[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

commissioner question

joey2stix

As commish of my league, I'm curious as to how everyone breaks down their payouts in their leagues. Our league has always paid the top 3 finishers in the playoffs. Should 3rd place be happy with their entry fee back, or do they deserve a little more? 12 team league. Thanks in advance for your insight!

As commish of my league, I'm curious as to how everyone breaks down their payouts in their leagues. Our league has always paid the top 3 finishers in the playoffs. Should 3rd place be happy with their entry fee back, or do they deserve a little more? 12 team league. Thanks in advance for your insight!

Top position player in each category gets $20 and then split remaining money between H2H and Overall Points. Winners receive 65% for 1st, 25% for 2nd, 10% for 3rd of their pots. Typically have to be in 1st or 2nd of one of the categories to make equal/more then your money back.

12 team league.

Pot is split 75% for playoff teams and 25% for total points. 6 make playoffs and the top 4 in the playoffs get their fees back and top 2 then split about half the playoff pot. League winner gets about 40% of playoff pot, runner up gets about 25-30% of the playoff pot.

Top 3 in total points split the points pool 50-30-20%. Last year the league winner was also total points winner and he took over 50% of the total available money

Here is what we do

* The entry fee will be $70 in 2015. The $840 collected will be awarded as follows: 1st=$385, 2nd=$210, 3rd=$105, 4th=$70, 5th&6th=$35.

12 teams, so at least half get something, and top 4 get at least their fee back. We also have a pot for roster moves ($2 each) that is split by the top 3 in points (50/30/20%) and a weekly high score prize $24 (we each kick in $2 per week for that).

ETA: Points pot ended up being $282 this year (over 140 paid roster moves), the 3 teams splitting that money are all in the playoffs, 2 of them with a first round bye. Pretty good chance one of them wins it all. If the guy who won the points pot wins it all he'll take home close to $600 ($385 for first, $141 for points, plus about $70 for winning 3 weekly high score priczes). Not bad for an entry fee of about $100 (includes league fee and $25 for weekly high score pots).

Edited by stevegrab

This wasn't determined BEFORE the fees were paid, draft, and/or season started???

Oh for sure, this was set up prior to the draft. 12 team league, $100 entry. 3 division winners get $40 each, champ gets $580, 2nd gets $275, and 3rd gets $150. 3 division winners and next best 3 make playoffs, other 6 teams play losers bracket playoffs, with the winner getting 1/2 price entry next season. I was just curious as to how everyone else pays out/breaks down the pot.

Edited by joey2stix

3 weekly payouts ($5 each)

• Highest scoring team
  • Highest scoring player started
  • Highest victory margin

3 weekly annual payouts ($5 each)

• Team with highest weekly score of the year
  • Player (started) with the highest weekly score
  • Team with the highest victory margin

2 annual payouts ($15 each)

• Team with highest points scored for
  • Team with highest points scored against

Remainder of kitty paid out on a percentage basis

• 50.00% - 1st place
  • 20.00% - 2nd place
  • 12.50% - 3rd place
  • 7.00% - 4th place
  • 4.50% - 5th place
  • 3.5% - 6th place
  • 2.5% - 7th place (Toilet Bowl winner)

3 weekly payouts ($5 each)

• Highest scoring team
  • Highest scoring player started
  • Highest victory margin

3 weekly annual payouts ($5 each)

• Team with highest weekly score of the year
  • Player (started) with the highest weekly score
  • Team with the highest victory margin

2 annual payouts ($15 each)

• Team with highest points scored for
  • Team with highest points scored against

Remainder of kitty paid out on a percentage basis

• 50.00% - 1st place
  • 20.00% - 2nd place
  • 12.50% - 3rd place
  • 7.00% - 4th place
  • 4.50% - 5th place
  • 3.5% - 6th place
  • 2.5% - 7th place (Toilet Bowl winner)

That is an insane structure. 8 man has less money to begin with, and then you pay out 7 places?

That is an insane structure. 8 man has less money to begin with, and then you pay out 7 places?

12 teams

The goal is to keep everybody playing as long as possible. Paying 1st thru 6th places allows for double elimination for all teams in the playoffs. 6 teams play in the toilet bowl for 1 payout.

My league is 12 teams with 2 divisions. We don't have add drop fees anymore so this is how I break it up.

Division winners - $100 each

1st place - 55% and championship sweatshirt

2nd place - 30%

3rd place - 15%

Toilet bowl - entry fee back which is $85

Having the toilet bowl winner get their entry fee back does wonders for keeping everyone competitive the entire season.

We use to split the add drop fees between the division winners but it was just to big a pain trying to collect that money at the end of the year.

Edited by Finn5033

We use to split the add drop fees between the division winners but it was just to big a pain trying to collect that money at the end of the year.

We had the same issues with collecting at the end of the year. We solved this by increasing the league fees to add the avg of the previous few years WW pool. This way you collect everyone's fees at the start of the year plus since moves are now "free" it tended to keep people from playing injured or bye week players because they didn't want to pay the few bucks for a WW move and the payouts remained the same.

My 12-team leagues are running for the past 12 years like this. Our philosophy is to keep GMs involved as long as possible, so our regular season is 14 weeks. We have a Championship Bracket for the top 4 teams for weeks 15 & 16. This determines 1st through 4th.

We also have a Consolation bracket for the 5th - 8th place teams in weeks 15 & 16 with the winner of that bracket earning his entry fee back.

Using a $100 entry fee as an example: Prize pool = $1,200

Prizes:

5th place (Consolation Bracket Winner): $100 (entry fee)

4th place: $150

3rd place: $200

2nd place: $250

Champ: $500

We had the same issues with collecting at the end of the year. We solved this by increasing the league fees to add the avg of the previous few years WW pool. This way you collect everyone's fees at the start of the year plus since moves are now "free" it tended to keep people from playing injured or bye week players because they didn't want to pay the few bucks for a WW move and the payouts remained the same.

We added our weekly category prizes (see above) to help address this issue. Once your unpaid fees exceed $30 you no longer qualify for the weekly categories. In addition, once your unpaid fees exceed $30 your roster is frozen (but you can still submit lineups).

It really blows that collecting fees from people after the season is over is a problem. We usually don't have a problem, if you win money (at least 6 get something, usually more with weekly high score prizes) we take it out of that. And as soon as the playoffs are over the commissioner personally delivers your winnings (in cash), to the owners at work, or visits those who are not in our office.

But occassionally we have an owner or two who win nothing, owe $20-30 and drag their feet on paying. We're not a bunch of broke college kids, and I find deplorable that an owner cannot just write a check, money order whatever and mail to the commissioner. Instead the commish has to use his own money to finish the payouts and wait on the loser. One guy even had the nerve one year to email the commish back saying "what the big deal its only a few bucks, I'll get it to you when I can." The response was "EXACTLY, just a few bucks, so I should have gotten it shortly after asking you for it, not weeks/months later!"

• Like 1

It really blows that collecting fees from people after the season is over is a problem. We usually don't have a problem, if you win money (at least 6 get something, usually more with weekly high score prizes) we take it out of that. And as soon as the playoffs are over the commissioner personally delivers your winnings (in cash), to the owners at work, or visits those who are not in our office.

But occassionally we have an owner or two who win nothing, owe $20-30 and drag their feet on paying. We're not a bunch of broke college kids, and I find deplorable that an owner cannot just write a check, money order whatever and mail to the commissioner. Instead the commish has to use his own money to finish the payouts and wait on the loser. One guy even had the nerve one year to email the commish back saying "what the big deal its only a few bucks, I'll get it to you when I can." The response was "EXACTLY, just a few bucks, so I should have gotten it shortly after asking you for it, not weeks/months later!"

That blows. That's why we collect fees before the season starts.

That blows. That's why we collect fees before the season starts.

Just to be clear I am not talking about the annual league fee, that is to be paid at the draft. This is money for roster moves, they cost $2 each and there is no way to collect that upfront.

We did have some trouble with one owner paying extremely late a few times, so this year we added some restrictions on managing your team if payment is late, starting small ($10 late fee) and escalating each week (cannot win weekly high score prize, no roster moves up through selling the franchise). Our fee is $75, and another $26 if you want to play in the weekly high score game (almost everybody is in). This isn't big $, and if you cannot afford it you should not play.

• Like 1

Just to be clear I am not talking about the annual league fee, that is to be paid at the draft. This is money for roster moves, they cost $2 each and there is no way to collect that upfront.

We did have some trouble with one owner paying extremely late a few times, so this year we added some restrictions on managing your team if payment is late, starting small ($10 late fee) and escalating each week (cannot win weekly high score prize, no roster moves up through selling the franchise). Our fee is $75, and another $26 if you want to play in the weekly high score game (almost everybody is in). This isn't big $, and if you cannot afford it you should not play.

Oh my bad, that makes sense.

It does seem like a simple thing to collect the fees at the end of the season. At least you would think so. I know the guys in my league had no intentions of not paying it's just a busy time of year and people forget, then I forget to remind them etc. Everyone always got paid, I was the one that was taking the hit. The transaction money usually came out to right around $200 every year. So I changed the entry fee from $65 to $85 which is collected at the draft. That was the perfect amount to cover $100 each for division winners and $40 to have the championship sweatshirt made. It is just so much easier and actually all the guys in the league like it better too which I was surprised about. There are guys in my league that make less than 10 transactions a year and some that make 30+. I'm surprised the low guys didn't fight it.

Edited by Finn5033

It does seem like a simple thing to collect the fees at the end of the season. At least you would think so. I know the guys in my league had no intentions of not paying it's just a busy time of year and people forget, then I forget to remind them etc. Everyone always got paid, I was the one that was taking the hit. The transaction money usually came out to right around $200 every year. So I changed the entry fee from $65 to $85 which is collected at the draft. That was the perfect amount to cover $100 each for division winners and $40 to have the championship sweatshirt made. It is just so much easier and actually all the guys in the league like it better too which I was surprised about. There are guys in my league that make less than 10 transactions a year and some that make 30+. I'm surprised the low guys didn't fight it.

Do you mean your league changed this, or you as commish made the decision alone? Sounds like you decided and your league was ok with that.

We never change rules like this without a vote, and I know some of our owners would be against it. Especially since we have one owner who makes way more moves than anybody else. He has led the league in that for years (the money doesn't matter to him) and made 34 roster moves, the next highest was 17, 2 owners only made 5 roste rmoves. The average is about 10.

We did add the penalties to handle teams not paying on time this year without a vote, and told the owners it was our decision and done to combat the 1-2 owners dragging their feet in paying. Since the majority pay at the draft (or within the first week) nobody was going to complain.