[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why did Carolina pay DWill all that cash?

RJV

Ok, people have been waiting on JSTEW to emerge and get his solo gig and all that seemingly forever. And yesterday, in a game in which JSTEW didn't even play, we had that moment and I hope everyone saw it.

The Panthers showed yesterday that what there team wants to be and is trying to be is highly dependent on JSTEW.

The complete and total willingness to ignore DWIL in the game and the manner in which they tried (and by tried, that is being kind) to use their RBS showed us that JSTEW is going to be the far and away chief beneficiary in this offense going forward.

I KNOW a statement like this absolutely invites pitchforks and burning brooms to come to my door. In the spirit of not going down the road of how a lot of topics go in the SP these days go, I'm just going to say that I'm not going to get into 100 response threads picking nits.

I'm simply just saying I THINK this will be the moment when we look back and say "this is where it turned" for JSTEW because: -I think he has a lot more to offer a this point in the pure running game between the tackles. -I think it appears that the Panthers want a steady screen game, especially where the RBs fein a block and then release and I like Tolbert and JSTEW more in those aspects (but given that DWIL is still on the team, I think JSTEW will get that work and Tolbert will be the victim of simply too many bodies).

So, my two cents: for what it's worth: Buy JSTEW in bulk if you can right now.

Sounds good to me RJV. DWill killed me yesterday and will be benched until I can get JStew (if possible), then dumped. If I can't get JStew, I'll probably dump him anyway. But your original question still lingers: Why did Carolina pay DWill so much cash???

Ok, people have been waiting on JSTEW to emerge and get his solo gig and all that seemingly forever. And yesterday, in a game in which JSTEW didn't even play, we had that moment and I hope everyone saw it.

The Panthers showed yesterday that what there team wants to be and is trying to be is highly dependent on JSTEW.

The complete and total willingness to ignore DWIL in the game and the manner in which they tried (and by tried, that is being kind) to use their RBS showed us that JSTEW is going to be the far and away chief beneficiary in this offense going forward.

I KNOW a statement like this absolutely invites pitchforks and burning brooms to come to my door. In the spirit of not going down the road of how a lot of topics go in the SP these days go, I'm just going to say that I'm not going to get into 100 response threads picking nits.

I'm simply just saying I THINK this will be the moment when we look back and say "this is where it turned" for JSTEW because: -I think he has a lot more to offer a this point in the pure running game between the tackles. -I think it appears that the Panthers want a steady screen game, especially where the RBs fein a block and then release and I like Tolbert and JSTEW more in those aspects (but given that DWIL is still on the team, I think JSTEW will get that work and Tolbert will be the victim of simply too many bodies).

So, my two cents: for what it's worth: Buy JSTEW in bulk if you can right now.

I didn't see the game, did they even try to run it? If I was a JStew owner, I'd hope that everyone thinks as you do, wait until he's ready to come back & sell high.

I think you are over reacting to one game. There was zero rushing allowed by the Buccaneers who held Cam Newton to only four yards on five runs. How their defense improved from worst to first I am still trying to figure out, but they poured it all into stopping the CAR run and they succeeded. In the game last meeting in TB, the Panthers combined for 39 carries for 163 yards and four rushing scores. In their other meeting, it was 28 carries for 242 yards and three TDs. The Bucs shut their run down this time. I'd give it more than one game before expecting a major change in personnel.

Last year it was Jonathan Stewart rushing for 142-761-4 and Williams had 155-836-7. Williams was the better runner.

Not sure why they paid him, or what that has to do with your post.

Are you implying that the Panthers would have done better if JStew could play, and they could run those screen passes to him?

I didn't see the game, but from what I've read/heard the Bucs just shut down the Panthers O, which was lots of Cam throwing and running, none of it all that successful.

The complete and total willingness to ignore DWIL in the game

Why are so many pinning DWill's ineffectiveness on a specific intent for Carolina to not commit to the running game rather than the fact that their initial attempts were completely and totally shut down and then, ultimately found themselves constantly trailing and realizing that the only possible way they could move the ball was to pass.

People are acting like he got 20 yards on those 6 carries, which still wouldn't be anything great, but at least positive yards and something that you could, perhaps, have reason to believe might start getting better as the game wore on, provided you stuck with it.

Now, maybe you right about everything else and that the back to have is really J Stew. But I'm just amazed that, yet another person, is going on like Carolina just decided they weren't going to run the ball going into yesterday or something. They couldn't, nor could they afford to start forfeiting downs and taking on negative yards once they were behind.

Being called DWill and JStew have emasculated and demoralized them.

See Vjax and Sjax and Caddy. Even Fitz is showing signs of this finally. And TRich ain't even going to get off of the ground.

I'll pass on the Stewart kool-aid. Its the Newton show, All-Day.

I guess the title doesn't fit my thought, but it still lingers on my mind, why I'm gods name pay a guy this type of money when you have no intention to use him in a way that would justify the amount of cash you paid him.

I strongly believe that when Jonathan Stewart returns, there will be more running plays then you saw this past game. They just have no confidence in DWill.

Edited by RJV

Being called DWill and JStew have emasculated and demoralized them.

See Vjax and Sjax and Caddy. Even Fitz is showing signs of this finally. And TRich ain't even going to get off of the ground.

I'll pass on the Stewart kool-aid. Its the Newton show, All-Day.

TRich isn't emasculated, but Kurt Coleman might be ;)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/10/trent-richardson-kurt-coleman-helmet-video_n_1869611.html

With Newton under center, teams will play to contain the run game and force the pass. Carolina will have to evolve if they want to get yards on the ground.

They have the talent, they must get creative.

Because they don't respect the passing game? Doesn't exactly make sense considering dude set the rookie record for passing yards last year.

With Newton under center, teams will play to contain the run game and force the pass. Carolina will have to evolve if they want to get yards on the ground.

They have the talent, they must get creative.

I guess you didn't watch Newton much last year. He is a passer first and a runner second.

If the Bucs were committing to shut down the run why couldnt Newton throw the ball? I watched a portion of this game and he looked BAD.

DeAngelo had one carry for -5 and another for 7 yards. The four others were for no gain. That is not much of an effort in the running game.

If they run that kind of offense this year, Newton will regress big time.

I watched the game and there was absolutely nowhere for DeAngelo to run. TB was in beast mode and Carolina's line couldn't block.

I have no idea where the Bucs got this defense, but hallelujah!

In fairness, Carolina moved the ball very easily on their one TD drive. They adapted to TB's front pressure on that drive by, on several plays, having Newton fake handoff to the RB going up the middle, then pull the ball back and throw to open receivers. I don't know what that's called but you see it in college a fair bit. It slowed down TB's front line pressure - Carolina adapted, then TB re-adapted after that and the rest of the game was an offensive nightmare for Carolina.

Carolina's running game will be back. It wasn't just DWill, no one was running for CAR yesterday.

Edited by stethant

If the Bucs were committing to shut down the run why couldnt Newton throw the ball? I watched a portion of this game and he looked BAD.

DeAngelo had one carry for -5 and another for 7 yards. The four others were for no gain. That is not much of an effort in the running game.

If they run that kind of offense this year, Newton will regress big time.

I don't think they were committing to shut down the run so much as they were just blowing up the line and beating their men. It didn't look like they had 8 in the box or anything to take away the run. They were just taking it away. And, actually Carolina did manage to throw on them.

As badly as they were getting beat at the point of attack, resulting in no running lanes and often little or no time for Newton, he still did have 300+.

Regardless, look at the play by play. It's hard to commit to the run when, every time you do, you end up putting yourself into passing down and distance for the next play. Just look at the first series. 1st and 10, running play loses 4. So then it's 2nd and 14, a passing down and they pick up the 1st. Then on 1st and 10, another run that loses 3. Once again, now it's a passing down. And so on.

ETA: and you're wrong about him only losing yardage on one of his carries. Looking at the play chart, he had losses of 2, 3, and 4, one for no gain, on for 1 yard, and another for 7.

Edited by detlef

I guess you didn't watch Newton much last year. He is a passer first and a runner second.

I agree, I'm not saying he can't pass or won't pass first. The guy kept drives alive last year and put up points because he ran/scrambled for over 700 yards at 5 1/2 yards a clip. I just think teams are willing to stack the box and let Newton throw rather than allow him (or any other Carolina back) to get the ground yards.

It worked. A team was wiling to let him throw, but it clearly wasn't enough. Newton got 4 yards on 5 carries and they put up 10 points. My guess is that New Orleans will stack the box next week and the Carolina run game will be squeezed again.