[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Forte announces the Bears will not re-sign him

Montana is da Man

The salary cap has been set at $155.27 million. That's $12 million more than last year and $35 million more than 2012. 5 teams have more than $50 million in cap room. Forte is worth $3 million just as a 3rd down back. He's probably worth at least $1 million a year in ticket, concession, and merchandise revenue for a team. He's one of the good guys.

Several bad, but improving teams like Jacksonville and Oakland will offer him big bucks. A couple of good teams will offer him $5-$6 million a year. He'll have to accept $3 million if he wants to play for the Patriots. No one will give him much money guaranteed past the first year.

The salary cap has been set at $155.27 million. That's $12 million more than last year and $35 million more than 2012. 5 teams have more than $50 million in cap room. Forte is worth $3 million just as a 3rd down back. He's probably worth at least $1 million a year in ticket, concession, and merchandise revenue for a team. He's one of the good guys.

Several bad, but improving teams like Jacksonville and Oakland will offer him big bucks. A couple of good teams will offer him $5-$6 million a year. He'll have to accept $3 million if he wants to play for the Patriots. No one will give him much money guaranteed past the first year.

I'd don't understand why you still think someone will offer him $5 mil. Your stubbornness would be commendable if it was called determination but at the end, it's just incorrect and hard-headed

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4685/matt-forte

• Like 1

I'd don't understand why you still think someone will offer him $5 mil. Your stubbornness would be commendable if it was called determination but at the end, it's just incorrect and hard-headed

So I have to agree with you or I'm stubborn, incorrect and hard-headed? You are quoting an anonymous source at the Combine from a fantasy football site. The anonymous source is probably a general manager who wants Forte on the cheap.

No one knows for how much Forte will sign. No one can read the minds of 32 general managers.

Edited by michaelredd9

So I have to agree with you or I'm stubborn, incorrect and hard-headed? You are quoting an anonymous source at the Combine from a fantasy football site. The anonymous source is probably a general manager who wants Forte on the cheap.

No one knows for how much Forte will sign. No one can read the minds of 32 general managers.

The link goes to 2 different reports both with numbers under $5 million (Feb 29 & Feb 14). I'm not sure what sort of precedent you are calling on to think a 31 yo RB is going to get $5 mil but it ain't happening.

You don't have to agree with me to be stubborn, incorrect and hard-headed :)

The link goes to 2 different reports both with numbers under $5 million (Feb 29 & Feb 14). I'm not sure what sort of precedent you are calling on to think a 31 yo RB is going to get $5 mil but it ain't happening.

You don't have to agree with me to be stubborn, incorrect and hard-headed :)

Both reports site ESPN reporter Jeremy Fowler (basically a kid). Here is Jeremy's bio when he switched from college football to the NFL in 2014:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/142154/now-joining-cleveland-browns-beat-jeremy-fowler

Hi, I'm Jeremy from Cleveland.

Well, I've never actually been to Cleveland, but my first step onto Northern Ohio soil will be as a Cleveland resident.

Save me a spot in The Flats.

My name is Jeremy Fowler, and as of Tuesday, I'll be on the ground as a senior NFL writer for ESPN and ESPN's NFL Nation, covering the Cleveland Browns and helping with overall league coverage. I'll work closely with NFL Nation's Pat McManamon, who's been a go-to source on the Browns this season.

Man, I'm just a kid from Orlando, Florida, moving to LeBron's land by way of Florida, New Mexico, Minnesota and Illinois.

I spent the last two years as a Chicago-based national college football insider for CBSSports.com, where I watched the Browns' prized first-round quarterback throw darts in the SEC and dart from NCAA punishment over autograph allegations while at Texas A&M.

Before Johnny Manziel, my up-close experience covering captivating quarterbacks included two seasons of Tim Tebow as a Florida Gators beat writer and one year of Brett Favre in Minnesota -- chronicling his odd, achy and distraction-ridden final season. Both guys had a way of commanding attention, in very contrasting styles. Who knows if Manziel will reach the same levels of fascination, but as NFL interest in him mushrooms, the next few years promise to entertain.

The Browns seem to be in a relatively stable place. They have young talent on both sides and reliable quarterback play from Brian Hoyer, and they probably could be 3-0 right now -- or is it 0-3?

Either way, navigating a brutal three-game stretch with an average minus-1.0 point differential is an encouraging start. I know, I know, it's hard to define the Browns by the numbers when the numbers say six straight seasons of double-digit losses.

But as their bye week arrives, they'll aim to start turning their season around, and then in Week 5 they'll take LP Field in Nashville to face the Titans. Make sure to join me on Twitter at @JFowlerESPN as we watch it all shake out.

Edited by michaelredd9

Both reports site ESPN reporter Jeremy Fowler (basically a kid). Here is Jeremy's bio when he switched from college football to the NFL in 2014:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/142154/now-joining-cleveland-browns-beat-jeremy-fowler

Hi, I'm Jeremy from Cleveland.........

I'm not sure what sort of precedent you are calling on to think a 31 yo RB is going to get $5 mil .

Well he's come down quite a bit from his $10 mill a year from a week ago so give him credit for that.

• Like 1

I still think Oakland or Jacksonville would give Forte $10 million for a year.

I'd put money on that bet if you're up for a wager

Well - I am just not in tune with the market I guess. I think he's worth over $5M by quite a lot. He has low mileage for his age, and has at least 2/3 years still in him.

I don't disagree that he should be worth that but its just not they way NFL GMs have run teams (excluding Grigson overpaying Gore). Once a RB hits 30 he's lucky to have a job

Like the Jags, but I think Oakland is happy with Murray. I reckon they'll spend their money on the defensive line.

This is a moot point. He has said winning is his focus. Obviously none of us are in his head to determine what kind of money he would sacrifice to play for a winner, but I believe that if the Jags came knocking with $10 mil/year and the Patriots offered him something around $5 million/year, I think he would gladly take the latter.

Just because there are teams willing to pay that much for him, does not make them realistic options.

This is a moot point. He has said winning is his focus. Obviously none of us are in his head to determine what kind of money he would sacrifice to play for a winner, but I believe that if the Jags came knocking with $10 mil/year and the Patriots offered him something around $5 million/year, I think he would gladly take the latter.

Just because there are teams willing to pay that much for him, does not make them realistic options.

Not saying he WILL sign with either. I voiced my opinions on the matter earlier in the thread. Personally think Miami or New York would be great fits for him because those teams already have some pieces in place and have a shot to push through this year with a little help. I was simply addressing the speculation between Oakland and Jacksonville.

Not saying he WILL sign with either. I voiced my opinions on the matter earlier in the thread. Personally think Miami or New York would be great fits for him because those teams already have some pieces in place and have a shot to push through this year with a little help. I was simply addressing the speculation between Oakland and Jacksonville.

I know you weren't saying that. I wasn't quoting you.

Well - I am just not in tune with the market I guess. I think he's worth over $5M by quite a lot. He has low mileage for his age, and has at least 2/3 years still in him.

Not saying you're wrong, but wondering how you know this?

Forte came into the league one year after Lynch, has 2522 total touches compared to Lynch's 2396 (126 more...)

Maybe/probably not a perfect or fair comparison, but I'm just wondering how you came to the conclusion he has 2-3 years left in the tank?

I would have guessed he has 1 decent year then maybe one poor-mediocre year. But I really have no way of knowing other than comparing to a recently retired career workhorse. But that is a sample size of one, so....

Not saying you're wrong, but wondering how you know this?

Forte came into the league one year after Lynch, has 2522 total touches compared to Lynch's 2396 (126 more...)

Maybe/probably not a perfect or fair comparison, but I'm just wondering how you came to the conclusion he has 2-3 years left in the tank?

I would have guessed he has 1 decent year then maybe one poor-mediocre year. But I really have no way of knowing other than comparing to a recently retired career workhorse. But that is a sample size of one, so....

Not gonna put words in the guy's mouth but I would suspect that a guy like Forte has less miles on him as compared to a guy like Lynch. Different style of running. A disproportionate amount of those additional touches came through the air. You just don't get hit the same taking swing passes, dump offs, etc... than you do banging between the tackles like Lynch did.

He hasn't had many injuries. A nagging injury here and there, but nothing that would cause him to break down faster just based on age.

:shrug: I dunno... 2-3 years sounds about right. Even with all that mileage. Look at a guy like Fred Jackson. 35 years old.

Not gonna put words in the guy's mouth but I would suspect that a guy like Forte has less miles on him as compared to a guy like Lynch. Different style of running. A disproportionate amount of those additional touches came through the air. You just don't get hit the same taking swing passes, dump offs, etc... than you do banging between the tackles like Lynch did.

He hasn't had many injuries. A nagging injury here and there, but nothing that would cause him to break down faster just based on age.

:shrug: I dunno... 2-3 years sounds about right. Even with all that mileage. Look at a guy like Fred Jackson. 35 years old.

Fair enough

Lynch hasn't had any major injuries either to my knowledge aside from a few naggers and the sports hernia thing. Also according to the googler Forte had a season ending knee injury in college, for what it's worth...

Actually, I took another look at the stats, and when you factor in almost another season Lynch played in playoff games (compared to Forte's single playoff game), what you said about the difference in carries vs receptions makes sense.

Lynch: 2307 carries, 264 catches, 2571 total

Forte: 2077 carries, 500 catches, 2577 total

(incl. playoffs)

so only a difference of 6 touches, but forte's had almost twice as many catches, and 230 less carries. which is approximately the number of carries a workhorse would have in a season. so idk, i guess with a more limited role in a committee i could see him having a solid 2 maybe 3 more years.

Edited by pun

It's also worth noting that Lynch had a kinda Kurt Cobain complex with the whole NFL thing. A lot can be said for the desire to play when comparing Forte and Lynch.

Edited by AX2RUN
  • Like 2

There is a LOT more money available this year. Cap went up $15M per team. There's over $1BILLION in cap space for teams to spend. I think Forte's offers surprise a lot of people. He's clearly got a lot left in the tank, a lot more than Lynch had last year. The cheapass Patriots aren't the only contender that might want to add an RB. Gore and Forsett are fractions of the RB Forte is today and they each got bigger contracts being speculated about here, and they got those before this huge cap boost. Teams find ways to get impact players, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in ARI, SEA, DAL, WAS, HOU, BAL, or a lot of other places.

Forte for many years, never had goal line duty, never had to find the tough yards between the tackles. It frustrated the crap out of him, but has probably prolonged his career.

He actually was looking much more explosive and faster as the years went on. I don't think you've seen a drop off in any skill/speed, just more of an injury risk.

And none of us know any of this - we have opinions, and my opinion after seeing Forte and how he has kept himself in shape, should have another 2-3 years of very good football.

Forte for many years, never had goal line duty, never had to find the tough yards between the tackles. It frustrated the crap out of him, but has probably prolonged his career.

He actually was looking much more explosive and faster as the years went on. I don't think you've seen a drop off in any skill/speed, just more of an injury risk.

And none of us know any of this - we have opinions, and my opinion after seeing Forte and how he has kept himself in shape, should have another 2-3 years of very good football.

His stats say otherwise. And if that were true why did the Bears begin to phase him out last year.

His stats say otherwise. And if that were true why did the Bears begin to phase him out last year.

Economics and two young RB's that allow them to address serious needs at other positions. They drafted well with Langford and actually gave Carey a chance to do something, and the new staff are in love with him.

Two different offensive schemes in two years sure make stats pretty inconsistent, don't you think?