can slow burn underground for a long time. Also have seen root systems turn into pretty impressive underground cavernous type void space in relatively quick time.

ETA: A quick example

Also the soil gas samples I have collected or studied, typically still have quite a bit of oxygen. :tup:

Cool, didn't think of it that way. I guess if you have rot then you can have enough air for it to smolder. Seems crazy to think that it could be enough to set a house of fire... almost like a fuse I guess. :wacko:

I do not burn leaves. I compost them. We live in an area where burning is allowed provided there is not a burn ban in affect. Unfortunately we have had a burn ban for so long, that since it was recently lifted, it seems everyone is burning. I live in a neighborhood that has lots from 1 acre to 10acres. I don't have a real problem with it as long as they are responsible about it. Yes it makes thing unpleasant at times, but that is the part of the price you pay living out side the city limits.

Why did they lift the ban? Seems kinda perverse.

We've received a good deal of rain in the last two months or so, so the danger of a fire getting out of contorol if properly monitored is very slim.

Oh I see. So it was an anti-wildfire measure rather than an anti-pollution measure?