[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Flacco, Highest paid QB in NFL HISTORY!?!?

Shorttynaz

Dude's good, but NO WHERE NEAR deserving of being the highest paid. Good for him though! Way to get what you wanted!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9006059/joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-reach-agreement-according-source

"Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco has agreed to terms with the Baltimore Ravens on a deal that's expected to make him the highest paid quarterback in NFL history, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The two sides will work on the contract language throughout the weekend and Flacco is expected to sign the deal Monday in Baltimore, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Flacco played out his rookie contract last season for $6.76 million.

Capping a perfect postseason, the unassuming and unheralded Flacco completed 22-of-33 passes for 287 yards and three first-half touchdowns, earning Super Bowl MVP honors for leading the Ravens to a 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

He wrapped up Baltimore's four-game run to the title with a record-equaling 11 TD passes and zero interceptions, going 73 of 126 for 1,140 yards. It was an impressive streak that included road victories against two of the game's most respected quarterbacks, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, and a first-round home win against No. 1 overall draft pick Andrew Luck.

The 28-year-old Flacco, a fifth-year pro, threw for 22 touchdown passes and 10 interceptions in the regular season. He has thrown for 17,633 yards, 102 touchdowns and 52 interceptions in 80 career games.

Flacco is the only quarterback to win a postseason game in each of his first five pro seasons. He also holds the record for playoff road wins with six."

Flacco outplayed his contract enough to where he deserves to get his big pay day, but I hope the QBs who've already made a ton will continue to follow suit in keeping their deals reasonable to keep talent around them. :cough: Ryan :cough.

I'm a little sick over thinking what it will cost to keep Ryan happy. Thank you Brady and Roethlisberger for helping counteract this, though I guess it does help that Ryan was drafted third at a time before the wage scale when it fetched him a 6 year/$72 million deal.

I really don't see how the Saints will be able to afford to keep shelling out all that dough to Brees, IIRC, the cap hit is just going to be bigger and bigger the way it was backloaded, and the Ravens might just have the same problem getting to the playoffs, paying that much for a QB who can only seem to put them on his back in the playoffs. They've already been having cap issues before this.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Flacco outplayed his contract enough to where he deserves to get his big pay day, but I hope the QBs who've already made a ton will continue to follow suit in keeping their deals reasonable to keep talent around them. :cough: Ryan :cough.

I'm a little sick over thinking what it will cost to keep Ryan happy. Thank you Brady and Roethlisberger for helping counteract this, though I guess it does help that Ryan was drafted third at a time before the wage scale when it fetched him a 6 year/$72 million deal.

I really don't see how the Saints will be able to afford to keep shelling out all that dough to Brees, IIRC, the cap hit is just going to be bigger and bigger the way it was backloaded, and the Ravens might just have the same problem getting to the playoffs, paying that much for a QB who can only seem to put them on his back in the playoffs. They've already been having cap issues before this.

That's not exactly a very accurate statement considering the Ravens have 54 regular season wins over the past 5 years...Ryan and the Falcons have 56

Thank you Brady and Roethlisberger for helping counteract this

What did Roethlisberger do besides a simple restructure this month? He didn't take any less money, just reworked how it effects the cap. Everybody does that.

Part of me wishes MLB and the NBA could restructure contracts.

Anybody else read that as MLB - middle linebacker at first glance?

Smart guy...take the huge deal when you're team is up against the cap and make sure they can't resign the guys that won a Superbowl for you...

We don't even know how it's structured or what his cap number is. The team is hardly "up against the cap" being over $18 million BELOW the cap.

Yeah, you're right, he should just play for free. All he's done is lead them to a Super Bowl championship, getting paid for doing that would just be greedy.

Flacco = 6 years, $120.6 million?????

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Flacco?????

Whooooooooohahahahahahaha

I'm cryin' over here. Please stop!!!!!

That's not exactly a very accurate statement considering the Ravens have 54 regular season wins over the past 5 years...Ryan and the Falcons have 56

It's accurate to just look at wins and not contributions and supporting cast? Because even this year Flacco was awful at times, particularly on the road, and had his best statistical season with just 3,700 yards... And aside from this year where the defense wasn't as good, he's had a strong defense and running game every year.

Granted Ryan has had better weapons, but the numbers aren't even close in the regular season, other than wins, which are of course more of a team accomplishment than individual.

I just don't think you can make the claim that they won all of those games just because of Flacco, when I've seen more than enough instances where they won in spite of him.

• Like 1