[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ESPN's Heisman Top 10

Kansas State 2000

Every program has had it's good years and bad years. OU typically is very good, but for a while Neb beat em up and Texas beat em up. Now OU is kickin' butt and that's awesome for them. But all programs go through cycles. Same with Arizona, ASU, USC, ND... all of these teams. Ups and downs. But OU on average is a very solid team. One of the best programs year in and year out. But any team could win on any given night. So while OU may beat Arizona 19 out of 20 games, Arizona could win with a little luck. So let's just chill for now and get back to the Heisman talk. I mean it could be worse, you could be a Huskie fan like me. Talk about a program in disarray. :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMMFAO, I did a lil research on Arizona football history and this is more bleak than I could have ever imagined

http://www.arizonaathletics.com/ViewArticl...00&ATCLID=66098

The full history on the University Of Arizona Website

A timeline of Arizona Football History

Drop-kicker/receiver Harold "Nosey" McClellan leads the nation in scoring with 124 points. Wildcats finish the regular season 7-1, are invited to UA's first bowl game, the East-West Christmas Classic in San Diego, to play powerhouse Centre College of Kentucky.

October 18, 1926

UA quarterback and student body president John "Button" Salmon dies from injuries sustained in a car wreck. His final words, spoken to coach "Pop" McKale, are: "Tell them.....tell the team to Bear Down." Soon thereafter, the UA student body adopts "Bear Down" as the school's athletic motto.

October 12,1929

Arizona Stadium opens. In the official stadium dedication game, Arizona beats Cal Tech 35-0.

Bill "The Eel" Hargis becomes the first Wildcat to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.

1933-37

Coach Gerald "Tex" Oliver's "Blue Brigade" plays an expanded, more nationwide schedule, compiles a record of 31-11-4, and produces UA's first All-Americans: halfback Ted Bland (1935), fullback Walt Nielson (1937), and center Tom Greenfield (1938). The team's 1938 record of 8-2 was a school best to date.

UA leads the nation in passing offense, and end Hank "Birdlegs" Stanton leads the nation in pass receiving and is named All-America.

Quarterback Fred W. Enke leads the nation in total offense.

In its first televised game, broadcast statewide, UA beats Arizona State 35-0.

In his first game as starting halfback, sophomore Art Luppino rushes for 228 yards on only six carries and scores 32 points. He goes on to lead the nation in rushing, scoring, all-purpose running, and kickoff returns.

Art Luppino becomes the first player in NCAA history to lead the nation in rushing twice. He also ties for the national title in all-purpose running and is third in scoring.

Dave "The Roadrunner" Hibbert leads the nation in pass receiving.

Coached by Jim LaRue and led by quarterback Eddie Wilson and "Touchdown Twins" Bobby Lee "The General" Thompson and "Jackrabbit" Joe Hernandez, Arizona compiles a record of 8-1-1, UA's best to date, and breaks into the National Top 20 for the first time.

1974-75

Coach Jim Young's Wildcats compile back-to-back 9-2 seasons, UA's first nine-win campaigns. Receiver Theopolis "T" Bell is named All-America and fullback Jim Upchurch becomes the second Wildcat to rush for 1,000 yards for two consecutive seasons.

Arizona enters the Pacific-10 Conference.

1980-83

Tom Tunnicliffe shatters UA career records for passing and total offense.

1982-83

Linebacker Ricky Hunley becomes UA's first consensus All-American, an honor he receives two consecutive years.

1982-85

Place-kicker Max Zendejas breaks Art Luppino's career scoring record.

Coached by Larry Smith and led by 1,000yd. rusher David Adams, Arizona finishes 9-3, defeating North Carolina in the Aloha Bowl.

Defensive back Chuck Cecil receives consensus All-America, Academic All-America, and NCAA Top Six honors.

All-American Darryll Lewis wins the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's best defensive back.

1991-94

Ontiwaun Carter breaks Art Luppino's career rushing record.

Arizona's "Desert Swarm"defense is born. UA leads the nation in scoring defense and nose guard Rob Waldrop is a consensus All-American.

"Desert Swarm" leads the nation in rushing defense and achieves its first 10-victory season, defeating Miami 29-0 in the Fiesta Bowl. Rob Waldrop is named UPI Lineman of the Year, FWAA Outstanding Defensive Player, Outland Trophy winner, and unanimous All-American.

Steve McLaughlin wins the Lou Groza Award as the nation's best place-kicker.

Defensive lineman Tedy Bruschi is named Unanimous All-America.

Center Wayne Wyatt earns National Football Foundation/Hall of Fame Scholar-Athlete honors and is UA's 13th football Academic All-American

Former linebacker Ricky Hunley becomes UA's first College Football Hall of Fame inductee.

Arizona wins 12 games, beats Nebraska 23-20 in the Holiday Bowl and finishes ranked number four in the country, its highest ranking ever. Consensus All-America Chris McAllister wins the Tatupu Award as the nation's best special teams player.

Former coach Jim Young becomes UA's first coach inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

ARZ best season ever was 1998 when it won 12 games, and won the Holiday bowl. Coudlnt even get in the Rose Bowl in its best season ever. Highest final ranking ever was #4 that yr.

1993 was the schools first 10 win season.

has ARZ ever even won a Pac-10 title, ever, surely doesnt mention it. Have they even ever been to the Rosebowl. And you claim I dont know anything about Arz history. What is the to know, its bleak as hell, outright embarassing Id say.

http://tournamentofroses.com/history/bowlscores.htm

Rose Bowl Game Results

1902 Michigan 49 Stanford 0

1916 Washington State 14 Brown 0

1917 Oregon 14 Pennsylvania 0

1918 Mare Island - USMC 19 Camp Lewis - US Army 7

1919 Great Lakes - US Navy 17 Mare Island 0

1920 Harvard 7 Oregon 6

1921 California 28 Ohio State 0

1922 California 0 Washington & Jefferson 0

1923 USC 14 Penn State 3

1924 Washington 14 Navy 14

1925 Notre Dame 27 Stanford 10

1926 Alabama 20 Washington 19

1927 Stanford 7 Alabama 7

1928 Stanford 7 Pittsburgh 6

1929 Georgia Tech 8 California 7

1930 USC 47 Pittsburgh 14

1931 Alabama 24 Washington State 0

1932 USC 21 Tulane 12

1933 USC 35 Pittsburgh 0

1934 Columbia 7 Stanford 0

1935 Alabama 29 Stanford 13

1936 Stanford 7 SMU 0

1937 Pittsburgh 21 Washington 0

1938 California 13 Alabama 0

1939 USC 7 Duke 3

1940 USC 14 Tennessee 0

1941 Stanford 21 Nebraska 13

1942 Oregon State 20 Duke 16

1943 Georgia 9 UCLA 0

1944 USC 29 Washington 0

1945 USC 25 Tennessee 0

1946 Alabama 34 USC 14

1947 Illinois 45 UCLA 14

1948 Michigan 49 USC 0

1949 Northwestern 20 California 14

1950 Ohio State 17 California 14

1951 Michigan 14 California 6

1952 Illinois 40 Stanford 7

1953 USC 7 Wisconsin 0

1954 Michigan State 28 UCLA 20

1955 Ohio State 20 USC 7

1956 Michigan State 17 UCLA 14

1957 Iowa 35 Oregon State 19

1958 Ohio State 10 Oregon 7

1959 Iowa 38 California 12

1960 Washington 44 Wisconsin 8

1961 Washington 17 Minnesota 7

1962 Minnesota 21 UCLA 3

1963 USC 42 Wisconsin 37

1964 Illinois 17 Washington 7

1965 Michigan 34 Oregon State 7

1966 UCLA 14 Michigan State 12

1967 Purdue 14 USC 13

1968 USC 14 Indiana 3

1969 Ohio State 27 USC 16

1970 USC 10 Michigan 3

1971 Stanford 27 Ohio State 17

1972 Stanford 13 Michigan 12

1973 USC 42 Ohio State 17

1974 Ohio State 42 USC 21

1975 USC 18 Ohio State 17

1976 UCLA 23 Ohio State 10

1977 USC 14 Michigan 6

1978 Washington 27 Michigan 20

1979 USC 17 Michigan 10

1980 USC 17 Ohio State 16

1981 Michigan 23 Washington 6

1982 Washington 28 Iowa 0

1983 UCLA 24 Michigan 14

1984 UCLA 45 Illinois 9

1985 USC 20 Ohio State 17

1986 UCLA 45 Iowa 28

1987 Arizona State 22 Michigan 15

1988 Michigan State 20 USC 17

1989 Michigan 22 USC 14

1990 USC 17 Michigan 10

1991 Washington 46 Iowa 34

1992 Washington 34 Michigan 14

1993 Michigan 38 Washington 31

1994 Wisconsin 21 UCLA 16

1995 Penn State 38 Oregon 20

1996 USC 41 Northwestern 32

1997 Ohio State 20 Arizona State 17

1998 Michigan 21 Washington State 16

1999 Wisconsin 38 UCLA 31

2000 Wisconsin 17 Stanford 9

2001 Washington 34 Purdue 24

2002 Miami 37 Nebraska 14

2003 Oklahoma 34 Washington State 14

2004 USC 28 Michigan 14

2005 | History | Merchandise | Applications | Marketing | Media

© 2004 Tournament of Roses. All rights reserved.

Holy Athena, Arizona has never even been to a Rosebowl.

This sad sack team has never even had a Heisman Trophy.

OU accomplished last yr more than Arz has in its history. Ending the yr at #3 in the country, White Winning the Heisman, playing in a Championship game, and having 5 All-Americans. And all this on a down yr for the Sooners as they finished the yr with 2 loses, regardless of the reasons.

And this Opraher wants to compare history of Oklahoma football and ARZ

Can someone please shut this idiot up, before he really embarasses himself.

Your new nickname is "The Joke"

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Sorry fellas, back to heisman talk.  I just had to put that Opraher in his place, and he made it so easy, when he opened his mouth.  He should never make that mistake again, even to eat.

397373[/snapback]

I must really be striking a chord with you. I am glad to see that you spent some time looking through PAC 10 history. I am glad that you did that on my accord. That was my whole agenda with this OU fembot. Get him off the OU 1000 yard stare for a little bit and see the rest of the country. Now, he is reduced to slamming on AZ. Jump on board Megan Fox bag, they are easy prey. I guess when you're a front runner, you never experience when a team goes bad for a while or forever like AZ. I have been put in my place sargy, and I will be able to take losses from AZ, but I know you won't be able to without some stupid excuse to why OU loses. He was hurt, or they were flat, or the coach did this or that. Wa wa wa... :D

Yes, that is my old screen name.  Anyway to get that member # again?

397863[/snapback]

With the migration to Invision, all the old numbers were changed. So your old account changed from #143 to #91.

Send a PM or e-mail to WW saying you lost the password/e-mail for that account and he will fix it so you can use the #91 account.

blaming OU's final two losses on injury is just pathetic. sorry but they got their asses handed to them by KSU, "injury" or not. sadly, you're the first sooner fan i've heard personally complain about injury. on the flipside, i agree every conference should either play a conference title game, or no conference should play a conference title game. at the same time, i dont think a team that loses their conference title game (ou) should have the opportunity to win the national title, because how can you be the best in the nation if you're not the best in your own conference? (including my own cornhuskers in 2001, who did not belong in the game vs. miami at all) anyway, dailey for heisman :D:D

Well hell.... not to toot Whites' horn...but he is looking much better this year than any of the previous what feels like 50 years....what is he like a 25th yr senior????

I have been to both OU games and White in my opinion looks better than he ever has in the past!!!! Even before either one of his knee explosions!!!! He also seems to be more fit now, even more so than when I watched his early college and late high school games!!!!!! Yall can look back at my old post's (fish-boy) and see I was bashin White and in no way did I feel he deserved it last year....but this is a new year!!!!!!!!

He looks much more comfortable with the offense, and the designed rollouts are much quicker, crisper, and his cuts and runs for +yardage are a monsterous difference from his previous years at OU.

With a running game this year, (2005 Headlines!!!!>>>2005 Heisman is awarded to Adrian Peterson), Whites yardage might go down but I believe his eff. and % will go up!!!!

But whats the odds of getting this award twice???? after the fallout he had the last 2 games of last year... not too good IMO.

I think it's Leinart's to lose, and he (USC) just might do that when they face Cal.....

USC wouldnt have embarassed anyone, let alone OU. USC didnt have the corner play LSU had, so when they blitzed OU would burn them deep over and over and over all d@mn night.  It would have been a blowout as OU would have put half a hundred on them, and OU would have held USC's passing game in check with the #1 secondary in the country.  The Wac-10 is so weak its not even funny. 

Both of those coaches realize up to this point their teams look disappointing and if it isnt fixed it will be a long season.  Im not so sure the QB play of LSU can be fixed this yr with GA, and FLA looming, or the OL play of USC.  USC just doesnt play anyone but Cal, so hopefully for their sake they can win that lone meaningful game to get the chance to get blown out by OU this yr.

USC and LSU on the other hand better get their Athena together, or they won't have the right to be embarassed by the Sooners, THIS yr.

395643[/snapback]

Sgt Cryin is truly unbelievable. USC didn't look good in a 49-0 beat down over the CS Rams on Saturday? C'mon, at least Trojans play a couple real teams early in the year (VaTech, BYU) on the ROAD before getting into the Pac-10. OU gave up 24 points to Bowling Green and 13 to Houston?? Do they even play football there?? Or do they just use the guys who couldn't make the b-ball teams, which is the only sport those 2 schools care about?

And the Big12 just suffered some pretty nasty defeats - not looking as strong this year, so far IMHO. I admit its early and the Pac-10 won't be great past the top 2-3 teams either, but c'mon dude - your blinders are HUGE if you can't give some respect to teams outside your OU and Big12. Yes Sooners are good, so is KSU and Texas and even Okie State - but the rest are suspect at best.

CB Will Poole, now helping out the Dolphins on Sundays, couldn't cover people last year? The Pac-10 didn't have any decent QBs or WRs? Take a look at who he shut down last year, Sarge, and shut your diarrhea pie-hole. I'll even go so far as to say that overall the Big 12, SEC and maybe Big10+1 might be better than the Pac10 AGAIN this year - but that still doesn't mean USC can't go beat OU or LSU, or that they don't deserve a shot because they don't play a conf. championship game. Believe me, USC was dying to do that for the last 2 years and walk into the NC title game, but its just not setup that way, yet.

give us all a break, blowhard...

Sgt, There's two things you don't understand about last year's USC team. With the best defensive line in the nation, USC wouldn't have needed to blitz Oklahoma. And while the USC defense gave up passing yards, it was much tougher to pass on USC in the red zone.

White was hurt and immobile at the end of last season. He would have been a sitting duck for Udeze and company. And it wouldn't have mattered how good Oklahoma's corners were. Norm Chow would have found the weakness in the defense.

Sgt, There's two things you don't understand about last year's USC team. With the best defensive line in the nation, USC wouldn't have needed to blitz Oklahoma. And while the USC defense gave up passing yards, it was much tougher to pass on USC in the red zone.

White was hurt and immobile at the end of last season. He would have been a sitting duck for Udeze and company. And it wouldn't have mattered how good Oklahoma's corners were. Norm Chow would have found the weakness in the defense.

424689[/snapback]

I see 3 major faults with your post. OU had the best D-Line in college last yr. an all-american in Harris and 2 returning All- Americans on this yrs line that also played last yr.

Second, OU had an OL like USC had never seen before, I doubt they could have pressured White with 4, nobody else on their schedule was able to do it.

Finally, the same way Norm, figured out the Cal Defense.

There is no doubt in my mind what would have heppened last yr, but I have an easy way to eliminate all doubt. Beat Cal, and get to the Championship game this yr, and you will see for yourself when OU destroys those pretenders from the west coast.

I see 3 major faults with your post.  OU had the best D-Line in college last yr.  an all-american in Harris and 2 returning All- Americans on this yrs line that also played last yr. 

Second, OU had an OL like USC had never seen before, I doubt they could have pressured White with 4, nobody else on their schedule was able to do it.

Finally, the same way Norm, figured out the Cal Defense.

There is no doubt in my mind what would have heppened last yr, but I have an easy way to eliminate all doubt.  Beat Cal, and get to the Championship game this yr, and you will see for yourself when OU destroys those pretenders from the west coast.

424897[/snapback]

errrr. you act like usc had a ***ty line lol. if thats the post you're crazy. usc's line was way better than anybody else OU played the whole year. no disrespect man, but you all are all americans and award winners because of name. (i.e. derrick strait won the thorpe? lehman won the butkus? demorrio williams had way better #'s and played way better in games than lehman did the whole year. there was 2-3 db's who shoulda won before strait as well) so dont get TOO GIDDY about the popularity contest that is NCAA awards and NCAA all americans. anywho, not saying usc woulda won or vice versa. ill say that when the game happens. :D

errrr. you act like usc had a ***ty line lol. if thats the post you're crazy. usc's line was way better than anybody else OU played the whole year. no disrespect man, but you all are all americans and award winners because of name. (i.e. derrick strait won the thorpe? lehman won the butkus? demorrio williams had way better #'s and played way better in games than lehman did the whole year. there was 2-3 db's who shoulda won before strait as well) so dont get TOO GIDDY about the popularity contest that is NCAA awards and NCAA all americans. anywho, not saying usc woulda won or vice versa. ill say that when the game happens. :D

425038[/snapback]

LMMAO, demorrio williams couldnt carry Lehmans jock. He had more tackles because Neb offense was average at best. OU lit up 7 opponenets for 50+ pts last yr, 2 being top 11 teams at the time they played them. Lehman probably played 200 less snaps on the yr than demorrio williams, because of blowouts and the offense was on the field 38+ minutes a game for the sooners as compared to anything NU could do. And lets not get into a pissing contest about NU and OU, cause NU has already been embarassed at home this yr by an unranked Southern Mississippi team, and OU will put half a hundred on them this yr in a blowout win.

Ill gladly defend my sooners until death, homerism aside, OU is the best team in college football right now. Last yr is last yr, Im talking this yr. Nobody can stack up position for position with the Sooners, nobody. And Stoops is a top 3 coach in the land and Id put Chuck Long up against any other OC in the country. Hell even Arizona picked a stoops over the over-rated Norm Chow who is a genius against the Wac-10, until Cal comes a calling. Whats sad is Cal is the best team SC will play this yr, and they couldnt compete with 3-4 teams in the Big 12.