[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL 2013 FAs

BeeR

As a Pats fan, I've been trying to take a step back and not over-react to the Welker news one way or the other. Here's what I think went down. Last year NE offered Welker 2 years for $16 mil. He turned it down. So they franchised him at $9 mil ($9.5 mil? whatever it was) So this year they look at what they would like to pay him and come up with a number at or below the 2/16 number. Why would they expect he'd take that after declining it a year earlier? Being franchised has meanwhile pissed Welker off, as did being phased out the first two weeks of the season. Only Hernandez's injury really put him back on the field. So I think Welker decided then he wanted to test free agency, thinking he could get a big money deal on the open market. The Pats were right about this part, that deal was not out there for a 32 year old 5-8 slot receiver (GMs continue to value size and speed over production). But at this point it didn't matter what NE offered him, he was pissed that they weren't paying him for past production (because he can't possibly think he'll be this productive for another 3 years?) and he was determined to leave. Once that big money deal did not come yesterday, he decided to stick it to Bill. What better way than to sign with Denver for a contract NE could have easily afforded?(although I can't imagine NE signing anybody to a fully guaranteed deal, ever). Fans are saying, why did they let him go? The better question is, why did they piss off Wes a while ago to make him want to go? Today's events were inevitable based on prior events. I don't think there was a contract they could have offered that would have go this done. You can't make somebody sign a contract that is pissed off and wants to leave town, regardless of the $$.

• Like 4

As a Pats fan, I've been trying to take a step back and not over-react to the Welker news one way or the other. Here's what I think went down. Last year NE offered Welker 2 years for $16 mil. He turned it down. So they franchised him at $9 mil ($9.5 mil? whatever it was) So this year they look at what they would like to pay him and come up with a number at or below the 2/16 number. Why would they expect he'd take that after declining it a year earlier? Being franchised has meanwhile pissed Welker off, as did being phased out the first two weeks of the season. Only Hernandez's injury really put him back on the field. So I think Welker decided then he wanted to test free agency, thinking he could get a big money deal on the open market. The Pats were right about this part, that deal was not out there for a 32 year old 5-8 slot receiver (GMs continue to value size and speed over production). But at this point it didn't matter what NE offered him, he was pissed that they weren't paying him for past production (because he can't possibly think he'll be this productive for another 3 years?) and he was determined to leave. Once that big money deal did not come yesterday, he decided to stick it to Bill. What better way than to sign with Denver for a contract NE could have easily afforded?(although I can't imagine NE signing anybody to a fully guaranteed deal, ever). Fans are saying, why did they let him go? The better question is, why did they piss off Wes a while ago to make him want to go? Today's events were inevitable based on prior events. I don't think there was a contract they could have offered that would have go this done. You can't make somebody sign a contract that is pissed off and wants to leave town, regardless of the $$.

Great post and very insightful. Someone on that team was definitely trying to stick it to Welker to start the season. At the end of the day, though, most (but not all) misunderstandings between friends can be smoothed over one way or the other. If this bridge really was burned long ago, someone should have saved Kraft from the embarassment of saying he hoped Welker was a Patriot for life. I would say poorly played by the front office all the way around.

I agree with you - the choice of Denver was 100% intentional.

Great, they signed someone exactly like Edelman, a slot receiver who can't stay healthy. Perhaps they're betting on him being tougher than Edelman just by virtue of not being named Julian. Regardless, either one ain't no Welker, which they'll find out soon enough. (Here's a side bet for you, who plays in more games this season, Amendola or Edelman?).

Has Edelman been signed somewhere for 2013?

Dream Team "heh heh heh"

They're falling into the same trap the Jets of 3 years ago did, the Eagles of 2 years ago, and the Bucs of last year. They're swinging for the fences by name shopping, but they're not plugging too many holes.

Welker is a nice get, but really - you had that same player in Stokley. Sure he's gonna wreak havoc inbetween the hashes, but Decker and Thomas are gonna wanna be fed too.

They still need a RB. They just got DRC, but outside of a few decent games he had with Arizona, he hasn't lived up to they hype either.

Can't fault the Broncos though - they're trying, but spending money in the wrong places..

They're falling into the same trap the Jets of 3 years ago did, the Eagles of 2 years ago, and the Bucs of last year. They're swinging for the fences by name shopping, but they're not plugging too many holes.

Welker is a nice get, but really - you had that same player in Stokley. Sure he's gonna wreak havoc inbetween the hashes, but Decker and Thomas are gonna wanna be fed too.

They still need a RB. They just got DRC, but outside of a few decent games he had with Arizona, he hasn't lived up to they hype either.

Can't fault the Broncos though - they're trying, but spending money in the wrong places..

I think they draft a RB . . . . therefore covering all their bases

I'd rather have Amendola for the next 5 years than Welker for the next 2. They could only have one of them and still address the fact they need 2 CBs and a safety in free agency.

Except that Amendola might play in the same number of games across 5 years that Welker plays in the next two...

And much agreed that their defensive backfield needs the most attention. Maybe Asomugha signs there a little cheaper than normal for a shot at the playoffs.

Edited by Tripleshot

Except that Amendola might play in the same number of games across 5 years that Welker plays in the next two...

And much agreed that their defensive backfield needs the most attention. Maybe Asomugha signs there a little cheaper than normal for a shot at the playoffs.

Local Cardinals insiders are saying that the Cardinals are on Asomugha's short list. Wants to play for an established defense, and he's familiar with Todd Bowles' system. Hopefully a change of scenery will do him good!

EDIT: Unsure that you can consider a new coaching regime to have an "established" defense. Just thinking out loud..

Edited by Shorttynaz