[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Gordon suspended for 2014-15?

CaptainHook

pretty much. But there are lawyers involved so the amount of billable hours has to be padded

My understanding is that all the negotiating is done and it is just a wait for a decision. The lawyers got all of their money on Friday and Monday and now we could possibly wait three weeks for the NFL to make a simple decision. In most capital murder cases a jury wouldn't be out that long. This is about a guy smoking Josh Gordon which is legal in two states. Ray Rice got 2 weeks for cold cocking his girlfriend and that is not legal in any state!

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 2

My understanding is that all the negotiating is done and it is just a wait for a decision. The lawyers got all of their money on Friday and Monday and now we could possibly wait three weeks for the NFL to make a simple decision. In most capital murder cases a jury wouldn't be out that long. This is about a guy smoking Josh Gordon which is legal in two states. Ray Rice got 2 weeks for cold cocking his girlfriend and that is not legal in any state!

Can we quit with the irrelevant points. Pot being legal in two states has no bearing on this. Even if it were legal in every state, he has set of rules he agreed to for his job. If my job contract says no drinking and I get caught breaking the rule I am wrong, not my employer. And I believe I've expressed my views on the Rice suspension and its complete irrelavance to this issue a million times.

Allegedly

Or being stupid enough to hang out with people smoking Josh Gordon and get a contact high/positive test result that puts his career at risk.

Ultimately this boils down to a controlled test, that he failed. They need to decide if the test was faulty, or there are other grounds to dismiss it as invalid.

Can we quit with the irrelevant points. Pot being legal in two states has no bearing on this. Even if it were legal in every state, he has set of rules he agreed to for his job. If my job contract says no drinking and I get caught breaking the rule I am wrong, not my employer. And I believe I've expressed my views on the Rice suspension and its complete irrelavance to this issue a million times.

Or being stupid enough to hang out with people smoking Josh Gordon and get a contact high/positive test result that puts his career at risk.

Ultimately this boils down to a controlled test, that he failed. They need to decide if the test was faulty, or there are other grounds to dismiss it as invalid.

Sorry! I haven't followed all of your posts, nor did I realize that you are the moderator of this thread.

• Like 1

Sorry! I haven't followed all of your posts,

Is that even possible?

In actual Gordon news.....

Per Rotoworld- Looks like the lawyers aren't done or actually haven't even started bargaining

Profootballtalk reports the sides have yet to discuss a settlement in the Josh Gordon suspension appeal.

It means the case is still an all-or-nothing proposition for Gordon, who is staring at a year-long suspension or no ban at all if a settlement isn't reached. There's still time for the sides to come to the bargaining table, but it's not a great sign for Gordon that talks have yet to take place. It's possible the league isn't interested in a deal.

Is that even possible?

Per Rotoworld- Looks like the lawyers aren't done or actually haven't even started bargaining

Well then I stand corrected on the lawyer issue, thanks for the info.

Edited by Scorcher

Sorry! I haven't followed all of your posts, nor did I realize that you are the moderator of this thread.

Whatever, just getting tired of people using the "but pot is legal in 2 states" argument, it is nonsense and is like telling your parents "but Bobby gets to do that." But you and many others (here and in other places) think it matters and keep raising that point, so I voiced my opinion. I'm not the moderator and neither are you.

Profootballtalk reports the sides have yet to discuss a settlement in the Josh Gordon suspension appeal.

It means the case is still an all-or-nothing proposition for Gordon, who is staring at a year-long suspension or no ban at all if a settlement isn't reached. There's still time for the sides to come to the bargaining table, but it's not a great sign for Gordon that talks have yet to take place. It's possible the league isn't interested in a deal.

Actual Gordon news, you mean PFT reporting on no settlement discussions when there has never been talk from the NFL side of a settlement. Just more speculation and media frenzy, the Gordon camp trying to play victim (they won't even negotiate a settlement). As somebody else said, a simple yay or nay (test resutls and violation of the rules stand or not) is all that should be expected. Could something else happen, sure almost anything is possible, doesn't make it likely.

"Whatever, just getting tired of people using the "but pot is legal in 2 states" argument, it is nonsense and is like telling your parents "but Bobby gets to do that." But you and many others (here and in other places) think it matters and keep raising that point, so I voiced my opinion. I'm not the moderator and neither are you." quote from Stevegrab

Here's something you might not be aware of;this is a public forum which means any one can post whatever they want.... and yes that includes you. When you come off like you're the Dalai Lama and once you've said something everyone else should cease and desist because you have spoken; you present yourself as some kind of self proclaimed omniscient jerk. How about if you respond to people without the supercilious attitude?

Edited by Scorcher

To be honest, I didn't interpret steve's "I've expressed my views ont the rice situation before" as a "come on why are you even saying that" type of response, rather a reason to not re-type his opinion yet again. I didn't feel a sense of superiority, but then again I wasn't the one being talked to.

Back on topic, I agree with seth that if he does manage to get out of a year-long suspension and only gets a reduced suspension, I wouldn't mind stashing him away for later. If he gets out of his suspension altogether, I don't think I would touch him. The dumbasses I draft with in some of my local leagues would buy super high even though he's bound for more trouble.

Edited by bud29
  • Like 2

Almost every player that has appealed/contested the chargers against themselves have almost always got a reduced sentence. I am expecting Gordon to be suspended 8-12 games. I will be happy taking him as my #4 or #5 WR.

Care to provide some examples, where they were in stage 3 of the drug program, failed a test, appealed and then had a reduced suspension? I cannot remember any, nor have they been brought up in the previous dicsussions of Gordon. Don't see how it could be almost every player yet they're not mentioned.

Here's something you might not be aware of;this is a public forum which means any one can post whatever they want.... and yes that includes you. When you come off like you're the Dalai Lama and once you've said something everyone else should cease and desist because you have spoken; you present yourself as some kind of self proclaimed omniscient jerk. How about if you respond to people without the supercilious attitude?

I am fully aware of it being a public forum and you can post anything you want. If you want to keep raising points that have no relevance I cannot stop you. It just sounds assinine to me, that people think pot being legal in 2 states means the NFL cannot suspend him for failing a test that is part of a policy he agreed to as a player. I won't waste my time explaining it, since you obviously don't get it.

PS Bud29 is correct, my point about RIce suspension was I've made that point several other times, and I know I'm in the minority and wasn't going to bother explaining myself again to be ripped as a women hater. Not that my opinion is the end of discussion on the topic.

No one that I know of has failed a Stage 3 Drug Test that I am aware of. Remember Josh Gordon hired the same attorney that got Richard Shermans Drug suspension of 4-games overturned claiming it was a faulty Drug Test. Once again he is using the same tactic comparing the Bottles...I am sure you have read about the A bottle and B bottle and how the test is conducted..

If not, you can review it here: http://profootballta...b-bottle-tests/

Failed drug test over turned is not a reduced suspension, it is an overturned fail test and no suspension. That is what I expect, either they overturn the result and not suspenion, or they uphold it and he sits out the full year. All this talk of a negotiation, settlement, reduced suspension is just that, talk.

Read that article before, nothing in their that convinces me a suspension of less than 1 year will happen.

And since nobody has failed a stage 3 test and then negotiated a less than 1 year suspension why do you and so many others think it is likely?

• 3 weeks later...

No news, but I will share the most interesting opinion that I have seen (now that I'm done drafting against you guys).

http://fieldandcourt.com/component/k2/item/246-what-to-expect-if-josh-gordon-loses-his-appeal.html

Now I feel even better about sniping you!

No news, but I will share the most interesting opinion that I have seen (now that I'm done drafting against you guys).

http://fieldandcourt.com/component/k2/item/246-what-to-expect-if-josh-gordon-loses-his-appeal.html

Interesting read.

People should not lose sight of the fact the pending suspension for Josh Gordon is not the only thing hanging over Gordon. Even if he's able to wriggle out of that, he's still got to face the music on the DUI. I believe Gordon was also stopped by the cops on a separate occasion and Josh Gordon was found on his companion. Both of those things happened when Gordon was already in hot water for the failed drug test and this is ALL less than a year after he got a 2 game suspension for testing positive for codeine. And this is ALL after he got in trouble in college for drugs. Even if Gordon wins the appeal (or stalls it out), I suspect Goodell will come down as hard as he can on Gordon for the DUI as it would appear Gordon is just not willing to abide by the rules and definitely does not appear to be learning any lessons from all of this.

To me, the question is not IF Gordon will be suspended. It's just WHEN will it start and how many games will it last.

Edited by Delicious_bass

Interesting read.

People should not lose sight of the fact the pending suspension for Josh Gordon is not the only thing hanging over Gordon. Even if he's able to wriggle out of that, he's still got to face the music on the DUI. I believe Gordon was also stopped by the cops on a separate occasion and Josh Gordon was found on his companion. Both of those things happened when Gordon was already in hot water for the failed drug test and this is ALL less than a year after he got a 2 game suspension for testing positive for codeine. And this is ALL after he got in trouble in college for drugs. Even if Gordon wins the appeal (or stalls it out), I suspect Goodell will come down as hard as he can on Gordon for the DUI as it would appear Gordon is just not willing to abide by the rules and definitely does not appear to be learning any lessons from all of this.

To me, the question is not IF Gordon will be suspended. It's just WHEN will it start and how many games will it last.

Agreed. Even if the Josh Gordon violation gets hung up in court, he'll get at least 4 games for the DUI. Then again, perhaps he can put that one off until after the season as well. Eventually he'll be paying the piper, but it's not unconveivable that it's next year and he plays this year.

Agreed. Even if the Josh Gordon violation gets hung up in court, he'll get at least 4 games for the DUI. Then again, perhaps he can put that one off until after the season as well. Eventually he'll be paying the piper, but it's not unconveivable that it's next year and he plays this year.

Did Lynch ever end up missing any games for his DUI? That thing was tied up forever and seemed to just go away.

Not the same as a repeat offender like Gordon, but just an example of how due process can erode the consequences.

Did Lynch ever end up missing any games for his DUI? That thing was tied up forever and seemed to just go away.

Not the same as a repeat offender like Gordon, but just an example of how due process can erode the consequences.

I think Lynch ended up plea-bargaining to a significantly lesser charge, perhaps one that isn't a ban-worthy offense? I may have to call into one of the local sports talk stations and find out what exactly happened.

Edited by Tripleshot

I think Lynch ended up plea-bargaining to a significantly lesser charge, perhaps one that isn't a ban-worthy offense? I may have to call into one of the local sports talk stations and find out what exactly happened.

And that is exactly what is going to happen with Gordon's DUI, he blew a .09 as I recall and the customary practice in most cases (including the area of NC where it happened based on reports). The question becomes can they still suspend him for that, or the other issue with his passenger having pot.

What drives me nuts is it has been almost 3 weeks now since the appeal hearing was complete. WTF is taking so long. I'd hate to have to be making a decision on him for fantasy football purposes. Sure you can assume he'll miss all or part of the season (say first half). Looks like the team decided to prepare more for not havling him since he didn't play in the 3rd pre-season game.

And that is exactly what is going to happen with Gordon's DUI, he blew a .09 as I recall and the customary practice in most cases (including the area of NC where it happened based on reports). The question becomes can they still suspend him for that, or the other issue with his passenger having pot.

What drives me nuts is it has been almost 3 weeks now since the appeal hearing was complete. WTF is taking so long. I'd hate to have to be making a decision on him for fantasy football purposes. Sure you can assume he'll miss all or part of the season (say first half). Looks like the team decided to prepare more for not havling him since he didn't play in the 3rd pre-season game.

I think they are going to wait until they know every FFB draft has been completed.

Man ... not sure if I want an announcement before my primary Wednesday auction draft or not.

If I take a flyer on him ... it would be for $1-2 ... if they announce he's done for the year, I'm confident I could grab a capable replacement ...

Then again, if they announce today or tomorrow that he's going to only be suspended for 4 games ... his value shoots up and I won't be able to grab that steal.

Because there hasn't been an announcement yet, he fell to the 12th round in one of my drafts last night, so was able to take a flyer on him without too much concern. If it's only a 4 game suspension, then I'm golden. If it's the whole season, I didn't lose much.

Man ... not sure if I want an announcement before my primary Wednesday auction draft or not.

If I take a flyer on him ... it would be for $1-2 ... if they announce he's done for the year, I'm confident I could grab a capable replacement ...

Then again, if they announce today or tomorrow that he's going to only be suspended for 4 games ... his value shoots up and I won't be able to grab that steal.

He's getting at least 8 games. Methinks that is the best he can hope for.