[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Julius Thomas

Hat Trick

I know this may sound stupid, but should I pick this guy up? I mean I'd have to drop someone like Sidney Rice or an extra Defense, but is this guy really worth it for the long run? Once again, I feel like this is an automatic yes, but stuff like this happens every week and I don't want jump the gun too quickly. My other TE is Vernon Davis btw.

I know this may sound stupid, but should I pick this guy up? I mean I'd have to drop someone like Sidney Rice or an extra Defense, but is this guy really worth it for the long run? Once again, I feel like this is an automatic yes, but stuff like this happens every week and I don't want jump the gun too quickly. My other TE is Vernon Davis btw.

YES...over a defense 110% over Rice probably 90% yes....You want a piece of the Denver pie

I would even venture to say I would rather have him over Vernon Davis...Davis had 41 catches for 548 yards and 5 tds last year....Thomas will top that...and has way more upside

Edited by dolphindan1

Was 1 of my big sleeper TE's of the year too bad for me I had sat him in 18 leagues tonight but the good news is in the NFFC you don't have to declare your line up until Sunday 1 PM so I will get to start him in the 4 leagues I drafted him there.

Here is the big question I still have 4 drafts to go where does Peyton, Dem Thomas, Welker and Julius Thomas go now ? Way way up the board for sure. Manning went in the 5th round today he will go in the early 2nd tomorrow I am guessing. Welker will move up from a 4th round pick to a late 2nd/early 3rd. Dem Thomas will move up from about mid 2nd to maybe late 1st or just after turn as 2nd or 3rd WR off board instead of his normal 5th/6th WR off board slot. J-Thomas just moved from round 13 to about round 6.

YES...over a defense 110% over Rice probably 90% yes....You want a piece of the Denver pie

I would even venture to say I would rather have him over Vernon Davis...Davis had 41 catches for 548 yards and 5 tds last year....Thomas will top that...and has way more upside

I think my biggest dilemma is that they both have the same BYE week, so eventually I'd have to dump one to make room for a filler in Week 9. or I could just take the loss that week. screw it, I'll just take him since he's on the Broncos and they're gonna run train this season.

I think my biggest dilemma is that they both have the same BYE week, so eventually I'd have to dump one to make room for a filler in Week 9. or I could just take the loss that week. screw it, I'll just take him since he's on the Broncos and they're gonna run train this season.

You got 9 weeks to decide...and its in place of a 2nd defense...IF he flops drop him and get someone else...But I would rather have him and he flops than not have him and he dominates..

I am sure he will have a few down weeks just because, defenses know now, and others on the Bronc will have big weeks...its a big pie but I would wanna slice

Edited by dolphindan1

Was started by the guy in our league who drafted him, over Gresham (who I think he drafted earlier) and Fasano.

Grenaid,

Why even draft and carry a second D unless your league requires it. I feel the same about kickers, get a good one, then make move to cover your buy or to replace them if there's a better option. Use the extra spots for QB/RB/WR/TE depth. In our 12 team league only a couple teams carry 2 D and 2 K, partially because they are cheap and don't want to spend the extra $2 (we charge per roster move) to cover the bye.

Henry Muto,

Surprised there are still leagues that lets you set your roster on Sunday, espeically with a Thursday game every week. So you can always choose to start those guys if they have a big game, and bench them if not.

Henry Muto,

Surprised there are still leagues that lets you set your roster on Sunday, espeically with a Thursday game every week. So you can always choose to start those guys if they have a big game, and bench them if not.

They do this spefically for this reason. It throws interesting wrenches into the draft. They quoted the Kevin Ogletree game a few years ago where he went for 30 in the game - he was being drafted anywhere from the 6th round on down. How early does Manning go knowing you're starting the season with 52? How about Rice? After seeing the touches Pierce got, does he fall? Does Flacco's 23 prompt you to grab him as your backup instead of Palmer? Do you start him over Brees if you drafted both? Romo? Newton? Julian Thomas was already getting talk and love - imagine his ADP knowing not only how good it looks, but that you can get those 30 points? Sounds fun to me.

They do this spefically for this reason. It throws interesting wrenches into the draft. They quoted the Kevin Ogletree game a few years ago where he went for 30 in the game - he was being drafted anywhere from the 6th round on down. How early does Manning go knowing you're starting the season with 52? How about Rice? After seeing the touches Pierce got, does he fall? Does Flacco's 23 prompt you to grab him as your backup instead of Palmer? Do you start him over Brees if you drafted both? Romo? Newton? Julian Thomas was already getting talk and love - imagine his ADP knowing not only how good it looks, but that you can get those 30 points? Sounds fun to me.

I think you're misunderstanding something, what you're talking about is drafting after games have been played. Muto (and I) were talking about starting line-ups not being made until a game is played, every week now that we have a Thursday game all season.

I know that with the holiday weekend, Thursday (or Wednesday) start for the league, and people being in many leagues some drafts will occur after that first game was played. And it does creae some interesting scenarious. But it seems strange to allow starters to be declared after games are played, I could see if it was only for a couple weeks, but not all season long.

Here is the big question I still have 4 drafts to go where does Peyton, Dem Thomas, Welker and Julius Thomas go now ? Way way up the board for sure. Manning went in the 5th round today he will go in the early 2nd tomorrow I am guessing. Welker will move up from a 4th round pick to a late 2nd/early 3rd. Dem Thomas will move up from about mid 2nd to maybe late 1st or just after turn as 2nd or 3rd WR off board instead of his normal 5th/6th WR off board slot. J-Thomas just moved from round 13 to about round 6.

I think you're misunderstanding something, what you're talking about is drafting after games have been played. Muto (and I) were talking about starting line-ups not being made until a game is played, every week now that we have a Thursday game all season.

I was referring to the drafts Muto still has remaining. Maybe I made an incorrect inferrence, but he's wondering where those guys get drafted now. You're not going to see THAT dramatic a result on a guy if you can't start him.

I know that with the holiday weekend, Thursday (or Wednesday) start for the league, and people being in many leagues some drafts will occur after that first game was played. And it does creae some interesting scenarious. But it seems strange to allow starters to be declared after games are played, I could see if it was only for a couple weeks, but not all season long.

It only applies to week 1 for the leagues he's talking about. The drafts are happing between game 1 and Sunday. Its one of the national contests

Was 1 of my big sleeper TE's of the year too bad for me I had sat him in 18 leagues tonight but the good news is in the NFFC you don't have to declare your line up until Sunday 1 PM so I will get to start him in the 4 leagues I drafted him there.

I would say you have those pegged about right Muto.

Grenaid,

Why even draft and carry a second D unless your league requires it. I feel the same about kickers, get a good one, then make move to cover your buy or to replace them if there's a better option. Use the extra spots for QB/RB/WR/TE depth. In our 12 team league only a couple teams carry 2 D and 2 K, partially because they are cheap and don't want to spend the extra $2 (we charge per roster move) to cover the bye.

My league plays 2 Ds. I have Broncos D and Pittsburgh D. I ultimately dropped ATL D, and I'll just pick someone up during BYE weeks and what not. We only start 1 TE and have no Flex spot. We also have a limited number (18) of WW moves for the entire season, so it's necessary to plan accordingly. I'd be dropping and picking up like crazy if it were infinite, without hesitation.

Julius looked big, fast, and sure handed out there. Is he the next big time TE in the mold of Gronk/Graham? Is he worth breaking the waiver bank on? I know there are a lot of mouths to feed on that Denver offense, but he looks like the best red zone target on the team.

Depends on the league, I guess. I have Thomas in roughly one third of my leagues (I'm in more than I care to admit). Didn't start him in any of them, as he's my 3rd or 4th TE in all of them (or at least he was, going into last night). I doubt I'll actively shop him in any of them, either. Of course, they're mostly keeper/dynasty leagues, leagues with premium scoring for TE's (tiered PPR), and/or leagues where we can start 2-3 TE's. So, having at least 2-3 decent TE's is almost a must in those leagues.

But, yeah, if I have him as my TE2 in a standard redraft, with somebody like Graham or Witten ahead of him, I'm going to try to trade him this week, for as much as I can get.

Depends on the league, I guess. I have Thomas in roughly one third of my leagues (I'm in more than I care to admit). Didn't start him in any of them, as he's my 3rd or 4th TE in all of them (or at least he was, going into last night). I doubt I'll actively shop him in any of them, either. Of course, they're mostly keeper/dynasty leagues, leagues with premium scoring for TE's (tiered PPR), and/or leagues where we can start 2-3 TE's. So, having at least 2-3 decent TE's is almost a must in those leagues.

But, yeah, if I have him as my TE2 in a standard redraft, with somebody like Graham or Witten ahead of him, I'm going to try to trade him this week, for as much as I can get.

Keeper/dynasty are different animals....redrafts, I still think you have to try to sell HIGH (not just high but very high)

It only applies to week 1 for the leagues he's talking about. The drafts are happing between game 1 and Sunday. Its one of the national contests

Gotcha, not familiar with those leagues and his post didn't specify it was one week, just "until Sunday at 1PM".

My league plays 2 Ds. I have Broncos D and Pittsburgh D. I ultimately dropped ATL D, and I'll just pick someone up during BYE weeks and what not. We only start 1 TE and have no Flex spot. We also have a limited number (18) of WW moves for the entire season, so it's necessary to plan accordingly. I'd be dropping and picking up like crazy if it were infinite, without hesitation.

You should mention that you play 2 Ds since that isn't standard, when discussing roster moves that might include cutting your second D.

Keeper/dynasty are different animals....redrafts, I still think you have to try to sell HIGH (not just high but very high)

Yeah, I agree with that, as long as your better option is a pretty sure thing (I would probably add Gonzo to that group). But, there are a bunch of TE's in the top 15 who I would argue have a lot of question marks, either because they're young and/or relatively unproven (Cook, Cameron, Fred Davis, to name a few), or because they've been inconsistent and/or injured in the past... Vernon Davis, Gates, Gronk, Rudolph, etc. So, yeah, I'd trade him if somebody blew me away with an offer I couldn't refuse, or if I had Graham, Witten, or Gonzalez in front of him. But, I'm not sure I'm confortable trading the guy if my other option is Vernon Davis (who can disappear for 2-3 weeks at a time), Gronk (who nobody knows how healthy he is), or even guys like Olsen/Daniels, when there's a good chance the guy I'm trading might easily outscore them this year.

If I thought this week is a total fluke, and he doesn't have a shot at cracking the top ten, then I trade him regardless, I guess. But, to me, last night shows that Thomas deserves to be in that same group of TE's (who all have a certain amount of risk/uncertainty). The only difference is that he's on a more dynamic passing offense than any of them, arguably.

I'm in a 14 team IDP league and I drafted Thomas late as my TE2. I drafted Graham as my starter and I'll continue to use Graham as my starter. What do you think I can get for Thomas at this point? I am weak at WR, below is my roster. Would trying to get someone like Antonio Brown be asking too much?

Also, unfortunately I can't play two TE's in my league.

QB Andrew Luck

WR Cecil Shorts

RB Adrian Peterson

TE Jimmy Graham

W/R David Wilson

W/R Lamar Miller

W/R Kenbrell Thompkins

K Randy Bullock

D James Laurinaitis

D Paul Posluszny

D Lavonte David

BN Ben Roethlisberger

BN Chris Givens

BN Bryce Brown

BN Julius Thomas

BN Quinton Patton

BN Mike Tolbert

BN Jerod Mayo

•  

Edited by efranklin

I will of course have to wait until all of the other games are played, but I am trying to figure out if JT is worth burning my #1 WW priority in a redraft league. Watching the game, I think that he is on par with Graham/Gronk in terms of talent. The big (and basically unanswerable) question is whether or not he will see consistent opportunities. If he is likely to get 5 or more targets a week then he would be a top 5 TE I think.

It might be, but if you're going to get Brown for Thomas, now is the best time to try. Thomas' value is sky-rocketing, while Brown's will go up (in my opinion), but hasn't yet.

I agree now is the best time to trade. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Edited by efranklin