[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Gordon suspended for 2014-15?

CaptainHook

We had to declare our keepers by midnight last night (there are no limits to how long, and all teams must keep 5). The owner in our league wisely didn't keep him.

I agree he will most likely be suspended, at least 8 games, maybe the whole year. Just seems strange it is taking this long and leaves some lingering doubt that he is suspended to start the season.

I assume there will have to be a decision before our draft which is a week from tonight. Even then with our keeper format I could see somebody drafting and stashing him all season. If not he should get signed by a team later in the year and held for his potential value in 2015.

I believe the suspension is for one season (not one actual year) and he'll be allowed to apply for resinstatement after this season is over (after the SB) and hopefully he can come back in spring for training camp and such.

Real worry is how he spends the next 6 months, staying out of trouble, drug free, not driving around drunk and with people carrying Josh Gordon.

regarding the linked article and talks of a lawsuit

I personally don't think a legal case can be made to overturn the NFL ruling, or even grant temporary halt to their actions while a case is argued in court. Ohio drug testing laws have no relevance to this case. And the part about the NFLPA and NFL not suing each other only applying to the CBA and not the drug abuse policy seems bogus, because that policy is part of the CBA.

Not sure why Ohio labor law wouldn't be applicable to an employee (Gordon) working for a company headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio (The Browns).

Companies (teams) and professional associations (NFL) are not permitted to institute policies that violate the labor laws of the territories in which they operate.

His reaction was classic... heard it on Rome on my way in to work..."I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn't exercise better discretion and judgment in my case"

Exercise better discretion and judgment? :lol:

Hypocritical much?

And yeah, before LorDopie comes in here preening like a little 12 year old girl, several folks here (including myself) were obviously off-base when we said a year-long ban was pretty unlikely.

The NFL's policy on Josh Gordon is completely asenine. Especially when you have jerkwads like Ray Rice beating his fiance' (on tape) and only getting a 2-game ban.

Yes, Gordon is a flipping idiot that knew the rules but decided to break them anyways.... but the NFL really needs to take a long and hard look at what's most important in terms of penalizing players for wrong-doings.

Finally, let's hope that Gordon gets the help he needs since it'll probably be a cold day in Hell before the NFL makes major changes to their recreational drug policies.

Bump Charles Johnson and Andrew Hawkins in your redraft rankings every so slightly.

Edited by darin3
  • Like 1

Not sure why Ohio labor law wouldn't be applicable to an employee (Gordon) working for a company headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio (The Browns).

Companies (teams) and professional associations (NFL) are not permitted to institute policies that violate the labor laws of the territories in which they operate.

So the drug testing policies of the state of Ohio would override those of the NFL substance abuse policy? And nobody has ever pursued that angle before? How it that the NFL can make PEDs against their rules and punish players, are they illegal in Ohio and every other state where an NFL team is HQ?

Just sounds like another last ditch effort (and all rumor at this point, I may believe it more if a lawsuit is filed).

Maybe I'm just tired of all the drama and indecision and want it over with. Bring on football games, this off season has been too much.

The NFL's infraction and punishment policies are completely random & asinine. Especially when you have jerkwads like Ray Rice beating his fiance' (on tape) and only getting a 2-game ban.

ftfy :smash:

Oh wait... Don't listen to me, I just hate Goodell.

His reaction was classic... heard it on Rome on my way in to work..."I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn't exercise better discretion and judgment in my case"

Exercise better discretion and judgment? :lol:

Hypocritical much?

And yeah, before LorDopie comes in here preening like a little 12 year old girl, several folks here (including myself) were obviously off-base when we said a year-long ban was pretty unlikely.

The NFL's policy on Josh Gordon is completely asenine. Especially when you have jerkwads like Ray Rice beating his fiance' (on tape) and only getting a 2-game ban.

Yes, Gordon is a flipping idiot that knew the rules but decided to break them anyways.... but the NFL really needs to take a long and hard look at what's most important in terms of penalizing players for wrong-doings.

Finally, let's hope that Gordon gets the help he needs since it'll probably be a cold day in Hell before the NFL makes major changes to their recreational drug policies.

Bump Charles Johnson and Andrew Hawkins in your redraft rankings every so slightly.

This is all well and good but history says:

Step into the ring, accept the rules.

This will never change until the rules do.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd they just might.

Next time.

• Like 1

The suspension is for a calendar year, making him eligible just days before the 2015 season starts....which is also BS, because they took so long in waiting to impose the penalty that the year-long penalty they decided on affects two seasons, not just one.

I agree with Darin:

"Yes, Gordon is a flipping idiot that knew the rules but decided to break them anyways.... but the NFL really needs to take a long and hard look at what's most important in terms of penalizing players for wrong-doings."

It is ridiculous to level such harsh penalties for victimless crimes for doing something that is actually legal in a significant part of our nation.

FF-wise, I have no vested interest in Gordon this year...just a little pissed about the over-officious, critical nature of the almighty NFL. This is too much. The penalty does not fit the crime.

Well Gordon's appeal is in part responsible for the delay in the year long suspension being announced. Even if they had decided within a few days at best he'd have 2-3 weeks at the tail end of camp and the last 2-3 preseason games to get ready. This is something he risked by trying to fight the susension.

As a Browns fan I don't like that part, though I'm still not sure it really works that way. Heck if that is true it could mean he cannot even ask to be reinstated until 8/27/15, and then the NFL could take weeks/months to decide on that.

Well Gordon's appeal is in part responsible for the delay in the year long suspension being announced. Even if they had decided within a few days at best he'd have 2-3 weeks at the tail end of camp and the last 2-3 preseason games to get ready. This is something he risked by trying to fight the susension.

As a Browns fan I don't like that part, though I'm still not sure it really works that way. Heck if that is true it could mean he cannot even ask to be reinstated until 8/27/15, and then the NFL could take weeks/months to decide on that.

Yeah, agree on most, blah-bedy-blah on the delay part, the NFL held it for almost a month, and in general, I'm just PO'd that the NFL has policies that allow for two game suspensions for clocking a defenseless female, and 12-month suspensions for victimless crimes. Not a happy camper today.

• Like 1

Just read this in a local story about the suspension, regarding length and when he can apply for reinstatement

"The NFL will decide after the season when Gordon will be eligible to apply for re-instatement with Commissioner Roger Goodell, a league spokesman said in a statement. Normally, a player in Gordon's situation would have to wait a full calendar year to apply -- and that can still happen -- but the NFL is leaving the door open for Gordon to get back sooner."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/josh_gordon_suspended_by_nfl.html#incart_2box

Just read this in a local story about the suspension, regarding length and when he can apply for reinstatement

"The NFL will decide after the season when Gordon will be eligible to apply for re-instatement with Commissioner Roger Goodell, a league spokesman said in a statement. Normally, a player in Gordon's situation would have to wait a full calendar year to apply -- and that can still happen -- but the NFL is leaving the door open for Gordon to get back sooner."

http://www.cleveland...tml#incart_2box

True...if he's a good little boy and doesn't sue them.