[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alex Smith to re-sign with 49ers

Big John

To say the least. Props for getting as far as they did last year, but he aint the answer and could even regress. He's a pls-just-don't-lose-the-game-for-us kinda guy. Dilferish.

Edited by BeeR

To say the least. Props for getting as far as they did last year, but he aint the answer and could even regress. He's a pls-just-don't-lose-the-game-for-us kinda guy. Dilferish.

Dilferish seemed to worked for the Ravens and the Niners last year.

But I hope we get to see some Josh Johnson in the mix like was speculated. His size kind of scares me (and probably the Bucs too to draft Freeman), but I've long thought he's a hell of an athlete and good QB.

Dilferish seemed to worked for the Ravens and the Niners last year.

But I hope we get to see some Josh Johnson in the mix like was speculated. His size kind of scares me (and probably the Bucs too to draft Freeman), but I've long thought he's a hell of an athlete and good QB.

Agreed on ravens and niners

and Yes to J.J. as well.... have had those same thoughts and the more the merrier at the QB position just in case things don't pan out as well as they did last year.

Smith

Johnson

Special K

one of them will play well enough to have success in Harbaugh's scheme

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

Hopefully he is "Dilferish" circa 2000 season this year :)

I agree, he is a game manager at best, but at least we ain't gettin' T-bag.

Can we stop with the "special k" crap? Worst nickname ever.

Because All Day has panned out so well? All Day of what rehab and wasted talent? That's a worse nickname for me as he is a known commodity that has never lived up to any of that nickname besides FF wise! Your worst nickname special K still hasn't been able to live up to the name... So let's see what happens first before we judge if its the worst nickname ever! Hell he may be more special than anyone knows so let's let time be the judge of that!

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

Tom Condon represents both Alex Smith and Peyton Manning. There was something fishy there about talks breaking down with the 49ers, and then starting up with Manning. Someone was trying to put a wedge between one side or the other.

That said, as great as Alex Smith is (ahem), he got a contract that is slightly less than the one signed by Matt Flynn on Monday. Apparently, despite his career year, even the Dolphins didn't want him.

Good move for SF. The 9ers and the Ravens remain the counterpunch to the current NFL thinking that you need a top 6 QB to win a SB. They build much more balanced teams and don't allocate 15% of their cap space to the QB position, leaving significant holes elsewhere. Smith performed admirably last year given his limitations.

Good move for SF.  The 9ers and the Ravens remain the counterpunch to the current NFL thinking that you need a top 6 QB to win a SB.  They build much more balanced teams and don't allocate 15% of their cap space to the QB position, leaving significant holes elsewhere.  Smith performed admirably last year given his limitations.

And that assumes that we're not going to see more of the guy we saw vs NO. The uber-conservative nature of the offense (that ultimately played a role in costing them the NFC Championship) may have simply been a means to an end, trying to keep things simple for a guy who'd had to learn 7 offenses in 7 years and actually had way less time that year to do so. Maybe they open things up a bit more for him this year given the time they have to prepare. The best part of this deal is that they didn't overpay. If we get some version of the same Smith we got last year (which, in fairness, means we likely don't get as far as we did last year because plenty of things broke right for us along the way), then maybe it's time to hand the keys to Kaeperneck depending on how he progresses. It's not like we'll be over a barrel with some massive contract.

Can we stop with the "special k" crap? Worst nickname ever.

I think it would be awesome if we just stopped with all the nicknames. Many of them are silly, terrible, and too obscure for all but the most hard core. I've started using them more when posting here as shorthand because I know people understand them. But even then mostly the name abbreviations like (DWill, JStew, BGE) and occassionally others like Megatron, Law Firm and Silent G.

Of course its even worse when players change there name to something stupid (e.g. Ocho Cinco and Meta World Peace).

The 9ers and the Ravens remain the counterpunch to the current NFL thinking that you need a top 6 QB to win a SB.

Well, the Ravens and the 49ers didn't exactly dispel that notion, did they?

Both teams are right there, and given the proper catching of a punt or making a chip shot FG, could easily have met in the last SB.

OK. So let's open up another train of thought that you don't need a top 6 QB to get really, really close to making the Super Bowl. Which is kinda like winning a Super Bowl. Or maybe not.

OK. So let's open up another train of thought that you don't need a top 6 QB to get really, really close to making the Super Bowl. Which is kinda like winning a Super Bowl. Or maybe not.

Well I guess this is the first argument of the day for Bronco. Good lord....he is so bent on defending crap QBs. He just can't help himself.

Here are the last 20 Super Bowl WINNERS and their QBs. You have TWO of TWENTY QBs that won the game that can be considered not a top QB. The rest of those guys are either HOF currently or future HOF. I would not want to hang my hat on a crappy QB and a good defense to win the big one. I can happen, but it is rare as hell. And by the way, the Niners have a nice defense but it is not even close to that Ravens defense. I guess BB will have to find something else to be wrong about today. This one was pretty easy.

XXVII Jan. 31, 1993 Rose Bowl Dallas 52, Buffalo 17-AIKMAN XXVIII Jan. 30, 1994 Georgia Dome (Atlanta) Dallas 30, Buffalo 13-AIKMAN XXIX Jan. 29, 1995 Joe Robbie Stadium San Francisco 49, San Diego 26-STEVE YOUNG XXX Jan. 28, 1996 Sun Devil Stadium (Tempe, Ariz.) Dallas 27, Pittsburgh 17-AIKMAN XXXI Jan. 26, 1997 Superdome Green Bay 35, New England 21-FAVRE XXXII Jan. 25, 1998 Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego) Denver 31, Green Bay 24-ELWAY XXXIII Jan. 31, 1999 Pro Player Stadium (Miami) Denver 34, Atlanta 19-ELWAY XXXIV Jan. 30, 2000 Georgia Dome St. Louis 23, Tennessee 16-WARNER XXXV Jan. 28, 2001 Raymond James Stadium (Tampa) Baltimore 34, New York Giants 7-THE FAMOUS DILFER XXXVI Feb. 3, 2002 Superdome New England 20, St. Louis 17-BRADY XXXVII Jan. 26, 2003 Qualcomm Stadium Tampa Bay 48, Oakland 21-BRAD JOHNSON? XXXVIII Feb. 1, 2004 Reliant Stadium (Houston) New England 32, Carolina 29-BRADY XXXIX Feb. 6, 2005 Alltel Stadium (Jacksonville, Fla.) New England 24, Philadelphia 21-BRADY XL Feb. 5, 2006 Ford Field (Detroit) Pittsburgh 21, Seattle 10-BEN XLI Feb. 4, 2007 Dolphin Stadium (Miami) Indianapolis 29, Chicago 17-P. MANNING XLII Feb. 3, 2008 University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Ariz.) New York Giants 17, New England 14-E. MANNING XLIII Feb. 1, 2009 Raymond James Stadium (Tampa, Fla.) Pittsburgh Steelers 27, Arizona Cardinals 23-BEN XLIV Feb. 7, 2010 Sun Life Stadium (Miami) New Orleans Saints 31, Indianapolis Colts 17-BREES XLV Feb. 6, 2011 Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, Texas) Green Bay Packers 31, Pittsburgh Steelers 25-RODGERS XLVI Feb. 5, 2012 Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis) New York Giants 21, New England Patriots 17-E. MANNING

Well I guess this is the first argument of the day for Bronco. Good lord....he is so bent on defending crap QBs. He just can't help himself.

I already stated that I am passsing on this discussion. I think the facts speak for themselves. Yet again you are so amped up to get in shots at me that you simply refuse to read. This seems to be a reoccurring event. You ought to seek out some therapy, seriously.

I already stated that I am passsing on this discussion. I think the facts speak for themselves. Yet again you are so amped up to get in shots at me that you simply refuse to read. This seems to be a reoccurring event. You ought to seek out some therapy, seriously.

Comical man. Comical. You get abused and this is the best you can do? It is getting ugly for you.

Comical man. Comical. You get abused and this is the best you can do? It is getting ugly for you.

This is the last I'm going to post in this thread. Re-read yourself and see if you agree. I made a simple statement that SF and BAL are showing that teams can competently compete for the SB without spending 15% of their cap space on a stud QB. Furd disagreed because neither team actually went to the SB. I rebutted that both teams were so close to actually getting to the SB - a play at the end of both games that can be easily identified. After that I refused to engage in the discussion any further, at which point you decided to come blazing in with an attack on me because I made two - count them, two - post simply discussing the proposition. That apparently offended you incredibly.

I'll let it speak for itself - the text is above. But this is hardly the first time you didn't read anything I posted, or if you did read it you simply ignored the content, and only saw that it was me posting and went into full blown attack mode despite the content of the posts. In the QB thread you actually posted points you thought were blowing me away when I had actually brought up and acknowledged the exact same points earlier in the thread. Then you posted and bolded a ver lengthy article that you again thought was some kind of "gotcha" when the exact same article had been posted and discussed just a half page earlier.

This appears to be some kind of compulsive behavior with you. If you want to do it, that's fine - it's your privledge and it sure as hell doesn't affect me. I sure don't feel any need to defend myself from your behavior, as you seem to think I ought to. Have at it. It's just awfully odd, IMO.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I think it would be awesome if we just stopped with all the nicknames. Many of them are silly, terrible, and too obscure for all but the most hard core. I've started using them more when posting here as shorthand because I know people understand them. But even then mostly the name abbreviations like (DWill, JStew, BGE) and occassionally others like Megatron, Law Firm and Silent G.

Of course its even worse when players change there name to something stupid (e.g. Ocho Cinco and Meta World Peace).

I would think that the nickname isn't for you or me, but something they are called on the team, in highschool or college.