[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is anyone else's interest waining for professional football?

snoop2

Have you ever watched little kids play football??? It consist of one little fellow running with the ball and 21 other players chasing behind him. lol, it is hilarious and the kids have a blast and have a chance to learn basic fundamentals about blocking and tackling properly. But anyway, like I said earlier...I was hurt in every sport I played besides football and I was a all-conference tight end, so I didn't ride the pine. If you play in the post in basketball it is extremely physical if played hard and there is every bit the same risk of injury imo.

But yeah, soccer does suck....

Yes - and my eldest played for a little while. Two of his buddies sustained multiple concussions before they were in 4th grade - they'll never play again (on doctor's orders). Concussions are the difference - I'm not talking about knee/ankle injuries here because, yeah - those happen in every sport.

How is your fantasy soccer team doing Jack?

That doesnt have a damn thing to do with whether or not soccer is a good sport for kids to play.

You keep asserting that the only kids who play are pansies, and I have told you twice now that you dont know what the chives you are talking about. That "soccer is for wimps" thesis of yours might be true out in BFE, but it is an extremely competitive sport here on the east coast.

Have you ever heard of lacrosse?

That doesnt have a damn thing to do with whether or not soccer is a good sport for kids to play.

You keep asserting that the only kids who play are pansies, and I have told you twice now that you dont know what the chives you are talking about. That "soccer is for wimps" thesis of yours might be true out in BFE, but it is an extremely competitive sport here on the east coast.

My friend, I have a cousin that played soccer on the junior Olympic team. So I know a good bit about it. Go find a soccer thread PLEASE!!!!

My friend, I have a cousin that played soccer on the junior Olympic team. So I know a good bit about it. Go find a soccer thread PLEASE!!!!

I have played soccer my entire life and you don't know what you are talking about cousin or not.

Soccer is extremely boring to watch but incredible fun to play.

It is as physical as American Football? Of course not, but you are sore and hurt when a game is over and you will get in great shape and diving doesn't exist until you go pro (or maybe semi-pro).

injuries occur in all sports. nature of, and severity are a much higher concern in football. add to that the prevalence PE's and that is not an activity i would want my child to participate in. as for recreational (casual) playing and watching...very fun sport.

Idk, I just don't notice anyone that I grew up with struggling with life because they played football growing up.... We are raising a generation of pansies, everything is overblown and the culture is to overexagerate everything(including injuries). What happened to kids climbing trees and falling out without the neighborhood freaking out? I could understand a bunch of women sounding like what I read on here, but c'mon guys...let your kids have fun while they are still kids...they grow up way to fast!

The kids who aren't tough enough to play football need a sport to play too, so I won't complain about soccer too much. I played both for quite a long time, so I can say without pause that soccer players have no justification whatsoever for claiming their sport is tough or physical. It is more physical than baseball, I'll give them that.

As much as I received from my football career, especially mentally, I don't think I'm going to let my son play. Just isn't worth it. I have almost constant headaches and knees that take an hour to wake up, and I'm only 34.

As far as football, my interest in the Seahawks hasn't waned a whole lot, although my emotions aren't affected by them nearly as much as they were. I really don't watch many of the other games anymore though. I'll tune-in on a Monday night, but inevitably end up working on my computer or cleaning or simply lose interest in the game.

Edited by Seahawks21

BA brought up soccer, thanks

I brought it up in a list of several other sports that I would prefer my sons to play in lieu of football. You are the one the one that started in with the soccer is for kids who cant play other sports bullchives.

Idk, I just don't notice anyone that I grew up with struggling with life because they played football growing up.... We are raising a generation of pansies, everything is overblown and the culture is to overexagerate everything(including injuries). What happened to kids climbing trees and falling out without the neighborhood freaking out? I could understand a bunch of women sounding like what I read on here, but c'mon guys...let your kids have fun while they are still kids...they grow up way to fast!

I agree with you on a lot of these points. Kids need to take lumps and learn for themselves. But football is a different game than it used to be. It has always been rough, but now you have kids on roids launching themselves like missiles. Coaches today encourage it too because they are only concerned with winning and getting to the next level. When I was growing up, high school coaches had real full time jobs and they taught up how to play the game right.

When I was growing up, high school coaches had real full time jobs and they taught up how to play the game right.

Where i was, the HC was also a full-time teacher at the school, plus he taught that football was more about life and more than just the final score.

• Like 2

There is a forum for that.

A generation of pansies or a generation of progressives? Feel like the classic "old geezer, back in my day" guy yet? Jeez. Saying everything is overblown is overblowing your own point. And if you don't think it's important to emphasize the importance of proper treatment and procedure of injuries, well, ask a guy like Junior Seau how he feels on that issue. Oh wait...maybe we should learn from our mistakes and try to make the most dangerous activity kids play a tad safer? I had many many other ways of having fun as a kid without ever getting a concussion or launching myself headfirst at other kids wearing a helmet.

I brought it up in a list of several other sports that I would prefer my sons to play in lieu of football. You are the one the one that started in with the soccer is for kids who cant play other sports bullchives.

If I had a kid I would not let them play football. Hundreds of other activities that are out there that aren't nearly as potentially fatal to their future. One nasty hit is all it takes...

As for the state of the game...I hate the instant replay changes. Hate them. When a turnover happens, I have about three seconds to bask in the glory of whatever crazy/athletic/absurd/crucial play just happened before worrying if it's going to be automatically reviewed. The announcers start talking about the review before they even say a word about the actual turnover's significance. The constant trips to the booth, for some reason, are the most painful part of watching a game...If coaches had three challenges each I think that would be the happy medium everyone wants.

As far as the player protection rules I am torn. I understand the necessity of making the game safer but it does feel like watching Madden football out there once in a while...gone are the days of a truly dominant defense and I think the statement defense wins championships no longer rings true....a franchise QB with mediocre D wins championships in today's league.

the most annoying thing to me at the college/pro level is receivers motioning to the ref for a flag after every incompletion..just catch the damn ball. that and every player acting like they won the SB after making a routine tackle..especially when their team is down 20

Amen to that. The worst is when a safety is celebrating after a big hit on a running back who just gashed the defense for 18 yards and a first down.

(sorry for the novel)

I still love the NFL as much as I always did. That will never change unless they turn it into two hand touch. The athleticism present in the NFL, seeing the best of the best in high school get recruited to college, seeing those guys tear it up, then seeing the best of that crop perform at the NFL level, both at the coaching and the playing standpoint...it will always entertain me.

I have no doubt, I will always find these guys to be the most fascinating, the most watchable human beings on the planet. I love me some football. I love to see it played at the highest level.

As far as injuries and all that goes...man, you know you could die or get horribly maimed tomorrow crossing the street. Would I let my son play? If he really, really, REALLY wants it, and shows that passion for it, damn right I'm going to encourage him to do it. Would you let your kid join the military (or more specifically, the fighting military) if that's what he's truly passionate about? Would you "let" him get into roughnecking on an oil rig for a profession? I'd say that's just as dangerous, without the chance for the most celebrated life in this screwed up country. I definitely won't press my son into it anymore than he WANTS to take it. No more than I would pressure him to turn over beakers in a chem lab unless that's what he REALLY wants to do. I AM going to encourage punting with him as much as possible. I'd love to have the next pre-positioned Shane Lechler on my hands. Marinovich, you have your destined QB. I have my destined Lechler. Get those millions and accolades for the least stressful and least dangerous position at the biggest stage in life. That's my advice.

As for me ... I had a choice in life. I was decent in sports as a kid. I threw shutouts in Dixie Youth little league. Yeah. But my passion was football. I loved football. I simulated booting field goals between two old oak trees from what seemed like 60 yards at the time, every day, every night. Always boomed punts from one end of my front yard to the other, for hours at a time. Passed the ball to myself, supposed sixty yard bombs to myself, time after time after time. Imagining the thrill of catching those bombs and hearing the crowd roar. Playing 4 on 4 football with my lil' buddy neighborhood kids and running out of my front door with a Raiders helmet on that my mommy ordered from the Sears catalog. Dreaming I was Herschel, Bo, or heck, even Robbie Bosco.

But when it came time for us to try out for JV football, I let "friends" tell me not to play because, in my school, only the black kids played football. Soccer was the game for us gentrified whities. I actually believed that garbage and probably missed out on something I was truly passionate about because others told me it wasn't for me. I still shake my head, 20 years later. Kicking myself for letting others tell me I shouldn't do what I wanted to do.

So yeah, those twenty years later, throughout soccer camps, and rugby in college (in which 12 people showed up to watch), onto a successful desk jockeying career now, I still look back and wonder ... what if?

I never f*cking want my son to wonder, "what if?" That's all I'm looking to instill in him. Follow your damn dreams, son. Follow what you love. I hope he sees football the same way I do. If he instead sees beaker pouring in the same way, so be it.

I'll still love the NFL. It is the cream of those who followed their dream, at the highest, most recognized level in this nation, whether you like it or not. And WE all like it. Don't f*ck it up, Goodell.

Edited by WildTurkey