[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tight End History

DMD

I ran some stats and at least back through 2003 there has never been a week with 22 tight end TDs and I feel very certain ever since any weeks with 18+ were in the last three years. And we have two games tonight so it could go higher.

TE stats are always higher in the first month but the highest ever for TDs? Watching games yesterday I thought that the defenses were really good for a season opener. It seems to me that all the attention given to WRs in drafts may not be quite as productive as we hoped and what the past few seasons suggested.

Just week one... but already setting an all-time record for TE TDs is sort of concerning to me.

• Like 2

I for one hope Eifert continues to be a beast. Going into the season after Gronk and possibly Graham projections showed a huge drop off in points in all the rest but after one week this group is neck and neck. In pre-season a lot of people expecting a drop off for Kelce and also saying he was going too high. The next couple of weeks should be very interesting. Also you did a great job in the sleeper and value plays for TE.

Edited by Scorcher

Ya all my early WR drafts where I waited on RBs and TEs didn't play out too well in about half my leagues. Although I did have Eifert in 3 Gronk in 1 and Kelce in 1 of my other leagues it's no coincidence I won those and lost all the ones with OBJ and Dez and Demarius and Calvin and on and on and on. Disappointing day for top WR yesterday while it was historic for TEs.

Want more? The AZ TE had 82 yds.

Sounds like nothing (and mostly is I guess) but that was the most yds by an AZ TE in 26 years.

Something's up. :)

I must check Revelations. I think there is something in there like this about the Cardinals. :scared:

My thoughts is this trend is going to continue, I really think we can call it the Gronk Effect. The mismatches he creates has other teams dialing up the athletic TE's to go crazy in the middle of the field. More teams running 2 TE sets, with guys who can catch, run routes and are fast, not just slabs of blocking meat.

The reverse of this, is the small WR's like Brown now going crazy. The corners and safeties are now much bigger to combat the recent trend of huge WRs and big TE's, now the small route running speed guys are killing those big corners.

Am I babbling or does this make any sense?

So to all Owen Daniels owners... I'm on the fence with him. He put up a goose egg this past week and obviously Manning looked old. I've read that some people are cutting ties with him. The thing that worries me is Manning might go off and throw him a TD or two and then I'd end up regretting cutting him. My backup is Julius Thomas. Only decent TEs left on waiver wire are Rudolph, heath miller, ladarius green. Should I stick it out until Julius Thomas comes back or cut Owen for a heath miller or upside guy like ladarius green? Thoughts??

My thoughts is this trend is going to continue, I really think we can call it the Gronk Effect. The mismatches he creates has other teams dialing up the athletic TE's to go crazy in the middle of the field. More teams running 2 TE sets, with guys who can catch, run routes and are fast, not just slabs of blocking meat.

The reverse of this, is the small WR's like Brown now going crazy. The corners and safeties are now much bigger to combat the recent trend of huge WRs and big TE's, now the small route running speed guys are killing those big corners.

Am I babbling or does this make any sense?

It's going to continue until defenses revamp themselves to take away that kind of player (may take several years, may take finding the 6'5', fast athletic guy that can't catch that well and putting him on the field to cover those TEs). Then offenses will retool when someone finds something that works (maybe a resurgence of workhorse RBs, maybe more spread sets, who knows) and offenses will load up on the kinds of players that exploit the current defensive trends, then the defenses retool for that and offenses make new adjustments.

Just a cyclical nature.

Edited by Big Country

I must check Revelations. I think there is something in there like this about the Cardinals. :scared:

Think about it. Name all the great Cardinal TEs. Ever.

There was...........well, there was always, ................well if you go WAY back there was................

*crickets*