[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time to get rid of Boldin?

Geo33

I've been thinking this for a while, and figured its a good time to get everyone's take on it.

With Manningham and Crabtree set to return at some point in the next month or so (I think), do you guys think its time to say farewell to Boldin? I for one think that his production will decrease, or at least become less consistent when these two guys come back. In my own situation, (not looking for advice) I need to get rid of a player to free up a roster spot for bye weeks, so I was thinking about packaging him with a guy like Mendenhall for a wr of similar caliber. As much as I like Boldin, I just feel like it needs to be done. I also think his value goes down with San Fran seemingly going back to their ground and pound ways.

What do you guys think? I know this might sound like it belongs in the advice column, but I'm actually just curious to what everyone thinks here. Plus this thread is way better anyway.

Yeah, I wouldn't get rid of him. Look at Denver. Welker is the #3 WR on that team, and yet he has more fantasy production than the #1 and #2.

He also has arguably the best QB to ever play the game throwing to him on a team that passes a lot. As oppose to Kaepernick and the ground and pound niners..

He also has arguably the best QB to ever play the game throwing to him on a team that passes a lot. As oppose to Kaepernick and the ground and pound niners..

Yes I know the circumstances are far different. I was just showing how he could potentially still be a solid fantasy option at WR. Will he produce like Welker? Probably not. He doesn't produce like Welker as a #1 WR, but he still could potentially be a WR3 or back-up. I wouldn't toss him just yet. I would wait and see...

That's a terrible comparison.

Agree... Denver is not an apt comparison.

Dez is by far the #1 guy in DAL with Witten being a chains-mover. There's room for a 2nd WR to be productive but it'll be spotty at best.

And I'd argue Welker is SOMETIMES the team's #1a while Thomas is the #1b. That can change based on opponent, situation, etc.

Anyways, moving on since it's a moot point...

Did you confuse your threads?

:lol: Yes.

As for this situation, I'd avoid it. No one knows how Crabtree will be when he returns. As a fellow Achilles tear repair veteran, I know it's no joke.

I think SFO goes back to the ground game with the occasional situation where Kaepernick throws a bunch. In that case, I'd trust Davis and Crabtree (depending on when/if he returns to 100%) before Boldin.

Boldin is money... A move-the-chains guy who has been a favorite target where ever he's played. Granted, he can be up and down (and he tends to score his TD's in bunches), but he's still not as inconsistent as Davis, who seemingly disappears for a month at a time. No way would I get rid of Boldin based on Crabtree returning. If anything, it might help open up the passing game (since they currently are limited to really just two legitimate receiving options). Manningham is an afterthought/non-factor (think Williams in Dallas when Austin was healthy, but on a much less pass-happy offense).

Just like Decker, I licked my chops all pre-season when people were discounting Boldin as a fantasy non-factor. Boldin currently has has 24 catches for 372 yards (on pace for roughly 75/1150/6), while the other five SF wideouts have combined for 13 catches for 112 yards. He's also got nearly twice as many targets (42) and catches (26) as Davis (24 and 14, respectively). Davis does have 4 TD's to Boldin's 2, but Boldin is clearly Kaepernick's #1 option, and it's not even close.

Also, there is no guarantee that Crabtree even returns this season. Sure, they're hopeful that he does, and the prognosis so far looks good. But, best case scenario is what... Week 11-12? It's highly unlikely that the guy comes in and steals the show immediately. He'll be a factor, but again, I think that might help Boldin, if anything.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying Boldin is a FF WR1, by any means. But, I'm thrilled to have him as my WR3 in a couple of leagues, and I don't think that changes this year, whether Crabtree and/or Manningham return or not.

:lol: Yes.

As a fellow Achilles tear repair veteran, I know it's no joke.

Same here. Even being a world class athlete in supreme condition, I don't see how he comes back this fast, unless his achilles tear was only partial. Mine was a complete rupture and took for bloody ever to just get back to normal ability again.

Same here. Even being a world class athlete in supreme condition, I don't see how he comes back this fast, unless his achilles tear was only partial. Mine was a complete rupture and took for bloody ever to just get back to normal ability again.

+1, complete rupture and I was on crutches for 6 weeks, in a walking boot for another 6 weeks and in physical therapy for 3 months. I've only stepped on the basketball court once since then. I've played plenty of kickball :woot::brew: but I don't know if I'll ever play competitive basketball again. And this saddens me. :sad:

+1, complete rupture and I was on crutches for 6 weeks, in a walking boot for another 6 weeks and in physical therapy for 3 months. I've only stepped on the basketball court once since then. I've played plenty of kickball :woot::brew: but I don't know if I'll ever play competitive basketball again. And this saddens me. :sad:

I never got back to 100%. I spent 8 weeks in a cast/on crutches and 6 more in a walker boot. Which felt like heaven after all that time in the cast. Just being able to take a shower again seemed like a luxury. I remember when they told me I could run/jog again(I've been a runner since middle school). I went out for an easy 2-3 mile run and didnt get past the first half mile. My gait changed because I could no longer get the same push off the ball of my foot that had the achilles rupture. I felt like friggin Lurch running - step, clomp, step, clomp. I can still play basketball well enough, I've just lost a little bit off quickness when pushing off that foot. My issue with basketball is more related to being old and fat now(gained weight because I stopped running) than my achilles. Hang in there with playing basketball. You may just have to get comfortable with playing at 80% of your old self. At least you're still playing.

I never got back to 100%. I spent 8 weeks in a cast/on crutches and 6 more in a walker boot. Which felt like heaven after all that time in the cast. Just being able to take a shower again seemed like a luxury. I remember when they told me I could run/jog again(I've been a runner since middle school). I went out for an easy 2-3 mile run and didnt get past the first half mile. My gait changed because I could no longer get the same push off the ball of my foot that had the achilles rupture. I felt like friggin Lurch running - step, clomp, step, clomp. I can still play basketball well enough, I've just lost a little bit off quickness when pushing off that foot. My issue with basketball is more related to being old and fat now(gained weight because I stopped running) than my achilles. Hang in there with playing basketball. You may just have to get comfortable with playing at 80% of your old self. At least you're still playing.

I got ripped (or as ripped as a fatass can get) when I was on those crutches. And it was nice having a new girlfriend, a retired dad and a concerned mother all within a couple of miles. :lol:

I was playing kickball 1 night a week for probably 2-3 years in Texas but that was 2-3 years ago. I haven't done anything physical outside of jogging my kid around the lake since then. That said, my Achilles doesn't bother me in the least.

On topic, I just don't see how any athlete can come back from this kind of injury in less than a year. Kobe Bryant is trying to do the same thing. I forget who it was but he was on the Denver Nuggets... did the same thing and he tried to come back after 6 months and flamed out.

I'd proceed with caution with Crabtree.

I got ripped (or as ripped as a fatass can get) when I was on those crutches. And it was nice having a new girlfriend, a retired dad and a concerned mother all within a couple of miles. :lol:

I was playing kickball 1 night a week for probably 2-3 years in Texas but that was 2-3 years ago. I haven't done anything physical outside of jogging my kid around the lake since then. That said, my Achilles doesn't bother me in the least.

On topic, I just don't see how any athlete can come back from this kind of injury in less than a year. Kobe Bryant is trying to do the same thing. I forget who it was but he was on the Denver Nuggets... did the same thing and he tried to come back after 6 months and flamed out.

I'd proceed with caution with Crabtree.

My wife gave me bedbaths every morning the entire time I was in a cast. Being married to an nurse has its benefits(even if she refuses to roleplay the naughty nurse...).

Age Group?

Age Group?

You also have to consider the resources that someone who makes millions has and they have cutting edge medicine availablw for those willing to take the leap...

Yes, ok, so maybe the guy is 5 years younger than me than when I blew out my achilles, has much better genetics, has a full-time physical therapist, possibly went to Switzerland for top secret treatment a'la Sidney Rice, probably sleeps in a hyperbolic chamber at night, has taken a whole herd's worth of deer antler spray and more hgh than ARod over his career. It's still one damn tough injury to come back from because there just isn't a lot of blood flow to the achilles to help promote healing faster. But after watching AP, RGIII and Chris Clemons come back from torn ACL's in record time, maybe anything is possible anymore.

Yes, ok, so maybe the guy is 5 years younger than me than when I blew out my achilles, has much better genetics, has a full-time physical therapist, possibly went to Switzerland for top secret treatment a'la Sidney Rice, probably sleeps in a hyperbolic chamber at night, has taken a whole herd's worth of deer antler spray and more hgh than ARod over his career. It's still one damn tough injury to come back from because there just isn't a lot of blood flow to the achilles to help promote healing faster. But after watching AP, RGIII and Chris Clemons come back from torn ACL's in record time, maybe anything is possible anymore.

I am not doubting that...I am just saying that for starters he is a millionaire athlete who is putting forth all of his energy to coming back asap...a lot of players today are lazy and he isn't one of them...plus the resources he has makes his injury unlike yours because he is fortunate in every sense of the word here...

Medicine has come a long way...I mean 10 y3ars ago a torn acl has devastated careers if not ended and now players are coming back next season like nothing happened...I know that this injury is a tough sumbitch to come back from but I don't think you can compare your injury to his becaus3 I will likely say off hand that you had it at least 10x worse than he does....

Kickball? I haven't played that since I was in elementary school. Didn't realize adults played that. Is it competitive or just for fun?

Back OT I've heard similar from people with achilles injuries, my oldest brother (now almost 65) injured his as a kid (cut it while pulling a wagon) and was never the same.

Man you are scary good. Before I spent time in the tailgate section much. Funny thing is I grew up in LA and we did play a lot of kickball in school.

Darin sounds like one competitive SOB.

PS Classic tailgate thread, thanks for wasting the rest of my morning ;)